Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Beginner, Second time around. >

Beginner, Second time around.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner, Second time around.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner, Second time around.

Hello All
I want some opinions on what kind of plane to get. I used to fly RC but haven't flown in about 12 years. I was soloing and had transitioned to a sport plane (Ugly Stik) when I quit. My question is whether I should start back out flying a trainer again or go ahead and build a sport plane and start back up where I left off. I will also be teaching my 12 year old son to fly so for that reason I'm leaning towards a trainer. The thing is I don't want to build a trainer (Yes I'm building and not buying an ARF. I enjoy building em as much as flying em) and then be bored after a few weeks because I can't do "sport" type flying if I prove to relearn my skills quickly. Also I don't want to build a sport and end up crashing it because I have lost all my skills and need to relearn them. So would you go back to square one with a trainer or is there a sport/trainer kit anyone knows of I can look at? I want to build a .60 size plane of whichever style I end up going with.

Thanks

Shooter
Old 06-04-2004, 11:44 AM

Default RE: Beginner, Second time around.

Oh yeah, The Super Chipmunk in my avatar was the last plane I built and has never been flown. It's sitting in my parents attic back in Oklahoma but I definitly won't be using it for my return to flying. I plan on pulling it out of the "hangar" when I visit in a few weeks and possibly flying it in 6-8 months when I've reaquired my RC skills.

Shooter
Old 06-04-2004, 07:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the exact same boat except it was 10 years ago and I had just gotten comfortable with my trainer.......sorry to inform you, but you have lost your skills, start over with the trainer...Rog
Old 06-04-2004, 07:19 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree, you may be rusty, but you never forget the basics. I would get an intermediate trainer. Something like the Midwest aerobat, GP easy Sport, or even a 4* or Tiger II
Old 06-04-2004, 07:20 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I would recommend the Great Planes PT60. I built the PT40 and was quite pleased with the kit.
Put a good engine on it and you will have a trainer that wil do well for you and your son.
My PT40 also does some decent (but not spectactular) aerobatics.
I don't know if the 60 has the "sport wing" (less dihedral) option like the 40 does, but if it does I would build that one.
Good luck. I hope to train my son with the PT40 someday, but he's only 4-1/2.[8D]
Old 06-04-2004, 08:01 PM

The PT 20 was my first plane 15 years ago. If I decide to go with a trainer it will definitly be a PT-60. The Easy sport looks fun but I don't see a 60 size on the GP website. The 4* was one of the sport planes I was considering, I've heard a lot of goo things about it as well as the Top Flight Contender. I hadn't looked at the Tiger 60 but I really like the looks of it. If I went with a sport plane I would want a high or mid wing configuration.

Thanks everyone for helping me try to figure out which way to go. Keep the suggestions coming.

Shooter
Old 06-05-2004, 12:18 AM

Start with the trainer (the 12YO will love you for it) then get another kit to build in the winter. I've seen guys flying 3D that still enjoy bringing the trainer out for a nice easy flight every now and then.