Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OS .40 engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OS .40 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 01:01 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .40 engine

this is my first glow plane , I'm experienced in flying but only electric. The problem is whether or not I can start this engine with a chicken stick or do I have to use a electric starter. i filled the tank half way and got the fuel through the carburetor adjustment up to where the fuel enters the carburetor but for some reason the fuel will not ignite. I think the glow plug is ok , I bought the engine used, it only has one flight on it. Am I missing anything ? Thanks in advance will answer all replies .
Old 04-11-2004, 01:24 PM
volkan

Default RE: OS .40 engine

well there could be many reason. the engine could be cold (it will take alot of flicks), you may not have primed sufficient enough, maybe the plug is not the right one, A3 is what you need (i think). and the starter will really speed things up alot! you really need a electric starter, especally if you live on a cold climate!
Old 04-11-2004, 01:50 PM
RC-Captain

thank you, the engine has the right plug because it was used before , the coldness may be the cause , is about 50 degrees right now , and what is alot of flicks 50 or so ?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:56 PM
volkan

50 C or farenhiet!
i london it was around 0C, and it took about five minutes with a electric starter, so maybe a million flicks!, just kidding, untill the engine starts. also, if you have a heat blanket, through that over the nose before going out, thats what i do!
Old 04-11-2004, 02:00 PM
vagent

I don't have an elec starter either -- suggesting for starting with chickenstick.

Glo starter off engine, throttle wide open, finger/thumb over carb, rotate prop 15-20 times with other hand (good to have glove on and hold onto prop as you rotate it, don't flip it), keep thumb/finger over carb, throttle to idle, throttle trim at starting point (about half trim), glo starter on engine, now remove finger/thumb from carb and use chicken stick to flip prop right away--key here is keeping finger/thumb over carb until you get glo starter on and ready to flip prop. Otherwise, the fuel will drain back out of the fuel line.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 PM
volkan

i think that 15-20 flicks is too much!
the other day i flooded my OS40 with just 5 flicks,
RC-FIEND if you have the LA, just look when the fuel get transfered from the valve to the carb
when it does flick once or twice more then its ok
Old 04-11-2004, 03:42 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it much easier to put a finger over the outlet on the muffler to prime the engine. It works just as well and you don't have you fingers so close to the prop. Finger over the muffler outlet also pressurizes the tank so the fuel is less likely to drain back out of the carb line, and you can see/hear when the fuel reaches the open carb.

The temperature is not an issue. It doesn't really affect these engines until it gets down to about 30 degrees (F), then you have to run them richer.

Try this; glow igniter off the engine, carb wide open, finger over the muffler outlet, turn the engine over (counter-clockwise while in front of the engine) until you see and/or hear fuel in the carb, turn it over two or three more times. Close the carb down to about 1/8 th throttle (with the trim lever on the Tx all the way up), put on the glow igniter and flip the prop briskly. Be careful! Because when (if) the engine starts, it will be spinning at about 3.500 rpm's.

It should at least "pop" within the first couple of "flips", but try it 5 or 6 times. If it doesn't start, remove the glow igniter and "prime it" again.

If it still doesn't start then there's a good chance the needle valve is set wrong, or the glow plug or glow igniter are bad.

You charged you glow igniter overnight right? Have you removed the glow plug and put it into the igniter to make sure both are good? Be careful when you put the plug back in; it's not too hard to cross thread it and ruin the threads, or overtighten and strip the head. Just snug it down with the 4 way glow plug wrench.

To reset the needle valve; carefully screw it all the way in (clockwise), but DO NOT tighten it! (You can screw up the tip.) Then turn it back out about 2 1/2 turns. This should be about the right setting to get a fairly rich run. Repeat the above.

If all of this fails, find someone local to help.

By the way, starting these engines is about a hundred times easier with a starter. At least until you know how, and have it tuned properly.
Dennis-
Old 04-11-2004, 05:05 PM
RC-Captain

thanks guys, very good tips , I tried the thumb over the muffler and soon began to see the fuel fill the carb. after that I cranked it a few times and got better results. but then the fuel ran back into the tank, so , Im going to remove the glow plug test it, seat it, prime it as mentioned above then if this doesnt work Ill just buy a new OS .40 to save time . thanks guys , I knew I could count on this site.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:38 PM
volkan

is it an OS 40 LA, FS or FX???
Old 04-11-2004, 05:41 PM
RC-Captain

it is a OS LA 40 .
Old 04-11-2004, 05:56 PM
im_a_rcav8r

If you are having problems with the fuel running back into the tank, try this. use a few extra inches of fuel tubing. Arrange the tubing so it comes through the firewall, up to the top of the cowling, then back down to the engine fuel intake. This will help stop the gravity feed of the fuel. Ultimately, if you are going to fly glow, you will want a starter sooner or later. your going to get sick of flipping your flipping prop. :-) You can get a small 12v battery from you hobby shop or home depot. (used for battery backup of home alarm systems) about a 7 amp one will do nicely. the starters are only about $20 or so.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:01 PM
RC-Captain

thanks, those 12 7amp hour batteries come a dime a dozen for me I service alarm systems but as far as the fuel tubbing its comming out of the fire wall up then back down into the intake valve then through the small hose feeding the carb . followed instructions to a tee .
Old 04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
siclick33

if this doesnt work Ill just buy a new OS .40 to save time
You'd be better off saving the money and buying a starter. A new engine won't solve your problem. A starter almost definately will!

How new is the engine? Newer engines seem to be harder to hand start to me. There is also a bit of a knack to it. If you have some nearby with a starter, try and borrow it (and them) to get the engine started. Then you can adjust the needle. Once this is done try hand starting it again and see how you go.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:07 PM
RC-Captain

thanks siclick 33 , Ill buy one tomorrow and try it , and the plane the engine was in was only flown once, So $150 rtf plane I couldnt resist plus the moor looks undamaged .... Ill let all of you know how it with starter.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:56 PM
RC-Captain

Im getting ready to test the glow plug should I see the coil get red hot or should it just feel warm ?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:57 PM
siclick33

It should glow bright orange.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:00 PM
RC-Captain

thanks for such a quick response . About how long should it tak to get bright orange ?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:04 PM
siclick33

Very quick. 2 seconds maybe (if that).
Old 04-11-2004, 07:09 PM
RC-Captain

thanks siclick it did glow bright orange so I guess this isnt the problem . what about intake adjust ments , if I turn the knob all the way clockwise isnt this the closed position , and how far should I open it , ....until I get fuel flowing ?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:50 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

If by intake adjustments, you mean the needle valve, then re-read my post above.
Dennis-
Old 04-11-2004, 10:34 PM
RC-Captain

LOL thanks DBCherry didnt see that before , but ok , I think tomorrow I should get it going , also I didnt remove the glow plug it shelf to check it , I just took off the top of the engine (four screws ) and then checked it and it was fine . Thanks Ill keep you guys posted .
Old 04-12-2004, 07:47 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with the others that an electric starter is the way to go. I have an OS .46 LA and it is very difficult to start by hand, as it is very tight. I always use an electric starter. Once you get it running, it is a fine engine (although not that powerful). Buying a new engine will not solve your problem.

You do need to make sure your glow igniter is fully charged. When mine is weak, the engine won't start.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Nebbie

My plane came with a 40LA. The first time I tried to start it, I wore out my arm trying to flip it. The next day I went and bought a starter, with the battery pack that attaches to the bottom of the starter. That definitely made it easier to start it. Now that I have had some flights on it, the engine starts with a few flips. I remember the problems that I had in the beginning with it though. I kept trying to find the "sweet spot" for the needle valve and the throttle. Now I hardly ever adjust the needle valve, and the throttle is all the way down with the trim all the way up. Once the engine is broken in and has some flights on it, it will definitely get easier. I rarely use the starter now. I just use the stick.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:52 PM
jrpnde

The OS 40LA does use an A3 glow plug. Really should have at least one spare on hand at all times...they're not very expensive. If you question the plug's integrity, just install a new one.

I can't remember exactly for the 40LA but I believe the manual recommends an initial opening of 1 1/2 turns for the needle valve from full closed. If there is no reference point for this setting, just make a small dot on the top of the valve with a Sharpie so you know how much you've opened it. I don't still have the Internet link for OS but it's really easy to find. Search thru something like Google for OS and they have online manuals/operating instructions for all their engines. Just be careful at the first not to run the engine too lean. Their manual has recommended tuning guidelines.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:53 PM
RC-Captain

Thanks Jrpnde, I greatly appreciate all of the replies , but I think the guy who sold me the engine didnt tell me the entire truth. When I got home today with the new electric starter I attempted several times to get the engine going , following all of the tips in this post but to no surprise it would not start . So my next step is to buy a new engine with several extra glow plugs and give this new found "cough cough " love another chance .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.