Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best practices for stripping old coating?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Best practices for stripping old coating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 03:05 PM
kullenwulf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best practices for stripping old coating?

I was given an older plane (I think it's a SuperSport II) that was in pretty decent shape, just needed a new coat job. I'm trying to strip this thing down, and running into a few snags.

Any of you pros out there have some suggestions to a coating newb?

Also, I've heard good and bad about Monokote, (as well as all the rest...) so I am planning on using Ultracote on this first attempt. We had a coating class at our most recent club meeting, so I'm pretty confident about getting the new stuff on, just having some trouble getting the old off. Would love to hear constructive suggestions as to preference, and why you prefer a particular coating.

First, the old coating really seems to be coming apart (leaving colored gummy stuff behind) when I try to peel it off. I've tried using a heat gun to assist, and that helps some, but invariably I'm leaving what I guess to be a lot of the glue from the old coat behind.

Second, there are some places where the coating has gotten down into the grain of the wood (which is I bet due to a bad sanding job before covering it in the first place!). Suggestions for getting that out?

I can send some pics if needed.

Thanks all!
KW
Old 04-04-2004, 09:12 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best practices for stripping old coating?

You're not getting a lot of responses because there's not much we can tell you. Using a heat gun to soften the underlying adhesive, and picking away at it while cussing is about the best advice I can give. [:@]

You'll eventually want to sand the balsa to remove some more of that colored adhesive, but you can hit the worst of it with Acetone first. Just don't get the acetone into glue joints because it could soften them.

Good Luck,
Dennis-
Old 04-05-2004, 10:22 AM
kullenwulf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best practices for stripping old coating?

Thanks for the confirmation...I was hoping there was a miracle solvent or something, but guess not

I have removed about 99% of the old stuff now, just some down in the cracks. Sandpaper is next.

KW