Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Could I Use a Hanger 9 Funtana as A second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Could I Use a Hanger 9 Funtana as A second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 11:21 AM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could I Use a Hanger 9 Funtana as A second plane?

I was thinking of buying a hanger 9 funtana as my seond plane here in a couple months, Could I use it as my second plane if I kept it on low rates?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Could I Use a Hanger 9 Funtana as A second plane?

I'd make that the third plane

Try the Sig FourStar 40-60 first (second)
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot depends on your instructor(s)....yeah, I'd save it for the third plane, not the second. You have to learn throttle management if you are going to be flying one!

Jerry
Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the others. The funtana was my third behind my, Avistar Trainer, 4*60, then an Ultra Stick 60, then the funtana. Mine lasted 7 flights, my fault for trying high rates. You can set it to low rates to fly easier, but there are other planes that fit your needs better.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:31 PM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

The Funtana was my second plane, but I learned to fly helicopters before anything else. You could probably handle it and be O.K. with it, but it does have huge control surfaces and very little movement on the sticks can equal alot on that plane.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:30 PM
CougarRules

I havent flown or seen a funtana but if it is anything like the cougar which is a great fun-fly type of aircraft i personally think it would make a great second airplane with plenty of expo and tamed down rates because they are so light you can fly them really slow withut fear of stalling and as you progress you can liven the plane up a bit. I dont want to disagree with the other guys but that is just my opinion. Also it depends what you want to do if you fancy progressing into the 3D stuff then go get it if you just want to do normal aerobatics then like hookedonrc said there may be other planes that suit your needs better.

Lee.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:52 PM
mancha

Good decision tailskid, the funtana as a second plane will slow your learning process, try a mid wing type of plane first.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:42 PM
ICE_MAN

What about a pheonix models Funstar3D?
Old 02-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Downtrodden

Take a look at Hanger 9's....Twist! You'll love it! This plane flies where you point it and it slows down to a crawl. Rolls are fast and furious and it can loop in a distance equal to twice it's length! Power it with a Super Tigre .51 and you'll have an inexpensive performer, but if it's your second plane.......keep it three mistakes high! Good luck!
Old 02-13-2005, 10:04 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, there is NO reason why the Funtana cannot be a second plane. If you can land your trainer with ease, meaning no Bunny Hops ... and you can fly precisely with little worry then YES you can fly the Funtana as a second plane. One of my friend's got the WM Super Sport as a second plane. The F40 is easier than the SS. Please use LOW rates, I tried rolls on the plane with slightly high rates and instead of one roll I did one and half!!! She is very easy to fly and land. However, a word of caution on landing, the UC will rip off if you bring her in hard. So the question is ... Are you ready?

As for power ... she flies nice on something like a TT46, that will give you sportman and intermediate performance and not 3D. Get the Saito 82 if you wanna go 3D.

The Phoenix Funstar is so so ... I say go for the new TT Spirit 3D. The TT Spirit is amazing for 3D. Have a look at it. Here is a pic of mine. Another plane for you if you wanna try 3D is the WM Super Stunt. She can fly like a trainer or do 3D. Lovely plane that can take a slight beating. I would say go for the Super Stunt so that you do not waste the Funtana.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56754.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	229060  
Old 02-14-2005, 09:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to go from a Trainer straight to 3-D flying, I think your best bet would be something you can bash around a bit. Like a Spad.

After you've had a few accidents under your belt (So you know thw pitfalls) THEN you could get a nice 3-D plane.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:11 PM
britbrat

The Funtana flies reasonably easily, but it is fragile, & a relatively inexperienced pilot will probably knock it around a bit -- it won't take much in the way of rough handling. Additionally, it cannot fly quickly & survive -- it is a 3D plane & it will flutter itself to pieces at high speeds, so if you put a TT .46 Pro on it, be sure to prop it correctly (12-4 or 12.25-3.75) & learn throttle management.

I suspect that you might really be better off with a good low-wing sport flier. There are lots of other planes out there that are agile & fun as sport fliers -- they will prepare you for a Funtana as a 3rd plane.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Well, nobody has mentioned a Tuff Flight 4D for learning 3D.
Joe
Old 02-14-2005, 06:09 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

You can use the funtana as a second plane. It flies beautifally, slows down really nice on landings and is a gentle plane when you treat it gently. However, you cross its bad side, your gonna get into trouble. I had this plane for a while and its one of my favorites, but watch out for that snap stall it has. You get her too slow and she'll drop a wing and be in the dirt before you can blink. Not to mention the high speed snap when excessive elevator is used while looping and such. Oh and, there is nothing to the airframe. Its all sticks and holes. You crash, you're going to have alotta peices to glue back together. I would recommend:
1. super sportster 40 from great planes
2. 4*40 or 60 from sig
3. Ultra stick, anysize, from hangar 9

All those planes WILL be more durable than a funtana and I guarantee you will have just as much fun.

Sean
Old 02-14-2005, 08:42 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one plane that I have not seen recommended and was a great second plane for me was the Hangar 9 Twist. Nice 3D machine and could land slower than most trainers when on low rates.

I had mine setup like this

OS46AX
APC 12.25X3.75
Standard JR 537 servos all around

It would hover at a little over half throttle, power out of the hover well, do nice flat spins both inverted and upright, harrier around and a few other things. If I firewalled the throttle on takeoff I could literally pull it into the air in about 5 feet abd literally land it right at my feet.

I beat the living heck out of mine and it took it well. The only thing I ever did was rip the gear out of it on a really bouncy landing but it was fun to watch it bounce around. I finally sold it well after 150 flights to a student for his second plane which he still flies to this day and then moved up to the Funtana 90.

EDIT for really bad spelling [:'(]
Old 02-14-2005, 09:47 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I have to agree with the recommendations for the Twist. This plane has one of the widest flight envelopes of any plane I have ever seen. On low rates it can be down right boring (read that as forgiving and easy to fly) but then turn it up to high rates and hold on for a wild ride. The neat thing about this plane in my opinion is your skills will grow with the plane. Start off on low rates. As you feel you are really comfortable, bump the rates up a bit and the plane will gradually become more responsive. I fly mine with the throws maxed out and it is always a blast to fly. This is what you have to look forward to while your skills progress. The price is pretty darn good too!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:53 AM
RVator

Remember ICEMAN is flying a US Lite now. Thats a lot more performace than a 4-star. I have flown Suitcase's Twist a lot and it is a blast. The best part of the Twist is that you won't have much money in it and you can take a little more chances with it and open up your flight envelope. It flys great with a 46 two stroke and a standard flight pack plus an extra servo. Get one.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:31 PM
forestroke

I vote for something like a WM super sport. While it may not 3D it does do all the basic aerobatics and takes a beating. The problem with 3D planes aren't that they are difficult to fly (on low rates) but that they are less forgiving. These are the cons of going with something 3D

1. Built light - any minor crash will tear the plane apart. It will also be more difficult to repair
2. Little/no dihedral - will require you to fly her until she lands
3. Throttle management required - 3D planes slow down so easily that stalling on landing is dangerously easy. And can rip apart from flutter if you fly her too fast.

It's not a good second plane... look at tIANci's 3D Spirit... looks like if you sneeze, it will break. :-)
Old 02-16-2005, 11:55 PM
CrashBurn69

If you like 3d planes, then my vote would be for the GP UcanDo .46. Great plane, you can fly it just like when you are messing around with a simulator. It is more fragile than your trainer, so you will need to be decent at landings, and it does not like high speeds. Its cheap, easy to put together. The only big down side is that they are too easy to land, and it will ruin you when it comes to other planes. I will always have one in my hanger from now on.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:07 AM
Jarrah

Well I am an inexperienced pilot but i saw the FuntanaX 50 today in my LHS i just had to get one. They are an amazing looking plane and after talking to my instructor who was also at the shop he said that this plane would be fine for my second just keep it on low rates and watch for the snap. Plan to couple it with a Saito 82. I guess it just depends if you can afford to replace it with another plane if you crash it which i am prepared to do.