Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Tower .46 ABC Vs. Super Tigre .51 Ringed??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Tower Hobbies .46 Ball Bearing ABC Engine
14.55%
Super Tigre .51 Ringed Engine
85.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Tower .46 ABC Vs. Super Tigre .51 Ringed??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:07 PM
flyguy60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower .46 ABC Vs. Super Tigre .51 Ringed??

Come on guys lets get real.. Every engine discussed in this thread is made in China.. When you are talking about GMS/TH they are all copies of the old Supertigre engine.. Who cares about who bought the company that manufactures them.

To say that GMS or TH came first is just silly. You are comparing apples to apples here. The real difference is ABC vs. Ringed here in this post, if you want all out power and performance go with ABC. If you want a longer lasting engine that isn't as powerful as ABC go with Ringed. I really depends on the application.

This is a fact that has been around quite a while. It's just personal preference, to me they are all the same caliber with few differences.

There's a reason that they're cheap!!!

I personally like ABC two strokes for speed, and Ringed 4-strokes for longevity. (Saito makes only ringed engines).

c
Old 12-06-2004, 08:39 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, they are copies of the OS SF series. Thundertiger, LEO & OS are made in Taiwan.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
flyguy60

Correction----

The TH engines are made from the "old" supertigre cast, not OS...

Also, O.S. engines are made in Japan and not Taiwan.....

Check your facts before arguing, it may make you look bad. I get my facts from Model Airplane News, from which there were reviews of many engines, including the TH .61 which was explained in detail. If you are interested in further info, please let me know.

c
Old 12-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Woody 51

Hey guys.

TH engines are made by GMS. And just who owns Super Tigre now? GMS!!!!!

I have both a GMS .47 and 2 ST G51's. Which is best? Toss of a coin. The Tigre's took longer to run in and tune but are excellent performers. I suspect that they will have longer lives than the GMS . (One of my Tigre's is 7 years old now and I just replaced the ring and bearings)

The GMS was "on song" from about the 3rd tankful. I am equally happy with it, it is powerful enough to do the job asked. But I have also seen a couple of duds that were replaced under warranty.

Best grunt though in this size, comes from my MVVS .49.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:44 AM
flyguy60

All I know is that TH engines were the first ones available from Tower. The GMS engines came into existance after they (Tower) sold TH engines for years. Now GMS may manufacture them, I don't know for sure. They do look exactly the same.

My argument, however is that they are all based on the old Supertigre cast design (of which there was really nothing wrong with in my opinion). They are made to be cheap (China, where everything is made cheap). Sometimes you get a dud, but it will be replaced under warranty if this is the case. Once you get a good one, you will be happy with it...

Magnum is also made in China.. These are the O.S. copies. I think these are the engines Britbrat was referring to.

They also run very well, and are cheap. I have four Magnum engines.