Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best Second (But ARF)

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Best Second (But ARF)

Old 04-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Flyin_High
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Second (But ARF)

I was just wondering what would be the best second plane as an ARF. I was seriously looking into the SIG 4*, but it is a kit, and I won't have the time this summer to build it (maybe this winter though). Anyways, do you guys have any ideas?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:20 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Best Second (But ARF)

The 4*40 is now available as an ARF.

The Tiger II is very similar... a little heavier wing loading and tricycle gear, and is also available as either ARF or kit.

Either makes a great second airplane.

You should also look at the wide assortment of "Stick" models. (Ulta-Stick, Big Stick, Little Stick... lots of "sticks") These are very good second airplanes also.

Stick with the baskic "hershey bar" shaped wing planform. Dihedral is nice but not necessary. Don't get one with too short of a fuselage (Somthin' Extra) unless you are THOUROUGHLY pushing the aerobatic limit of your trainer. If you get the Ultra-Stick... then you will want to use close to the "low rate" control throws as your high rates until you get used to the aircraft. (especially the elevator)
Old 04-28-2004, 03:36 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My second plane was a 4*60 ARF with an OS91 Surpass on it. I did have to make some mods to the ARF but for the most part it was not that difficult. BTW: I still love flying it.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Felix21685
My Feedback: (1)

keep the gp easy sport in mind i have it and love it
Felix
Old 04-28-2004, 03:50 PM
charlied123

If you are looking for a high wing the World Star 40 from world models is great. It's got the durability of a trainer but no dihedral so it does a great job with beginning aerobatics. It also has flaps. It's built to take punishement and usually sells for $99.00.

If you want low wing the World Model Super Sports 40 is even better for the same price.
There are alot of great ARFs but these two are a good value for what they offer.

Good luck and have fun!

Charlie
Old 04-28-2004, 04:27 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

My vote for the WM SS 40. Excellent choice for second plane, not to hard to assemble, good hardware, is available as non-cowled, or cowled, depends on wether you want to tackle an inverted engine or not. Could use a couple $$ worth of improvement parts, but canm be built great out of teh box.
A great flying, ez to handle plane.

Andy
Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GP Easy Sport, or Midwest Aerobat
Old 04-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

do a search on RCU for second plane.. 555,555,555,555 threads discussing this topic
Old 04-28-2004, 06:37 PM
BingoFlyer

I would look at one of Doc. Mathews planes, either the Bingo or the 4-60 (note not the star). I'm not sure if they are still available as a kit but RCM has the plans and they are both very easy to build from plans.

The 4-60 is a shoulder wing using a simi-symmetrical and was designed for a four stroke sixty sized engine (4-60) also as a 4-40 but not as good as the 60.

The Bingo uses the same wing plane but is a low wing with larger control surfaces, it will fly very well with a 4 stroke 60 but I use an OS.91 Surpass.

Both are easy to fly but will do many more maneuvers than a trainer. Ace used to kit these models but haven't in a while you may still find one. I like them because you will likely be the only one at the field with either.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:09 PM
TexAg78

Default Easy Sport

Easy Sport would be my choice. I've had both an Easy Sport and a Sig 4*40. Easy Sport is definitely a better second plane in my mind. It's a bit larger and easier to see, and it lands much easier.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:05 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I have always recommended the Great Planes Super Sportster, which makes a good second plane (it was my second). I recently bought a 4* 40 because so many people have been recommending them, and I now agree that it too would be a good second plane.

The 4* doesn't handle wind quite as well as the sportster, but it flys equally well. (The Sportster ARF is about $140 now, the 4* is somewaht less.) These are both tail draggers.

I also recently got to fly a Goldberg Tiger 2 and found that to be an excellent flying plane, and I'd be willing to recommend it as a second too. Handles wind as well as the Sportster, and lands a bit faster than the 4*, but still a good choice. I just saw the Tiger 2 ARF at Tower for $99. The Tiger has tricycle gear.

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 04-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4* 40, 60 and Spacewalker type's are easy to fly but can be harder to land than a trainer do to their tendency to "float". A very good second plane would be the World T-34 Mentor (40-46).
Set on low rates it is gentle and positive to fly but on high rates, it comes alive with crisp aileron rolls and big loops and with the nose wheel adjusted to provide negitive angel of attack on the wing you can do high speed landings.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:15 AM
forestroke

I agree with a65l, the WM SS40 is one of the best flying planes. If you are looking for a semi scale, the WM T-34 is also very nice.

As for me, I think the WM Ramber 30 is the sweetest flying plane... I have two and I don't have two of anything! I have the Ramber red interlaid with blue and it's beautiful, Running a 52 fourstroke mounted 90 degrees. Beautiful...
Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 AM
flyerdarren

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

GP Easy Sport, or Midwest Aerobat
I'll second the Aerobat, I love that plane, it flies great and lands even better. Only problem I had with it were the engine mounting screws that came with the kit. They were kinda weak.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Jumpnjoe

I also recommend th Midwest Aerobat. Great flying 2nd plane, lands slow, looks nice, etc. I "thought" the engine mounting bolts were kinda weak too, compared to my trainer's, but I found out when I nosed into the runway full throttle (radio/receiver interference), and my engine mount broke, that those small screws aren't going anywhere. They don't look strong, but they are.

I'm rambling now...