Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"official" solo

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"official" solo

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 01:41 PM
ActionVerb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "official" solo

Friday went out with instructor. had the landing down so-so, and wanted to practice touch and go's since it's required to be soloed. was having quit a bit of trouble with the approach, from 50' out to that landing, as the plane slowed it became harder to maintain the right slope. (hope these are the right terms) Brought it in, instructor rechecked the CG. Ended up throwing 3/4 of an once on the tail. HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!! She glides in so nice now. Got the touch and go's down.

Saturday got the club prez to check me out, 2nd instructor required for solo, and didn't have one prob. Said I'm good to go. Did have to do my 1st forced dead-stick. Went nice.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Reading about so many different experiences here made me a better pilot from the 1st time I put hands on the Tx.

Couple things: Planes absolutely covered in oil when done. I'm talking dripping and stuff. This normal? Possibly rich on the high end? (EVO PTS .46)

Landing a lot easier with a closer last turn, instead having to maintain proper elevator and throttle management for 600' to touchdown.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:56 PM
MerlinL14

Default RE: "official" solo

Way to go. It's just the best feeling in the world when the buddy cord is cut and you are FREE to just go.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:12 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ActionVerb
Couple things: Planes absolutely covered in oil when done. I'm talking dripping and stuff. This normal? Possibly rich on the high end? (EVO PTS .46)
Congrats on your solo!

Oil on the plane is normal. That's why the electric crowd calls glow powered planes "slimers". It is not a sign your engine is too rich. I carry a roll of paper towels in the flight box so I can wipe some of the slime off the plane. In addition to the paper towels, I carry a bottle of spray cleaner to degrease the plane at the end of the day. That way it's clean when I get home and all I need to do before the next flying session is charge the batteries. Another useful addition to the flight box is a tube of waterless cleaner. Helps get rid of the slime from your hands before driving home. I'm using stuff called "Simple Green", spray and hand cleaner. Many other brands are available.

Something that might help reduce the slime is an exhaust deflector. It's a piece of tubing you slip on the end of your muffler to help direct the exhaust away from the plane, or at least in a direction to minimize the amount of slime on the plane.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:46 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Congrats on the Solo!!

I just came upstairs to get some fresh air...as I am building my first plane right now... Whew! Epoxy stinks!!

I'm stressed but loving it....

Again Congrats! Hope to join you in the "SOLO" ranks, before too long!
Old 09-26-2004, 05:02 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't wipe that slime off! It helps the plane slip thru the air! And if you don't have enough, you can't side slip into a landing!

Andy

(snicker)
Old 09-26-2004, 08:46 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cute Andy.

Action,
Congrats on the solo, it only gets better from here on out.

You could still be a bit rich, sounds like excessive "slime" to me, but you'd be better off adding that exhaust deflector that someone else mentioned, than leaning the engine anymore, especially if you're happy with the performance.
Dennis-
Old 09-27-2004, 08:34 AM
ActionVerb

thanks all.

Don't wipe that slime off! It helps the plane slip thru the air! And if you don't have enough, you can't side slip into a landing!
NICE. So when I grease my landing we're talking literally and by the end of the day the planes leaving a slug trail. I use Windex with about a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid (which I read about here) so I'm able to get it cleaned up but the slime coating always seems to be on there. Had to repair my firewall recently so removed some covering on bottom of the fuselage. I couldn't get the new covering to stick, despite cleaning it with acetone, so just fuelproofed it with thick CA.

And I have the deflector, so Im doing all I can, so since it's preforming well I'll leave it alone.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:30 PM
MSP1957
My Feedback: (1)

Congratulations. Just be careful for awhile. It seems like some of the new fliers at our field have been ending up in the trees lately.

I add some ammonia to those orange degreasers, but ultimately, there is always some "slime" left. good luck

Michael
Old 09-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Parrotman

Good job!!! Just remember, ALTITUDE AND AIR SPEED ARE YOUR FRIENDS!!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:40 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try baby wipes. They generally cut through that slime, I mean, that's what they were designed for right?

The wipes do leave a bit of streaking behind, but a quick swipe with "Windex" or similar gets rid of that if you care. I've had decent luck getting covering to stick by wiping down with alcohol first.
Dennis-
Old 09-27-2004, 06:16 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the solo

Hey Minnflyer, another attaboy please...
Old 09-28-2004, 08:23 AM
ActionVerb

multiple times while flying I have to say to myself, "You're new, you're green, don't get over confident and remember, **** happens fast!!" Now I'll add "altitude and airspeed" to that.

Try baby wipes. They generally cut through that slime, I mean, that's what they were designed for right?
excellent! I should have though of that. With a 4 month old in the house we have a few million baby wipes sitting around.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:27 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One ATTABOY Comin' up!

Well done!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43200.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	177659  
Old 09-28-2004, 10:07 AM
ActionVerb

Thanks MinnFlyer
Old 09-28-2004, 10:24 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the planes leaving a slug trail
At least you have a way to find the plane if you overshoot into the tall grass at the end of the runway ....Just kidding
Old 09-28-2004, 04:06 PM
ELTIGRE

I would be careful about the exhaust extension. a small-(less than 1 inch ) would be ok to get the stream out of the way but the ones availible often cause more back pressure& certainly heat build up of your motor. some times you get away with it but it can be an ultimately expensive way to solve the problem.best is to side mount the engine & even use a "pitts style muffler for minimum accumulation.something you have to live with on glow power. pure rubbing alcohol is cheap & works well.