Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Do-it-yourself fuel?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Do-it-yourself fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:43 PM
kukarzev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do-it-yourself fuel?

What is the right fuel for the Thunder Tiger .46? I am planning to put it on BUHOR, which is going to be my very first plane. What I gathered from the other topics on the subject, it should be about 15% nitro, 20% oil, right?

Also, can one mix the fuel by himself?
Old 04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Do-it-yourself fuel?

i use 10% on my TT pro.46 never had a problem.. still running strong.. just make sure you have atleast 18% oil
Old 04-05-2004, 06:21 PM
phread59

10% nitro and 20% oil, some of it castor and you will be fine. I like Byron's sport fuel.

Yes mixing your own can be done. But it usually ends up costing almost as much as buying it. And to save money you really need to mix up a lot ( nearly 55 gallons). Also you will not get the added anti-corrosive and anti foaming agents purchased fuel has. For now I would suggest buying fuel untill you have some time under your belt. After some experience I cannot see why you can't brew your own. It also helps to have several fliers go in and mix up a batch for themselves. If you decide to brew your own keep all your old jugs to put and store the fuel in. Good luck with the hobby.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-05-2004, 06:24 PM
FHHuber
Banned

You can mix your own fuel. The problem is locating the ingredients.

Methanol isn't too hard to get.

Medical grade castor oil works... (but is expensive)

Nitromethane is a bit harder to get.

If there is a drag strip around you can get ALL of the components where the drag racers buy thier fuel. They will have both castor and synthetic oils. (usually a few grades of synthetic oil will be available)

128 oz (volume) in a gallon... that means 10% nitro fuel would have 12.8 oz nitro. Then you want 18% oil... thats right at 24 oz. the rest is methanol.

10% nitro is plenty unless you are racing or the engine instructions say you NEED more. (some 4-strokes specify 20%...) There is not enough benefit for sport flying to justify the cost of more nitro.