Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question on Confidence.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question on Confidence.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:08 PM
buenger_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Confidence.

I have 4 airplanes. A superstar 40 GWS A-10 warthog/ A sukkoi Profile 40 size and a recently finished Funtana 40s 3d. I have been flying for 3 years. AMA #806883
Can take off and fly all of my airplanes except the Funtana. I have flown the lowing sukkoi many many times without a single crash and love the plane. My question is...I have a brand new Funtana....(I use the futaba 7cap) balanced and ready to go....I don't seem to have the confidence to fly it...I've taxied it and everything...had the wheels 6 inches off the ground but am afraid of crashing...Any advice on how the funtana flies??? or what I should watch out for when I fly it...thanks
Old 04-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Montague

Default RE: Question on Confidence.

I've never flown one, but one of my ex-students now has one, and he hasn't destroyed it yet .

To get some confidence, find a more experienced pilot and get him to take it up high and hand it over to you. You can even use a buddy box for the first flight just in case. But usually, just having him there to talk you though things and get you away from the ground that first time should be enough.

(There are lots and lots of guys in my club who won't maiden their own planes, they seek out other guys to take it up and hand it over. A large part of that is just nerves)
Old 04-08-2004, 03:28 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

We have a fellow in our club with a Funtana, it doesn't seem to have any bad habits.

I agree with Montague, find an old timer (like me) to give it a check fly for you. He can trim it out and hand it over to you. Then if you are still nervous, he can land it for you. There are a couple of us in our club that seem to check fly each new plane that shows up at the field.

Good luck with the Funtana.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:43 PM
buenger_2000

You Guys Rock!!! Thanks for the advice. I think I worry too much. There is no doubt in myh head that I can take it off and land it...I have so much time into this thing....and (money) Its a beautiful pplane...Just would hate to destroy it. One of the(old timers) in my club has one..Maybe I'll wait and see his fly.
Thanks again
Old 04-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Montague

Hey, if the guy has one, then he's a perfect guy to get to test yours and ask for help. (unless you think he's nutty or whatever). It makes sense to get someone who has time in that type or something close to test fly it as opposed to someone who might be a good pilot, but has all their time in other type of models.

It's semi-obvious, but a guy who spends all his time flying giant scale warbirds isn't necessarily the guy to test your 3D ship, and I wouldn't get a 3D guy to fly a new 30lb P-38 either.

We don't do "type ratings" in models, but when it's your pride and joy, it makes sense to look at it that way a bit.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:40 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like stated, if you are not ready mentally, have someone take it off. From the sounds of it, you are ready to fly it, but if you are not comfortable, stuff can happen fast. Get some help, get it up and you will be on it very fast. You will like it.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:11 AM
bhole74

After my beautiful and EXPENSIVE P-51 tip stalled and went through an oak tree, my confidence was shattered. I immediately built a Hog Bipe but was very nervous just as you are. My first flights were very uneventful and it handled like a trainer, but I was still nervous. I finally took it up about 100 ft. and just put the screws to it to see what she would do. I am now much more confident with it because I know it will handle anything I can ask it to do. Sometimes you just have to "GO FOR IT". Good luck with you're Funtana, I'm sure you will like it.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:05 PM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

My Funtana was a Christmas present from my wife and son so I know what you mean about not wanting to crash it but after initial flight I love the plane and it flys and lands great. Just be sure and keep the throws low at first as it is very fast reacting if the throws are much more than factory suggestion. Good Luck!
Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 PM
buenger_2000

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the input. Finally got my cable internet back. So, I can let everyone know how my funtana went. IT FLIES INCREDIBLE. Even with the 46AX I have near unlimited verticle. Plenty of power to hover. I fly it 2 or 3 times then take it in for an hour while I fly my trainer...then when I don't feel cocky I'll take it up again. It flies great
Old 04-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Sounds great! Glad all worked out well. It sounds like you have good judgment, which is something I look for and try to instill in all my students.

Jeff