Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank Mounting

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel Tank Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Griffin_NC
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Mounting

I'm in the process of completing my trainer. It's a Sig Kadet MKII, and there is really a large amount of space in the front around the tank. I currently have it resting on some scrap 1/4" with 1/2" foam in the sides to absorb some of the vibration. I thinking about gluing the tank down to the two cross braces I installed to support it. Is it really that bad of a idea to glue the tank down. My only other option which was to fill up the front of the plane with 1 1/2" of foam which I thought would probably add more weight then the two small pieces balsa. I'm also leaning a bit towards increasing the tank size to 10oz-12 oz to fill up some of the space instead. Any thoughts??
Old 04-07-2004, 08:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Tank Mounting

I would go with the foam. You don't need to "FILL" the area, just put a chunk on each side to keep it from moving.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Kaos Rulz

Griffin_NC

Welcome to RCU!

I'd go for the 12 oz tank and place foam around any sides that come in contact with the airframe. As Minn stated, ya don't need to fill up the whole area. Just prevent the tank from possible vibrations being introduced through the top/bottom/sides of the tank compartment.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:07 AM
wrongwaywayne

Have you balanced the model yet? You may have to put the battery up front under the tank, and still end up having to add weight as well. That would use up a bunch of space. These planes are usually tail heavy.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Griffin_NC

No I haven't balanced the plane yet. I've thought about the battery going up there, but once the front of the plane is sheeted and monokoted I'm not to sure even how I would get the battery in there. There isn't enough space to slide the battery under the fuel tank once it's mounted in the cavity and get it secured.

PS: What are you guys using to secure the battery in place. I was thinking about some velcro for.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Velcro is what I usually use.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:09 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just one comment. I have yet to have a plane where I didn't have to go back later and remove the tank for something or another. I would do what has been suggested and use the foam to hold it in place. Murphy's law will dictate removing the tank as soon as you glue it in.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Griffin_NC

That's what I'm thinking. I'm probably going to remove some bottom sheeting and pull the old tank out since I haven't monokoted the bottom yet. I'll use this 8oz to run break in on the engine and get 10 or 12 oz to put in it's place. I just haven't figured out how big I can cram in there yet.