Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OS .46 for LT-40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OS .46 for LT-40

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 11:22 AM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .46 for LT-40

I have heard that the OS LA .46 is a cheap engine. Is the OS a good motor? What motor brand would be the best .46 size?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:37 PM
ICE_MAN

Default RE: OS .46 for LT-40

A .46 should pull the trainer around OK. I dont know all the specs on the LT-40 but i had one on my superstar and it pulled it ok. I know I may get bashed for this but i no longer will use O.S. engines. My 46 LA worked OK for 3 flights then it all went down the drain. It started leaking, wouldnt start, when it did start it would run like a pile of crap. I know that it wasn't my fault as I have 2 years nitro tuning experience and thats high power VERY tempermental race engines. I know use Super Tigre engines. I have a .51 in my superstar 40 that will give it unlimited vertical and hover. Takeoffs can be made a 1/4 throttle and at full throttle the rollout for take off is only 5-10 feet(probably quicker but i haven't tried it).I highly recomend this brand. Check out the .45 they have. Forgot to mention I'll be putting a 51 super tigre in my UCANDO.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Tannerlb

Yea, I have the Thunder Tiger .46 Pro for my LT-40 i heard that it will haul @$$. HOpe this helps!!
Old 05-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would HIGHLY recommend the following motors for an LT-40: OS 46 FX OR 46 AX (You want the ball bearing motor), Thunder Tiger Pro 46. The ball bearing engines cost a little more (The TT should be closest in price to the LA), but provide plenty of power for your trainer and then can be used in your second plane. Go to the Tower site and check the HP specs on the 46 LA and the 46 FX or AX, you will see what I mean.

Both the OS and the TT engines are "user friendly" and require a MINIMUM of tinkering to get them to run properly, in fact MOST of these 2 brands of engines run great right out of the box.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:02 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

Get the 46AX... I just used mine today... Put it on my 2nd plane an ultra stick... WOW break in was a snap.. started 3-4 flips EVERYTIME! I ran 2 tanks on the ground pretty rich, just out of 4stroke, slightly into 2 stroke at Full Throttle. I took the plane to the air for the 3rd tank, and it runs really well (still very rich). yeah its 10-20 more than other engines, but why fuss with an engine when you could be flying?
Old 05-08-2004, 06:17 PM
bigchap

i would use ANYTHING but an o.s. la,you could make a much better choice than that hunk of junk!
Old 05-09-2004, 03:18 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Get the largest .40-.52 size you can afford. The LT40 needs all the power it can get. If you get a .52 you won't regret it. My .46FX pulls mine around pretty good but some more cubes would be nice. The OS .46FX is a very good engine. I'm sure other brands are just fine also.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:00 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

No matter who mentions the OS .46LA it gets a heavy bashing on RCU. Mine runs well and starts easily. Sure the FX with BB shaft support is a better engine. Any BB engine will give you longer service and higher RPM's. All that being said a lot depends on your budget. The .46 LA will haul an LT40 all over the sky and it will wear out the airplane before the engine gives up. Occasionally there is a sale on LA engines and one of our members always buys three. They are cheap but dependable. I have FX and SX OS engines as well as some LA's and they are all fine by me. I've had a lot of different engines by different manufacturers some good some bad.
All the TT's I've heard in flight sound as if they are detonating. I tried different fuel and throttle mixtures but never got used to the sound.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:49 PM
CP140

I flew my LT40 with both a 46LA and a 46FX(before I killed the airplane...). At our field, you takeoff over a line of trees and must almost immediately start a climbing turn to get over the trees on the downwind side. The LA was not quite enough engine...it made take offs a little more exciting than was comfortable. Given the field I fly at, the FX is a better match...getting off the ground is(or rather was!) a lot more comfortable.

I have nothing against the LA...it still flies now and again on my Eagle 2(The Eagle is smaller and I think lighter than the LT40.) and is enough engine for it.... it just didn't have quite enough get up and go **for the airplane/pilot skill level/field **at the time It has been reliable and starts easily... but then again so has my FX.

I'd suggest going to the field where you plan on flying and asking/seeing what others are using... there is almost sure to be an LT40 or two...ask the club instructors...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Dzlstunter

ORIGINAL: CP140

I'd suggest going to the field where you plan on flying and asking/seeing what others are using... there is almost sure to be an LT40 or two...ask the club instructors...
Good advice. I learned on an LT-40 using an O.S. 40FP, the plain-bearing ancestor of the 40 LA. It did just fine. I still have the engine, and it is still in regular service after many flights, crashes, more flights. Just treat it right and don't expect more of the product than it is capable. I have no personal experience with the LA series, but others at my club seem to get good service from them in moderate-power applications. Good luck, Dzl
Old 05-10-2004, 10:18 AM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything that'll spin an APC 11x5 at a decent RPM should do the job, I use an Irvine 39 in mine... the 46LA should be okay although not quite as powerful as the Irvine...
I tried an OS46FX in mine too, works well although not noticably better for this plane. You don't want anything heavier than a 46FX though or you'll end up adding weight to the tail to compensate...
Old 05-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Fastsky

The LA's are cheap but relaible engines. Downside is that they are a weak engine. The best engine for the price/performance is the Thunder Tiger PRo 46. A great running engine and easy to adjust. If you don't mind spending extra bucks the OS FX, AX or whatever X they csll it now a days has more power, is reliable, and is also easy to adjust. The Super Tigers have problems (imo) that I don't want to get into right now. If you want, you can email me for details. Just for interest I could hang on the prop with my OS 40FX on my LT40 with an 11-5 Mast Airscrew prop.