Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New plane question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New plane question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:49 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New plane question

I think i have a chance to buy another plane,supposed to be put together,all i need to do is put the servo's in,the plane is a scorpion trainer i think,cant remember the real name and has a 6 channel tx (futama?)and the reciever is only 3 channel,i don't know what kind of engine except it is gas,not electric,he wants $175.00 for it,the wing span is 46-48" ,is this a good price or ?.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 03:58 PM
taurus02914

Default RE: New plane question

Can you offer any pics
Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 PM
5_spot

I found about it this morning at work,he lives about 50-60 miles away,havn't seen it but the story is another guy owed him some money so he got the plane and wants to sell it,he doesn't know anything about flying or model airplanes,or so he says.
He also says the guy told him he paid $175.00 for the tx alone.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Crashem

5_spot ,

Be careful it's easy to get taken if you don't know the "street value" of this stuff. If the deal sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Get the seller to provide you with the model number and brand of the radio.
and the make of engine. If the seller is unable I would suggest that you find some with some experience to "appriase" the items before you buy it. all to often I see people paying closer to retail for USED items these items have no warranty and if in need of any repairs/parts may cost you more then the item can be purchased new
Old 04-06-2004, 05:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

get model numbers, exactly whats included, and pictures so we can give you good info. Doesn't sound that great from the little you have said so far though. You can always offer less. I have made rediculous offers at swap meets and it is amazing how many say yes.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:16 PM
jettstarblue

6 channel Tx and a 3 channel Rx? Sounds like a problem waiting to happen with the mixed equipment, better to stay away from that one, and spend the money on something a little more sure.....
You'll more than likely be giving the guy 175 bucks to help him get rid of an albatros.
Jetts
Old 04-07-2004, 05:24 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If it is only a 3 channel receiver, you are only going to fly rudder to control turns. I would pass on it.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:25 PM
5_spot

Update,The plane is a Seniorita cadet Spelling ?,the tx is a T6YL FM sky port 6,it also has the matching reciever 6 channel but the plane only uses 3 servos and they need to be mounted,but could use another servo for folding landing gear or whatever, that's all that needs to be done,the wing is already together,63" ,RC60 and the engine will probably be a .60,everything is new
.Any more info will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Sig Kadet Senorita is a good flying plane. You definitely will NOT want to put a .60 on it! A .46 will be more than enough. The six channel radio will be useful in other planes once you learn to fly on the Senorita. It might be worth his asking price if an engine is included.

You seem to indicate that only the wing is built. If you need to build the fuselage and tail feathers and cover it then I would pass on it. The fuselage is stick built and if you haven't got any experience as a builder can be tricky getting all sides to line up.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:05 PM
5_spot

The plane is completely built,everything is covered even the wing,everything is supposed to be done except putting the servos in.He also says there are some extra parts and tools,including fuel pump glow lighter ect,ect,even has a lot of different props that will come with it,maybe somebody just tired and giving it up.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:17 PM
5_spot

I just called him again and told him the price is way too much,he said he wasn't going to give it away,it should be worth a lot and hinted it's worth more than a hundred but i told him it's worth somewhere more than a $100.00 but not near $175.00,he asked about all the accessories with the electric starter and props and TX,RX.Can somebody give me a ball park figure.
I might go look at it friday morning if it's not raining,i might be flying instead.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:34 PM
phread59

The parts and pieces seem decent enough. I don't know about the motor though. Sounds like a Chineese el cheapo. it's way to big for the plane. A Seniorita ia really a 25 size plane. A very good plane as well. A real good 32 will fly it with authority. It is a 3 channel plane! It uses rudder, elevator and engine only. So 3 servo's are all it needs. It will be a real floater. good slow trainer. If you can score the whole deal for 150$ or less. Then I say go for it. You can always sell any excess goodies. good luck with your scavenger hunt.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-07-2004, 11:04 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you're hot on buying this, but be careful!

The transmitter is not a computer radio, so you'll be looking to replace it (or buy another one) before long. (Might not be worth more than $50 or $60 today no matter what he bought it for when it was new.)

The Seniorita IS a good flying plane, but as has been mentioned, it's 3 channels, no ailerons, so it's flight capabilities are somewhat limited. (Less than most trainers.)

We don't know anything about the engine, or if the guy who owned it knew what he was doing. If it has been run, it could have been ruined by running lean. Check the compression, feel and listen closely for anything unusual. Does it feel like it has a rough spot when you slowly turn it over? Do you hear a soft clicking noise? Could have bad bearings.

Take the time to look the plane over REALLY well. Stand behind it and look down the fuse to make sure the vertical stab/elevator is in line, look at it from down low too and make sure the horizontal stab is level with the wing. Check out every glue joint that you can see. You should be able to tell if it was built well by the way the joints look, and by how much glue was plastered all over them.

PULL ON THE CONTROL SURFACES, to make sure the hinges were installed properly. Make sure there aren't 1/4 inch gaps. Make sure the control surfaces move freely, no binding. Is the covering fairly tight and wrinkle free? Can you feel any movement of the wood under the covering? Could be cracked or broken wood hidden under there. Is the wood a nice light beige color like new balsa? If it's a grey brown it could have been water damaged, and the glue joints could fail on the first flight.

That will give you a place to start, and maybe give you an idea of why some of us aren't thrilled by it. [&o]
Dennis-
Old 04-08-2004, 05:51 AM
5_spot

Well,after all this rukis i have decided NOT to go look at it,from what i read on there website it's not as good as it seems,a stick plane made of balsa wood so when you crash it's a total rebuild,not something i'm looking to do.Another reason was the tx,rx,i thought it was a good one but probably not so.If he would take a $100.00 dollar bill for it i might take it but now i'm not that sure,sometimes a lot of thinking changes the picture a lot.Thanks for all your information.

*i'll go back and sit in my corner
Old 04-08-2004, 08:07 AM
jettstarblue

Guys,
The Kadet seniorita is a good flying plane, 15-25 engine. Yes it's stick built, but your not supposed to crash, and believe me, it's not too hard to fix a plane like that when you do. (I have built/flown/fixed 2 Kadet seniors, and am building a third right now).
The Skysport radio, is a fairly current Futaba FM and should be good for years of service. (come on, a six channel fer cryin' out loud, I have never even owned a six channel!) Can't comment on the engine, other than to say I doubt it's a .60-don't think it would bolt up even! Still a Chinese made .60 in the box with the plane is worth 50 bucks alone.
I'd say go back, look at the plane, and if it's all new equipment, buy it! It's easily worth 150.00. , and finish the plane, all the hard stuff is done. Fly it, use it up, and move the equipment to another plane later.
Go for it.

Jett
Old 04-08-2004, 08:57 AM
bhole74

Senitoritas are excellent trainers and perform basic aerobatics as well. About the only thing I have found it can't do compared to many other trainers is an aileron roll, simply because it has none. It does great stall turns, will fly inverted, loops are nice as you want them and it will float better than the typical trainer. I have built several of them for myself and others, learned to fly with one and have taught others to fly with one as well. Average cost ready to fly with basic comp radio and 25fx is $285. If the plane is in question is well built and in excellent condition, it is well worth the $175 asking price.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:13 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5_Spot,
I did not intend to keep you from going to look at the plane, it could very well be a decent enough buy. I simply wanted you to have some guidelines when you look at it.

When I first started out, I bought a couple of dogs simply because I din't know what to look for.

If the plane is in reasonably good shape as far as the build goes (straight, no control surface gaps, etc.), if the radio doesn't have broken switches or looks like it was thrown around, and the engine is new or feels okay, then it is most likely worth at least $150. (Which I'm betting he will take if you offer cash.)

You can often find good deals this way, you just need to Think when you look at it, rather than React to the thought of a new plane.

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 04-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Aarial

Here are the specs for the Kadet Seniorita:

$59.99 New
The Sig Kadet Seniorita!

Wingspan: 63 in.
Wing Area: 746 sq. in.
Wing Loading: 12 oz. / sq. ft.
Weight: 62 oz.
Engine: .15 - .25 cu. in. 2-Stroke
Engine: .21 - .35 cu. in. 4-Stroke

Does not include servos/receiver/engine/transmitter/battery.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

5_spot,

Where are you in Texas? IF, after you think about it, you decide not to take it, let me know. If your close to Houston I wouldn't mind talking to the guy about just the Seniorita if you decide to pass. I have been eyeing a Seniorita kit at the LHS, but with the summer here, sitting looking at a pile of sticks is just not where I want to be. Maybe he'll be willing to deal a little for just the plane.

Duke
Old 04-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Crashem

Aarial,

Thats the price of the kit alone to finish the kit without servos/receiver/engine/transmitter/battery.

You need to add 50-80 dollars to the price of course this doen't include labor just materials.

One of the reasons ARF are so popular is because if you add up all the items need to finish a kit the cost approachs that of the ARF version
Old 04-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Aarial

Actuall Sig Kadet Seniorita .15-.25,63" 44.99 at http://www.discounthobbywarehouse.co.../listkits.html

I'd consider the engine cost probably around $60-$70.
Transmitter/receiver/battery/4 servos $149.00 for the least expensive Futaba at Tower Hobbies.

So there's about $250.00 in parts. If this aircraft is in good shape, $150 is not a bad price. I'm sure you can find cheaper prices and there is the "used" factor. Good Luck.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:50 PM
5_spot

ORIGINAL: Dukester

5_spot,

Where are you in Texas?
Duke
I live east of Dallas about 40 mi,he lives near a place called Terrel Tx.
Interested ?.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

5_spot, sent you a PM.

Duke