Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Transition from Tricycle to Taildragger

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Transition from Tricycle to Taildragger

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 07:33 PM
panzer66
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transition from Tricycle to Taildragger

I'm flying a SIG LT-40 high-wing trainer now and my second plane is a SIG Midstar 40 (shoulder wing with taildragger setup).

I'm pretty comfortable with taxing, taking-off and landing my LT-40. But I don't have any experience with a taildragger. People say a taildragger is a tricky setup, especially for ground handling.

What are the major differences between a tricycle and a taildragger in terms of ground handling (i.e. use of elevator, etc), take-off and landing? How do I practice and what do I need to pay attentions to?

I understand a taildragger requires a 3-point landing. How do I achieve that?

Any suggesttions are appreciated.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:46 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

ME 109, There is a big difference with a tail dragger. When you taxi you have to keep up elevator or the plane will nose over. When you throttle up for take do it slowly or the plane will veer to the left, you may have to feed in alittle right rudder to keep it straight. As the plane builds up speed release the up elevator and let the tail rise, if you don't the plane will jump into the air before you have enough speed and you risk a tip stall. Some of my planes land on the main wheels some on all three, it doesn't seem to matter. If you come in to hot and touch the mains only you do run the risk of ripping your gear off, don't ask me how I know. Good luck
Old 06-19-2002, 08:19 PM
Saito_56-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

My Slow Poke sport 40 was my first tail dragger, and the short moment of the Fuse, made it relly jump left if I put too much power to it all at once. It has a Saito .56 on it. I found that easing the power to it, keeping up elevator, and be ready to apply some rudder to it to keep straight, you will just lift off.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:17 PM
crosswind

Good advice from all above. Actually, landing should be no different from your trike setup. You should be flairing your tricycle ship and landing on just the mains with the tail low then letting it settle on the nose gear. The only difference will be it'll settle on the tail wheel with a tail dragger. You don't really have to touch all three wheels at the same time, but it's kinda neat when you can learn to grease it in like that! Be ready to keep it straight after touchdown, as it likely won't be as stable as your trike setup. If it starts to veer left (or right) on takeoff, be easy with the rudder correction or you may ground loop it. I know this from experience! After you get the feel of it you won't even have to think about it. Oh... it helps to have a tad of toe in on your main gear. With some planes it'll make a big difference.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:59 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was right where you are a month ago. Basically it is as everyone else has said. I just transistioned from my LT 40 to a Sig 4 Star 60 - also a Sig Rascal 40. Both tail draggers. I usually keep full up elevator while taxing. As I start the run I ease the throttle forward while centering the elevator. As the plane starts it's take off run if needed I keep a little pressure on the rudder to keep it straight. If your runway is wide enough don't really worry about this at first. Wait until the tail starts to pick up, keep it on the ground a little longer, gently apply up elevator and your off. Keep your turns gentle until you've gained airspeed. I mimic a real airplanes takeoff. Good practice for war birds .

Haven't had a bad takeoff yet. I've done about 25 or so. I'm not claiming to be an expert. Just wanted you to know it is doable.
John
Old 06-20-2002, 12:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very good advice from all above. The one thing they don't mention, and that you should be aware of (if you're not already) is the REASON tail draggers are a little more difficult that trike gear.

When you are taxiing, or on take-off roll with a nose gear, the forward motion keeps pressure on the nose gear, giving you a solid three-point contact with the ground. With a tail dragger, as you increase the throttle, the tail wheel wants to lift off of the ground (that's why you always taxi with full up elevator, that helps keep the tail down). Once you start the take-off roll, obviously, if you kept holding the full up, the plane would eventually jump into the sky and stall. So you gradually reduce it as you pick up speed, and the tail comes up before the main wheels do. (Here's where it gets INTERESTING) In the past, with a nose gear, you had 3 wheels on the ground and a good, positive "wheel to ground" steering. Now, you have 2 wheels on the ground, and you are "FLYING" the tail wheel (which, in turn, is guiding the plane down the runway).

If you make that connection in your mind. You will find it a little easier.