Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

arerobird trimming

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

arerobird trimming

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 05:33 AM
david roberts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arerobird trimming

When I'm flying my aerobird, when I apply full throttle it climbs, which is what I'd expect it to do, if I ease it down to half throttle I can use the trims on the transmitter to achieve level flight, 'hands off' I think the term is. When I want more speed and apply full throttle it noses up and climbs, how are you supposed to control the pitch on full throttle? with the stick? like I do now or is there a way of keeping it level with the trims? I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong! I read all these threads ' I tossed her into the air trimmed her up and was flying hands off' thats what I want to do! the way it is now I'm restricted to flying at half throttle unless Im on the down elevator all the time. Can anybody put me right on this.

Cheers.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Montague

Default RE: arerobird trimming

Raise the TE (trailing edge) of the wing a little. That will help reduce the elevator trim required when you increase power.

However, you can always expect that plane to climb when you increase power unless you put in some down elevator.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:57 PM
david roberts

Thanks for the advice, already have a wing shim from a firebird xl, I'll try it out, when this wind drops around here.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2004, 04:57 PM
RC Sumo

Keep basic Aerodynamics in mind: as you increase airspeed, in this case increasing throttle, you will increase the amount of air passing over your wing. The increased air causes an increase in lift. This is the natural tendency of a basic wing. This is especially true of the Aerobird's undercambered wing. This wing is incredibily efficient @ it's job...that's a good thing! It seems to me you have the plane trimmed out fine. Half throttle is what this lil bird likes to cruise at; that's why there is a little notch when you reach half throttle. I push it past half throttle when I want to climb or make a nice flat turn. I have stayed up over 15 minutes by just cruising around @ half throttle or less. This is what makes this plane so fun. You can cruise @ half throttle or less...takin 'er relatively slow.....but also push it up with some increased throttle. But I do take great joy in putting the bird into a dive and leveling out above the field watching and HEARING this lil plane fly by. I can get some great speed nosing over @ about 150 or so and keeping the nose down to about 50' or less leveling out about 15'. This thing rips across the field!

So just keep that basic principle in mind when thinking about how the plane reacts to airspeed.
Faster=more air flow=more lift under the wing.

Remember.....it's a good thing your plane doesn't require full throttle to fly level all the time.

Good luck! Keep it up and have FUN!!!!!

Shane
now where did I put that epoxy.....?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:35 PM
david roberts

Thanks for the advice I think your probably right..there's not a lot wrong with the way the bird's flying now, just wanted some opinions see if mine was set up right.....seems to be.

Cheers