Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

how to clean an engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

how to clean an engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 04:36 PM
t8jones
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to clean an engine

Well guys, I finally crashed my trainer today. The servo went bad in the aileron and crashed right after takeoff. Oh well, it had a good run. Now for the question-how should I clean my engine since it drove into the ground and got dirt all over it and possibly in it. Should I take it apart and clean it with something. Someone told me you could put it in the dishwasher. I wasnt sure if that was a good idea, but how should I do it? Let me hear some suggestions
Old 05-09-2004, 04:43 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: how to clean an engine

Whe I clean a BADLY dirt filled engine...

I remove the carb and backplate... flush some fuel into the case and let it drain out where the carb was. (collect the fuel in a whipped topping or butter tub) Then I wash the carb out in the wasted fuel.

Then I decide if I need to dissasemble the engine or carb more to get more dirt out. All parts that are dissasembled are swished around in the waste fuel... then dried with a terry-cloth rag and placed on a paper towel or newspaper IN THE ORDER THEY WERE REMOVED.

When all parts are clean... assemble in opposite order of removal. Be careful not to over-torque the backplate screws. Even the metal backplates can be broken. (or the case threads stripped)
Old 05-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Barland

AND......

Mark the connecting rod so you know which way it should go back in. I take an Exacto knife and place a small X on the side facing me when the back plate is taken off. Mine can go back in either way. I know the experts can recognise which way is correct, but the X makes it simple for me.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:28 PM
5_spot

If you have a evolution .61 engine,i think there is a pin behind the carb that is pressed on both ends.
Good luck
Old 05-09-2004, 09:01 PM
t8jones

so what about just cleaning the outside.Should I wash it with water to get the dirt out between the cooling fins and what if I get water in the cylinder. Should I not put it in the dishwasher.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:50 PM
t8jones

I looked at my engine and have no idea how to get the connecting rod out. It is an evolution 46.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:08 AM
Vortec

No i would not put it in the dishwasher to clean the out side of the motor..ROFL. I clean mine with WD40 or CRC and a toothbrush to get the dirt off plus it dries quick.If you think there is junk inside the motor, pull it down, or get some one to do it for you.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:39 AM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AND,

DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER. Any dirt that is inside the engine will probably score the crank and/or liner.

For the preson who can not get the con rod off: MARK THE CYLINDER LINER AND THE CON ROD, THEN remove the liner. Once the liner is out the con rod comes right off. When you reassemble it, make sure the mark on the con rod is to the back of the engine, then insert the liner over the piston/con rod assembly and line up the mark on the liner with the mark on the block when pressing/pushing the liner in place. DO NOT OVER TORQUE the head bolts.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Campy you took the words right out of my mouth.
Don't flip the engine over until AFTER it is cleaned