Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Piper Cub Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Piper Cub Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Jacop10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piper Cub Question

I'm currently building a Great Planes Piper J-3 Cub .25 size kit. I've never flown a cup and I was wondering how it flies. I posted the same question on the scale forums but it never got any hits for people even looking at it so... Help?
Anyway, I'm an intermediate flyer and the Cub's gonna be the next plane after my UltraStick 40 and an Avistar. It is also my first kit build.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Piper Cub Question

You know people make a plane hard to fly in their mind. The .25 J3 is not hard to fly if you keep in mind the conditions in which you try to fly it in. Watch your air speed and wind , be sure what you want to do when you want to do it and use positive control.
Sorry no one answered your other thread some times we wait , to see what answers you get!!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Righty

I've never flown a cup
I've never flown a cup either! sorry i just had to. ( i should be the last person to point out spelling mistakes). how big is a .25 cub?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Jacop10

Bah, sorry my typing at times gets a little screwy...
The .25 cuB has a 61 in. wingspan and has a 40 in. fuse. So it's decently sized.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Jeepindog

My SIG 1/5 scale Cub flies like a school bus- it's slow, lumbering, and about as maneuverable as a school bus. It is graceful and peaceful to fly, and it looks so good in the air and on the ground. It is not responsive, and requires you to plan a little further ahead than some other planes. It's so slow, though, that there's time to plan and set up for landings, etc, before you get all crossed up, unless you're just not paying attention. It is not forgiving, however, so don't get into trouble and you won't have any problems. Remember that you use a LOT of rudder with a Cub, especially during takeoff and landing. Ailerons are pretty much useless at those times, until the plane is truly flying. Enjoy.

Lachlan
Old 06-16-2004, 09:47 PM
air mail rcu

Jacop 10,

I flown cubs for 25 years and love them. I never had a Great planes cub but I've flown 1/2 a to 60 size. And everyone was great. They can be very responsive with the right throws and the right CG. And they are great to just fly slow around the field when the sun is going down. Touch and goes are very pretty with a taildragger. A friend of mine had a GP 40 size Cub and did not like it. (he is one of the best pilots around) I don't know about the 25 size. But if you don't like it try another manufacture. I liked Midwest, Carl Goldburg. and Sig. just to name a few.

Terry
Old 06-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Live Wire

On the ground the Cub is a bear, The tail wheel is the trick, with the rudder. Learn to use the left stick. When you learn to fly a Cub watch every thing else you fly change.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Jacop10

Change for the better I'm hoping?
Old 06-17-2004, 05:56 AM
ksechler

I had this model and it is very easy to fly. The ground handling can leave a lot to be desired since it has a tendency to ground loop, but with the low take-off speed you only have to keep it in a straight line for a little while. Plan to either set differential in the ailerons or mix in some rudder. It is very prone to yawing with aileron application. With the sole exception of take-off, it flies very much like a trainer. In fact, it's a little slower than most trainers on the market.

I've flown mine with everything from an Enya .25 BB to an OS .15 LA to a .40 4-stroke. The Enya was a little too much power. A .25 LA or .30 4-stroke would be ideal. This plane should be well within your capabilities.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:49 AM
prebres
My Feedback: (7)

A Cub ( or4 Cup as they are sometimes called in MA) is a fantastic plane. It can be as gentile as a trainer or with a clipped wing as aggresive as Super Decathalon. I've had the GP Cub ARF (81") I powered it with a Tower Hobbies .40 size engine and it flew very scale like.

The rudder is your best friend on a cub. Learn the rudder. learn to hold UP elevator during the start of your take off roll to pin the tail to the ground, and then let it off slowly until the tail is flying, the add it again and you will be off the ground. It is a beatutiful thing to fly a Cub.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:08 PM
nicholas.t
My Feedback: (1)

hi i know this may be getting of track a bit but i have just bought a second hand plane it looks very much like a cub 108" span very nice looking plane but on the tail it says piper centurion now i have looked on the web and can not find any reference to this plane only the cessna210 which this is not
does any one know of such a plane was it a modified cub
here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84627.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	147609  
Old 04-28-2007, 11:08 PM
bcjc

could some tell me what the CG on a 40 goldburg cub
Old 04-29-2007, 05:03 AM
rcdivot

ORIGINAL: bcjc

could some tell me what the CG on a 40 goldburg cub
3 1/2 to 4 1/4 inches from the leading edge of the wing is the recomended range on the goldberg cub.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:32 AM
B.L.E.

I have a GP Cub 20 and it flies great. Mine is powered by a OS .26 four stroke. This engine has been discontinued and replaced with a .30 which should also be a good match for this plane. If I was to do it again, I think I would mount the engine inverted to get the engine's carb more in line with the fuel tank.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a GP .20 Cub with a LA.25 inverted . This engine has an airbleed screw for the LS adjustment and has been a real pain to get the idle right but once set , it has plenty of power for the plane.

This little Cub is a handful on the ground. I practiced takes off rolls till I was blue in the face, lol but it really paid off . The guys no longer run for cover when I bring the little Cub out. Be gentle with the throttle on roll out , once the tail is up it handles much better.

It flies very nicely. Some what like a trainer but it does have the Cub flying traits . On a windy day, you can fly it backwards and loops , rolls , ect , mild aerobatics are fun.

Landings can be interesting if you have a crosswind and wind in general pushes the plane around. And if you can master this little Cubs bad traits , it will make you a much better flyer .
Old 04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
dertwosubsw2

I have a .61 Super tigre GP piper cub that I got from a friend. I feel really nervous as a beginner to even try flying this thing. I don't even know anything about the expert-name 6 channel radio that came with it. I don't know if it would even work with a buddy box. What would be a good trainer to buy before flying this plane? I was thinking about the Hobbistar .61 MKIII trainer or the .61 tower hobbies trainer. I all ready have servos and another .61 super tigre engine that I could put in it. Would I need a simpler radio? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could I use rc car Dynamite 20% or 10% for fuel?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Insanemoondoggie

You could learn to fly on the Cub , if you have an instructor. I would not recommend it, as the cubs don`t handle hard landings as well as a trainer and if this is a nice Cub , it won`t be by the time you learn to fly on it.

Go with the Towers trainer, use a coupon and you should be able to get it freely cheap. I have owned the Tower 40 size trainer , good airplane for the money.

I would do a search on your radio and try to down load the manual. If you hook up with an instructor , he will preflight your equipment .

Good luck
Old 04-29-2007, 10:33 PM
dertwosubsw2

Does anyone know anyting about the expert radio? I don't know if this is an old radio this out dated or what. Hopefully I will be able go to the club and hobby store Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 PM
2mc1

I bought a piper cub and I think it was a .40 but they put a .60 in. for floats. How could I tell for sure? How would I tell if it was a goldberg, GP, or what? 40 or 60 sized? Thanks for any input. Clint
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Mr67Stang

Pictured would help. Especialy ones that show the construction and type of ailerons. Also get us some measurements (Wing Span and length).
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 PM
B.L.E.

The Great Planes Cub .20 uses full length strip style ailerons instead of the more scale-like barndoor ailerons. Once off the ground, it's like flying a trainer. The turns are still prettier if you use the rudder along with the ailerons even though it can be flown with aileron and elevator control only. This is also true of most airplanes, even trainers.
I think that Great Planes .40 and .60 Cubs use the more scale like barn door ailerons.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:57 PM
TCrafty

I've wanted to try out a Cub for quite some time. I was talking to one of the guys at my club and another guy got his Cub out to fly it. I told the guy I was talking to that I'd been looking at Cubs and was thinking of getting one. He told me that if I wanted one, he had one. It was an old Goldberg kit with clipped wings and done up in a military scheme. I bought it and put a Saito 72 in it. I love the way that it flies but like some of the guys here have said, if it goes too far, you'll know it. this thing will snap like nobody's business. I did some twisting (deliberately) in the air and when it hit the point of no return, it wouldn't listen to anything I asked it to do until it got some airspeed again. Then, it was back to being a *****cat. Really a wierd situation. The guy I bought it from said that it would do that but until I saw the ugly side of a Cub, I couldn't have imagined it.

I think you could learn on a Cub so long as you don't do ANYTHING but calm flight. If you get scared and start jerking it around, it'll bite you and I think that is what separates a Cub from a "trainer". My .02.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Here a vid of my GP Cub in 10 to 15 mph cross winds. [link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/7VHFX4MZD0Y5VPHM]Windy little Cub[/link]