Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Converting 2T fuel to 4T

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Converting 2T fuel to 4T

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 11:35 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Converting 2T fuel to 4T

I use 15% Nitro fuel for all my 2 stroke engines and recently I bought a 4 stroke engine. Question is can I use my 2 stroke fuel for my 4 stroke engine ? If it is not advisable, can I modify my 2 stroke fuel e.g. adding certain % of lubricant. Thanks.......
Old 06-27-2002, 11:43 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the same 15/18 fuel in both types.
The 18% oil is better for the new four stroke, then I start using
the 15/16 fuel after a couple of gallons thru the engine.

Randy
Old 06-28-2002, 03:43 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Rajul-

It depends on the specific brand/model of engine. What do the instructions call for?

For example, I have a magnum 4s that calls for 16% oil, preferably castor. I also have a saito that says 18-20%, but little or no castor. I believe most OS 4 strokes call for 18%+ synthetic, castor or blend. And I believe YS's all need 20% oil.

If your engines have similar nitro ranges and you want to use one fuel for all, read each engines manual, and select a mix for the engine that requires the highest percentage oil using a synthetic/castor mix. This should work ok with all of them unless you have an engine that specifically states "no castor". Extra oil is almost always better than too little.

Remember to always follow the instructions and you should be fine.

-Jeremy
Old 06-28-2002, 03:59 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

It's really a misnomer perpetuated by the fuel mfr's to call a fuel "two-stroke" or "four-stroke". The label is meaningless.

What matters most to the engine is oil content and type.
Nitro content is, of course, important, too. But the oil content and type is the major fuel factor which influences engine life.

Many 4-stroke mfr's recommend all-synthetic while some say add a little castor. Too much castor will lead to carbon deposits in the valve area which will impair the engine. A small amount of castor will protect the engine better during an overheated condition.

Check with the mfr for oil content and type recommendations and ignore the "4-stroke" and "2-stroke" labels on the bottle.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use 15% "Cool Power" in all of my engines, (OS 2 strokes OS 4 strokes and a YS 4 stroke) and it runs all of them beautifully.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:50 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

I use 15% "Cool Power" in all of my engines, (OS 2 strokes OS 4 strokes and a YS 4 stroke) and it runs all of them beautifully.

Interesting. Cool Power is 17% pure synthetic. I know that os says 18% plus for all engines and specifies some castor for the ABN 2 strokes. And I believe YS reccomends 20% oil.

You've never had any trouble with 17% oil? Wow.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:21 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I run Wild Cat 15%/18% and have had no prob
Old 06-28-2002, 11:55 PM
richb1492
My Feedback: (4)

Default I use the same fuel in 2 and 4 stroke planes

I use the same fuel in my 2 stroke and 4 stroke. When I got my 4 Stroke I asked the same question at the Hobby shop about should i use 4-stroke fuel and I was told by a lot of people I could use the same fuel in 2 stroke and 4 stroke and it has prov-en true.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:58 PM
crosswind

OS recommendation keeps you on the safe side concerning the percentage of oil. There wouldn't be that much difference between 17 and 18 percent. Many FS manufacturers tell you to NOT use 4 stroke fuel. This is because 4 stroke fuel has a lower oil content than 2 cycle, which gives more power... but a lean run could easily ruin an engine. If you're careful you can usually get by with the four stroke fuel, but I don't use it in my 91 surpass.