Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help with first plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help with first plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Mati2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with first plane

Hi guys, i need some help with buying first plane. I found 250$ plane RTF, RFC Hobbico SuperStar 40 Select, with everythjing on the board. Could you tell me is it a good deal

There is some picture here.

http://www.nsystem.pl/~mast/supersta...nia/index.html

http://www.nsystem.pl/~mast/superstar/index.html.

Plaese help.

Matt
Old 04-14-2004, 08:15 AM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Help with first plane

what comes with it? the superstar by itself for $250 isn't a good deal, but if it truly comes ready to fly (charge batts and throw in fuel) then it is a pretty good deal.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Mati2

Yes i think it got everything. What you think about plane is it good for learning. Futaba 4VF kanal 50 - 72,790MHz, 4 serwa, silnik O.S. .40 I was thinking about radio is it good???
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 AM
ArmyROTC

Get an Alpha trainer .40, what i got and it works wonders. My instructor says its the best trainer hes ever used to train people on! Good luck!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:34 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

that's a good price for the SuperStar RTF package. I've flown a few of these and they are fine trainers.......so is the Alpha that ArmyROTC mentioned. Both are very nice flying planes.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:37 PM
jrpnde

Is the plane new? If so, that's a good price at about $50 less than regular retail. You'll need some additional field equipment to start. If this is your first plane try to talk with some old hands at a local flying club and they can advise you on what to get at first unless money is no object. Until you decide if you want to progress in the hobby there's not much sense on buying all the bells and whistles. Some places like Tower offer bare-bones field kits at a reasonable price.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:02 AM
zhijiang

Hi guys, I am absolutely new to RC and plan on buying a trainer plane. Was looking at the Nexstar 46 RTF. What do you guys think of that? or do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look guys, they are trainers. Those Combo deals where you get a plane, engine and radio are the best deals out their for somebody learning to fly. The SuperStar and the Alpha are just fine and its a coin toss. One is no better than the other. Take your pick and have fun
Old 04-17-2004, 08:14 AM
WCB

For the money I'd get an Alpha 40 RTF. I learned on one with an instructor and later buddy boxed my brother on his. Great airplane and engine. When you are ready to move up there is a nice variety of other 40 size planes the engine will fit. I'm sure the other trainers are ok too I just don't know much about them.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:09 PM
xed

It's a trainer...

It obviously has had a few run-ins with objects or the ground based upon the patches on the wings. I'm sure they're repaired properly but it is something I would check in person. The engine looks in good shape too. I would ask about the batteries in the TX and RX, have they been abused, old, etc.

I purchased my first plane last year, all built and ready to go with radio and engine. Very happy with it (Hanger 9 Easy 2). I did end up replacing the radio I had (JR) cause there were very few people at our field who could buddy box with me. I have a Carl Goldberg Tiger 2 ready to go for the middle/end of this summer once I'm feeling very comfortable with flying this season. I picked up a Futaba 9C for that plane and I intend to get both planes configured with that radio at some point.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:25 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

zhijiang,
I flew a Nexstar a couple of weeks ago....in my opinion, it was OK, but not great........we had the AFS stabilization unit turned to considerably, and the plane still wanted to right itself too much.......I didn't like the fact that turns required me to hold the stick in position......that's a bad habit to get used to........also, I did a roll with the plane, and during the inverted stage of the roll, the plane almost put itself into a spin....it took me by surprise....I think it might have had something to do with the speed brakes/flaps on the wing. Like I said, the plane was OK, it flew good, but definitely not the best trainer I've flown.....the engine was great however. If you have an instructor to help you out, I would probably go with a different trainer.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Klunkyunkertin

Well for what my 2 cents is worth I'm still very happy with my Nexstar. The speed brakes do make inverted flight a bit...interesting shall we say. But if you practice on the simulator that comes with it you'll get the hang of it. 80% of the reason I like the plane so much is I just think it's a lot better looking than anything else out there. You gotta look good dude!