Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Patching a fuel tank?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Patching a fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:46 PM
fourthearth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patching a fuel tank?

[&o] I've been trying to patch an old fuel tank that Great Planes doesn't make anymore. I have used both epoxy and JB weld and both have been eaten away by the fuel. This is a pressurized fuel tank in my 40 size trainer plan and I haven't been able to find a like size tank. Does any one know if there is a way to patch a nitro fuel tank?
Old 04-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Patching a fuel tank?

If you clean the surfaces really good. You might try P.F.M. that Hobby Lobby sells. No guarntees though.
[&:]
Old 04-25-2004, 02:12 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have other modelers around who have accumulated tanks over the years, ask them if they will let you try stuffing their extra tanks into your plane until you find one that works. Or, if you have a local hobby shop, take your plane down there and see what they can do for you.

Patching a tank is only delaying the inevitable, it's better to replace it.

Don

BTW: If the only reason you are saying you can find a replacement is because the hole shape in a bulkhead won't let you fit a different size/shape tank through it, there is no rule that says you can't cut/grind/sand the bulkhead hole larger to let another style/size/shape tank pass through it.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:20 PM
rcdude37

clean it really really good and sand with sandpaper and us CA and BAKING SODA!..... this will last a while depending on how good the surface is and how good it all sticks,..... this works!
Old 04-25-2004, 05:39 PM
phread59

Hattend is right, you are fighting a loosing battle Replace the tank. Sullivan makes a series of Flex tanks. They can be put in places a rigid tank will not fit. Just be gentle installing them. That may solve your problem. Also take a look at Kraft/Hayes tanks. They make a pile of wierd sizes. Maybe one of them may do the trick. Just take your old one to a good hobby shop. They should be able to find a replacement for you.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-25-2004, 07:18 PM
fourthearth

Hey thanks for the ideas! I wanted to fly today so I tried a hot glue gun (which is just melted plastic anyway) and it seems to have worked pretty good. I sanded it real good and cleaned it with rubbing alcahol before patching it.

Now about the flying today...... It was very windy......And now I have some dirt to clean out of my carburator....Oh....and some patching up to do on the plane too..... [:@]