Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Power Point prop balancer

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Top Flite Power Point prop balancer

Old 11-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Power Point prop balancer

I lost the instructions to my Precision Magnetic balancer and was wondering something. When you balance the prop, should it balance horizontal? I know obviously that the heavy blade will rotate downward, but what if the blade seems to stay wherever you rotate it to. I have no friction that I am aware of and if I move one blade up or down very slowly, it will just stay wherever I let go of it. Is this right? Seems common sence it should only balance in a horizontal position! When I initially put it on the balancer, one blade of my APC prop was definately heavier than the other.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:11 AM
APIA

Default RE: Top Flite Power Point prop balancer

When the propeller is balanced correctly, it should remain in ANY position set and not move. I had a TF powerpoint and found that the shaft was slightly irregular, consequently, propeller balance was inconsistant. Do yourself a favor and install the collet assembly without a prop, and see if it stops in the same position after spinning it. Mark one cone for reference. I finally spent the big bucks and got myself a DuBro, which in my opinion head and shoulders above the rest.
-Tom
Old 11-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

WOW, you are so right! My shaft is straight but the collets must not be balanced as you would think they should be. They do stop in the same spot each time, and when I do add the prop, I can get a very inacurate reading each time just by rotating the collets on the shaft. What a shame, you pay a lot of money for something that you think is the cat's ass and it turns out to be a piece of crap!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So you have a balancer that's so sensitive that it can detect fragments of 1/10's of an ounce and it's crap?

If you have bad cones, contact us about them.

[email protected]
Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 PM
whatwheel

I also have had problems with the Top Flite magnetic balancer, i am not new to this hobby but getting back in after 20 yr. absence.
I am also very mechanically inclined and read and reread the instructions, i have a Tru Turn 2 3/4 spinner and a APC13-8 prop.

Problem,
Rotate cones item changes position, this will drive you up the wall.

Have tried,

Checked rod as per book, looks ok.
Rotated rod with just cones , they stop at random positions.
Tried mags. with the plastic disk on them and polished.
Checked to see that cones were properly seated in item on rod.
Put light oil on mags.
Checked clerance between mag. and rod.
Checked ends of rod as per book, looked ok.

With heavy items like prop,back plate and spinner on balancer ,
the rod will float and the item will freely turn and stop at what you would think was the heavy point, but just twist the cones and it is a new ball game.

There just does not seem to me that there is not enough mass with just the cones on the rod to get a good balance test on them.
Just for fun ??? i balanced an old prop on this unit by adding thick ca. and not moving the cones, got it balanced dead on, then moved the cones and lost the balance a good bit.

I like the theory of this balancer and would like to find out whats wrong.
Thanks for any help, GLENN.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 PM
sfrazee

I have this same exact problem... Drove me crazy so just stopped trying to balance my props.. Anyone ever figure out a solution for it, or know of another balancer that works well?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the same darn problem. I even tried to balance the rod and cone with a bit of plasticine, but it still has the same problem. My guess is that the nature of the prop and gravity pullingdown, it tracks just the smallest amount down from center. Beleive me, I adjusted the gap just as close as I could get it. In principle, I think it's a great idea. As larger props are tried to be balanced, the harder it gets. The Dubro balancer is calling me. Think I'll be putting the Top Flite Power Point prob balance on Ebay. I'm not going to mess around.

Tom
Old 01-19-2006, 12:02 AM
sfrazee

Yep. Its too bad... I took mine out again just now, and you balance a prop and its fine. But turn the little holders things a bit, or take them off ad turn them around, and its totally different. may also have to do with the prop hole being not perfect too.. Who knows, but can't get any consistent results with it.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
sfrazee

I just saw this reply on another site I posted this on (rcgroups.com). Will have to give it a try:

Yes, just the hole on the back side where the sleeves go in is centered on these APC props. When you use the balancer, put the tapered bushing in that side, and use the FLAT side of the other bushing on the front of the prop. This should hold it centered on the shaft for proper balancing.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:30 AM
sfrazee

Tried that too and it didnt help. Tried balancing just the shaft and the holder things. couldnt do it. Just gave up and destroyed it out of frustration. But I saved the magnets :-) Maybe another kind will work better..
Old 01-19-2006, 01:48 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

I think everyone who bought the Top Flight balancer should take Bax up on his offer & contact hobby services. Since it doesn't appear to be just an isolated problem with one or two faulty units, but sounds like everyone has the same problem with it. That way they would at least have the oppertunity to make it right. Figure out if there is a design flaw or something and improve on it. I'm glad I read this post because I was going to buy one. I'll go ahead & spring for the Dubro now! Thanks for the heads up guys.