Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Most Recommended Second Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Sig Four-Star
35.80%
Goldberg Tiger 2
20.99%
Great Planes Super Sportster
4.94%
World Models Super Sports
1.23%
Great Planes Rapture
1.23%
Sig Somethin' Extra
9.88%
The "Stick"
22.22%
Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D
3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Most Recommended Second Plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 11:04 PM
dkf1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most Recommended Second Plane

I've read over countless threads about 2nd planes. And I almost hate to post another thread concerning this topic. But I'm curious which of the most popular 2nd planes would be most recommended.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:22 AM
oistein
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Most Recommended Second Plane

Hi you all,

My experiences with the tiger 2 tells me that it would be difficult if not impossible to make a plane better. It lands as easy as PT40, it can do everything except advanced 3D, easy to build, strong construction, can take a great variety of engines, builds as nose wheel or tail dragger.

That Goldberg really new how to design model aircrafts. PS! I have also tried his cub and super chipmunk they are both great fliers.

Rgds
Oistein
Old 08-30-2004, 08:02 AM
grumpE
My Feedback: (6)

Agree with Oistein.

But I would give the four star a slight edge over the Tiger. They come in a little lighter in my experience. EASY to build if you are so inclined and the ARF is a great one. I have two of the ARFs now (crashed my kit) and each took only about 3-4 hours to assemble. Put a good 46 in it and it will do anything you want in a second plane and still slow down to a crawl for landings. It is a tail dragger and you will need to master a few new tricks to make take offs and landings smooth but you need to learn sometime.

Eithe way you will enjoy the next step in your flight training.

Just my thoughts.

Eric
Old 08-30-2004, 05:10 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Poll is slightly skewed. You're asking which 2nd plane is recommended most often, not which 2nd plane would I recommend.

I checked off the Tiger 2, not because it's recommended most (the 4* is), but because I think it's the better choice.
Dennis-
Old 08-30-2004, 06:39 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered the Tiger 60. I figure that the 4* is a good plane, Sig does a good job, I have to say, I hear from many people that the Tiger is just as well recieved, and there are a couple of small things that I like about the Tiger better.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:42 PM
jboy381-RCU

i think the big stik from GP would make a good 2ND plane...has trainer like slow flight and stable high speed flight with a little areobatics thown in...

john
Old 09-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

4*40 is the most recommended and is my choice also-

A close runner-up is any heavy warbird-
Old 09-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Dave the RcFlyer

I'm gonna get the 4 star but I was wondering if it can hover... and other basic 3d
Old 09-02-2004, 09:28 PM
dkf1979

I just ordered the 4*40 myself. I bought a TT Pro .46 to go with it. Supposed to arrive this Saturday. Can't wait!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:04 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I am a die hard 4* fan myself as I have had 2 of the 60 size planes and loved both of them. Now that I fly 1/4 scale and larger stuff I just got a world Models Super Stunts 60 and wow what a plane for the money. The 40 size is really a 60 size plane and the 60 is huge. It has an 80 inch wing span and it is about 5 1/2 feet long. The prices are very good also. The 40 is around 89.00 and the 60 is 169.00. If you are looking for a Stik type plane look at these. I haven't flown mine yet but will report as soon as I do.

Rick
Old 09-03-2004, 05:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While the 4* is an excellent plane, to me it only has one major drawback... It's butt ugly.

It looks more like a crop duster than a sport plane. That's why the Tiger and Rapture are my suggestions.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:22 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

I would have to say its a matter of what your interests are in flying. I have seen guys transition to all different types of models for their 2nd plane. Except Warbirds whats your prefrence. I would say an all around good flyer for every aspect of flying at least at our field is the Ultra Stick from horizon. Very aerobatic and even considered a beginer 3D plane. Also very stable on landings. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:29 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

If anyone has links to where these are on the web that would be nice. I tried to look some of them up and couldn't find good links for them. Thanks
Old 09-03-2004, 08:43 AM
grumpE

Dave,

While it is not a 3D plane by any stretch of the imagiantion it will handle several basic maneuvers. I have two 40 sized 4 stars, one with an OS 70 Surpass and one with an OS 46 FX. I can "hover" both but would not do it very low to the ground. On the heavy side and while I have plenty of engine in each I do not get unlimited vertical or instant pull out power. Trying to make it do a waterfall now. Walls are easy. Can do a wicked pseudo blender. Am amaxed the vert and horiz stab stay on some times.

Basically it is a rock solid second plane. Great to learn how to handle a tail dragger on. Good high speed stability yet will slow to a virtual crawl for landing.

There are lots of tricks to improve the aerobatic capabilities if you build the kit. Clipping the wing, no dihedral, adding to the vert stab etc. You are more constrained with the ARF but can be flying in about four hours worth of work.

If you are newly soloed pilot I would not hesitate recomending it. I had receiver issues in my trainer right after I soloed. My wife had given me a four star as a gift and it was ready to go. Baptism by fire! BUT, with the help of a few really good isntructors I had learned to handle a tail dragger and a low wing sport plane within a few sessions.

Flew the wings off it for a couple of months and was very happy. Learned a lot of basic aerobatics, then more involved stuff.

Take your time. Learning 3D is tough. Learning it on a non 3D plane is really tough. Learning 3D before you are ready is probably nearly impossible. But you sure will enjoy it.

Know several folks flying the tiger and they say the same things. I think you will like the 4 star a great deal.

I like the looks of the four star as opposed to the Tiger. Personal pref. I do live in the land of corn and have seen a lot of crop dusters. Maybe that explains it MinnFlyer?!

Either way. Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:49 AM
grumpE

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com

http://www.sigmfg.com

There you go. FYI you can get a ton of websites from the Tower Hobbies website. They list every manufacture website along with the products.

Eric
Old 09-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

Here is my "butt-ugly" 4 Star 120:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91702.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	169844  
Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
grumpE

Ya know Butt Ugly is a relavent term. Whose butt?

Mine ugly. [:'(]

Sand vollyball...... NOT UGLY!

Love the Breitling scheme Cmdr!

Eric