Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

PAID FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

PAID FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 08:07 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PAID FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS?

What are your views on paying for flight instruction for a new guy that shows up at the field with his gear?
Old 04-06-2004, 09:04 PM
aimmaintenance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PAID FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS?

99% of the people will help you for free.

I'm gonna sideshift the question of what I feel about it, by sayin....

Keep lookin!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:10 PM
jettstarblue

I instruct free.....with the exception being when I have to use my equipment, then the first session is free.
I think this is the way it should be. Some folks are glad to pay, and use my stuff, it seems they learn a lot faster when they aren't worried about the equipment end. I do steer them toward their own equipment if they are going to stick with it.
I usually make more being commisioned to build for the people I teach to fly, so it pays all the way around.

Jetts
Old 04-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

I ALWAYS teach for free- kind of taints the flying experience IMHO*

Maybe it is because I love to do it! The more folks and planes the better!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:58 PM
tazc3

myself and the other club instructors teach for free. We really enjoy seeing new people comming into this hobby we love and we try and get them started out on the right foot so they will want to stick with it.I look at it as giving back what was given to me when a greatgroup of guys took the time to help me years ago for free. keep them flying and have fun.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:07 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At my club, people "pay" for lessons by paying for AMA and club memberships. And then helping out the club with mowing, projects, shows, etc. I would feel really crappy if I charged somebody for lessons and then something went wrong and their plane ended up destroyed. That's why I don't charge. But I have been known to accept a soft drink, or a small tip.[sm=wink.gif][sm=wink.gif]

Maybe, if it was my own equipment, but probably not. I enjoy flying and helping people. That's my payment.[8D]
Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 AM
nicadflyer

I paid for my training. I used all his equipment and his field. It was much better then waiting in line for hours for the 'instructor' and then waiting for a flight station at the club field.
I felt that I learned more and at a faster pace.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:42 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: nicadflyer

I paid for my training. I used all his equipment and his field. It was much better then waiting in line for hours for the 'instructor' and then waiting for a flight station at the club field.
I felt that I learned more and at a faster pace.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:12 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I teach for free. More than happy to do it. Flying with people is always more fun than flying alone.

There are people and places that charge. If your willing to pay, go for it. Nothing wrong with it. Larger cities where finding a good instructor get to be a pain. Some cases like that it may be better to pay. As long as you are getting what you pay for, what the heck.

There are pleanty of guys that will do it simply because they enjoy it though. That works too.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Crashem

PLANE JIM,

If the instuctor is good and provides a good service I say go for it.

BTW I did a poll on this very subject months ago it generated a lot of response if you are interested do a search I was very surprised at how many people were opposed to this idea
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

At our club, we provide new students with the plane, radio and training. They join our club, the AMA and buy a gallon of fuel. We had about 20 new students last year.

If you want great training for pay, contact Dave Scott at 1st US Flight School. He's a great instructor. He provides the plane, the field and a great week of training. It's worth every penny.

Rich
Old 04-07-2004, 12:10 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

i am not in a club, but i have 4 students at the moment. i dont charge dime. It all comes around in the end. One guy bought me a new 46FX when i blew a bearing keeper and destroyed the sleeve and piston in my old one, another student owns a vehicle repair shop and gave me a free car battery when mine ***** the bed. He is going to let me use his shop to put a new water pump in my truck soon. I break a prop, one of them has one for me. I blow a plug, one of them will have one for me, i do the same. If you are an instructor and you charge a student to fly, then AMA insurance will not cover you if the plane crashes into a building or person. AMA is for non profit purposes, so your wallet is the insurance. I find it rewarding enough to share the hobby. Besides like i said, it all comes around in the end

sean
Old 04-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Crashem

If you are an instructor and you charge a student to fly, then AMA insurance will not cover you if the plane crashes into a building or person. AMA is for non profit purposes, so your wallet is the insurance. I find it rewarding enough to share the hobby. Besides like i said, it all comes around in the end
If it hasn't already it is about to change. I seem to recall reading in the AMA forum that the rules regarding Paid instruction wer/are under review, anybody no anything else???
Old 04-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Montague

I teach for free, am now registered as an Intro Pilot with the AMA, and have my own trainer to take people up with. I do it because it's fun, and I enjoy teaching.

Though, if you want to actually learn to fly for any length of time, I expect the student to obtain their own equipment.

However, I see the advntages to going to a paid instructor. If you get the instructor's complete attention, and you don't have to wait for a frequency or flight station, etc, you can learn faster that way.

There are 41 "students" in my club at the moment, believe it or not. Most of them aren't activly taking lessons though (and several are learning from friends rather than the pool of "instructors", but last year, it wasn't uncommon to have 6-8 students at the field at a time). With several instructors, we try to get everyone enough flight time, but frankly, I know we fall short at times. The guys who learn the fastest get out to the field at least twice a week, and make sure they get their turns in line and are ready to roll when their turn comes up. (On the flip side, I've had training nights where only 1 or 2 students show up, and they get a LOT of time in when that happens).

I'm not sure, but I think my club doesn't allow the field to be used for paid stuff, and I know the members wouldn't allow anyone to have a reserved flight stand or channel for paid instruction.

Anyway, if you are getting the time and attention for your money, it could be worth it. If you pay for a couple of lessons and don't feel like you're getting you money's worth, look around for free instruction.

Fwiw, I do hope the AMA changes the paid instructor rule. I won't "go pro" myself, but I wouldn't mind it if there were more paid "flight schools" around.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:59 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Why charge a student? When I instruct, I always do it for free, even if the student needs to use my equipment (starter, glow starter, fuel pump, charger, etc..). This can be an expensive hobby to get into and if I can help save a few buck here and there in the beginning by using my stuff then that is OK, but if they start to depend solely on me for my field equipment, then there is a problem. The student does eventually need to get his own items. Field equipment is mainly just the use of your battery to operate the items (chargers, starter). I enjoy teaching others, plus I feel I get the best deal out of it anyway. I get to fly for free. While teaching, I have learned students get a kick out of watching their trainer plane do knife edges, lowered inverted fly bys and other simple tricks (nothing that would harm the plane) especially if it is a sport trainer. This really modivates the student to want to learn and it shows the student what they will be able to do with practice, but I definately don't push the issue of them trying to do it too quickly. I make sure that the student is completely ready before unpluging the buddy box for good. I get a kick out of watching the student learn more each time the plane goes up. This should be a rewarding hobby to both the student and the instructor. It is a rewarding gift to give a new pilot his or her solo wings. To see the smile and watch the sense of accomplishment is second to none.

Those that charge have their reasons and they may be just, but I do it for free because I enjoy sharing the hobby with others. I am one the official trainers at my field, but as previously stated those that practice more will solo quicker usually.

Derrick (DTB)
Old 04-07-2004, 01:27 PM
taurus02914

I have trained countless #'s of people and never taken a dime from any of them, I do see other club members accepting money and gifts of appreciation I kinda frown on that one.
Promote the sport / hobby
Old 04-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Crashem

I have trained countless #'s of people and never taken a dime from any of them, I do see other club members accepting money and gifts of appreciation I kinda frown on that one.
Promote the sport / hobby
Almost all sport/hobbies have "paid" instruction I simply can't see how when this topic comes up in regards to R/C people frown on it.

You want to promote the hobby join the AMA Somebody wants to charge for teaching others a skill they have aquired. Tell me who has the right to "judge" them.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

I do not see a problem with accepting money for teaching.I never have.I was thinking about teaching buddybox with the bigger 33% & 40%.I soon as I get better.I would charge for that.

ScottC
Old 04-07-2004, 02:30 PM
MikeMc

I'd pay them to leave me alone. Come on peeps. I kid, I kid.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:42 PM
jettstarblue

O.K., there's some food for thought here, but first, let me say, this is my opinion, and so let me put up the fire proof shield..........................

Intro flights are always free, and do more to promote the hobby/sport than anything else I've found.[/b]

I get paid by some people, it's a real world out there, not a utopia, so if your just jealous......

When I do, they get undivided attention, at a private field, and learn to fly very quickly, without the risk of spending anything on a plane/equipment, waiting endlessly for an "opening", don't have to pay to join a club/AMA/ect. And they are the only focus of attention, not "you better be my boy, or you ain't gonna learn anything here" attitude. Try to get that for free at your local friendly AMA field.

I take the risk of getting a plane bashed, and it's know in the business world as "overhead". I'm not stupid, or blind to risks.

If someone decides they don't like it, (only one has so far) I give them a refund, period. BTW I've never given a refund, the guy who didn't like it was happy to have paid the pitance I charge, and thanked me for opening his eyes to "the world of aviation". He later went on to become a BFI for ultralights.....
I have had only two people who couldn't be taught, in short order, one was heavily medicated, and shouldn't be flying anyhow, the other was a major control freak, and insisted he knew more than anybody, including me. (he always said "well, I need a P-51 witha huge engine on it, that way if I get into trouble, I'll just pull straight up.") I sent him home, and he blamed everyone/thing but himself.......tough sh** buddy.

I'd bet a lot of the people who seem to be against "training for pay" are the same people who say "don't teach yourself". Control issues?
Finally, I'd like to add, no one who I've ever gotten paid by, thought they got a bad deal, or was unhappy that they paid. In fact, I have gotten many "gifts" such as "ifixairplanes" claims are his gifts of gratitude.
I think it was I who put forth the offer to anyone within driving distance for free training last year. Guess what, I didn't get one person to take me up on it.
Maybe folks just believe "you get what you pay for".

Jetts
Old 04-07-2004, 03:21 PM
JimTrainor

Sounds like a good deal to me.
If this were more common, I think there would be more people out flying model airplanes.
For anyone with time constraints it is going to be a heck of lot better than showing up at a field and hoping for the best.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:38 PM
nascarjoe

ORIGINAL: Montague

Fwiw, I do hope the AMA changes the paid instructor rule. I won't "go pro" myself, but I wouldn't mind it if there were more paid "flight schools" around.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/indi...1309430/tm.htm
Old 04-07-2004, 11:18 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

And they are the only focus of attention, not "you better be my boy, or you ain't gonna learn anything here" attitude. Try to get that for free at your local friendly AMA field.
They get "that" for free at our field all the time.

I'm not jealous of anyone getting paid for training RC flight, I just don't think it's in "keeping with the spirit" of this hobby. I don't charge for all the time I spend giving advice, or trimming out someone's airplane, or test flying a new one, or tuning a engine. I also don't/won't charge to instruct.

The way our instructor program is set up? The student has a list of club instructors and calls one. They arrange the best/most convenient time for both parties, and get undivided attention during their lessons. Sure, when things are hectic I might have to set up two students for the same evening, but they have to re-fuel and shake off the knocking knees between flights anyway, so they aren't lacking in flight time.

May be different at some fields, but....
Dennis-
Old 04-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Parrotman

The guys at our club that teach all do it for free, as far as I know. Having been a recent student, though, I can`t see not doing SOMETHING for your instructor to show your appreciation for his time and, in my particular case, his seemingly endless supply of patience and encouragement. In my case, I bought him a kit that he`d been wanting for a while.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:25 AM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know of anyone who charges at my club. A lot of the time people just show up and someone will help them. Many times the instructor is someone who loaded their trailer up with a big gasser for a day of flying with no intent of instructing. Paid instructors wouldn't be very happy at my club at all. They would starve if that was their primary means of earning a living. I think a lot of people are a little put off by the cost of everything it takes to get going in this hobby anyway. I think charging students doesn't help promote the hobby at all. I don't know why anyone would want to charge. It's a hell of a lot more responsibility. If I pay for instruction and my plane crashes, a "sorry bout that" just won't cut it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.