Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

i'm new, got some questions?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

i'm new, got some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 06:36 PM
AirCommander
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm new, got some questions?

i'm very new to all of the RC hobby. and i 'm looking into purchasing a 4-6 channel radio. someone is selling a Futaba Conquest 6 FM and there's another guy that sell the JR Max 4 AM for a good price. both Transmitters has the receiver included. my question is: what's the difference b/w AM and FM signal radio? which manufacture of 4-6channels radio do you guys recommend for a reasonable price? another question is what actualy CRYSTALs are for do i need them?

thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:11 PM
Crashem

The simple answer between AM and FM is AM send the signal by amplitude modulation (Remember the Reception and interference on AM Radios) and FM uses Frequency modulation. I was always told that FM sets are less prone to interference and therefore are a better choice. The Crystals are I believe used to tune to a specific frequency and are required for the radio to work. I have also been told that on most Radios you cannot switch freqs by changing just the crystals without sending the radio back to the factory.

I'm sure their are many out their who can provide a more scientific explanation

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-27-2002, 07:17 PM
AirCommander

Crashem: thanks for the reply.

anyone else?
Old 08-27-2002, 07:20 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

If you are planning on using the buddy box system to learn to fly, this pretty much rules out the AM radios.

A buddy box is where you connect a slave transmitter box to a master transmiter. The instructor can then give and take control of the plane via a switch.

When buying used equipment be aware of the condition of the batteries. If they are years old there is the potential they are shot. The only real way to check battery health is with a device called a cycler (does a controlled discharge to measure battery capacity)

My first set (Futaba AM) that I did some horse trading for needed new batts. That set me back $44 for TX and RX packs
Old 08-27-2002, 08:52 PM
AirCommander

Originally posted by flatfour
If you are planning on using the buddy box system to learn to fly, this pretty much rules out the AM radios.
i'm looking into putting together a low budget project. i decided to purchase the good condition jr max 4 radio w/ receiver & crystals , since it's less than $30.

thanks for the replies guy.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:45 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Make sure it's narrow band, or the guys at the field won't be letting you use it.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:35 PM
Fastsky

Default Cheap radio

Buying a cheap radio to start out with will probably be a waste of money. You will need a 4 channel radio for a basic trainer airplane and you will need to have a plug in on the radio for connection to a buddy box. Cheaper radios won't have this. Unless you just plan on playing around by yourself in an empty field in the middle of nowhere then spend a few more dollars and get some decent equipment.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:14 PM
AirCommander

Default Re: Cheap radio

fastsky : thanks for the reply. the JR MAX 4 is a 4-channels radio, it's enough to support my needs. as for about training, you're right--i'll find a deserted open space and learn-on-my-own. i think that would be great fun.

thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:54 PM
MikeL

One inexpensive accesory that you'll likely need is a trash bag.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:26 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

^
"
"
"
"

I'll second on that, and NO Aircommander it will be no great fun !

If you do not have any experience at all, your first flight will end in an disaster. Do not buy an AM radio, and go and look for some help at one of your local flying fields/clubs.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:28 PM
AirCommander

Originally posted by MikeL
One inexpensive accesory that you'll likely need is a trash bag.
hopefully i will not have to resort to that. which would be your recommendation for a 4C+ radio for beginner?

btw! is there anyone in here that live in the dallas/fort worth texas area and know of an active rc plane club? i like to check it out.

thanks.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:06 AM
Hanger Rat

Air Commander. If you are completely new and your question sounds like you are these suggestions might help. Before you buy anything at all go to your local hobby shop and ask the owner where the local clubs fly. Then go to the field and look around. Take note of what type of equipment and airplanes other learners are flying. Most fields have instructors , ask anyone there who the instructor is and introduce yourself. BTW instruction is free so don,t worry about it. You will find that most guys flying are only too happy to talk about airplanes and radios and you will learn a lot. After an hour at the field you should have a good idea of what kind of airplane and radio to buy. Try to buy a radio that is suitable for the job. You said you only want a 4 channel radio and you can probably get by with one but a bare bones 4 channel is really not much good with todays airplanes. You need something that has provision for "programming". If you are of average intelligence you will learn to fly and outgrow your simple radio in a few weeks. I would advise you NOT to try to learn on your own you will almost certainly crash in the first few moments then you are stuck with a bag of balsa sticks and maybe a damaged motor plus a radio that you can't sell. Believe me there is only one way to learn to fly and that is with a capable instructor. Also make sure your radio has privision for what we call a buddy cord which allows the instructor to save the plane after you get in trouble. This is only scratching the surface and there are many important things to learn but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to get the hang of it and have fun. You will probably have to join the AMA if you fly at a club field. Hope this helps and good luck.
If you are looking for a club in your area the AMA can help you with this. They are on the net . E them and ask for the address of the nearest club.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:12 AM
mskyhawk

Amen,,,,,,,, Please don't learn to fly on your own. It is way too expensive to only get a 15 second flight on a plane and you will go thru 10 before you figure out what your doing wrong.
Instructor at a club will save you many aircraft and teach you good flying habits that you can someday pass on to someone you teach the hobby to.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I completely agree with Hangar Rat, on everything he says... except for one small point, and that is, I say that a basic 4 channel radio is fine for starting out with (as long as it is buddy cord capable) Other than that, take all he says to heart.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:50 PM
Woody_100

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum, so bare with me if I ask something stupid.
I just bought my first plane, have joined a club etc, but.... my Tx has no buddy lead jack. I didn't think this would be a problem as I thought that I could just stick my crystal in my instructors Tx, along with on efor his master Tx. Is this possible, or have I screwed up? will I be stood there passing my Tx back and forward continually?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:57 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Well, passing the TX back and forth is how they used to do it (with my Futaba Attack 4). If your TX doesn't have it, dont worry. It's a nice feature, but not necessary. If you pulled the crystal out of your TX and put it in your instructor's , he wouldn't have your trim settings, and when he trimmed out your plane on his TX, when you switched your crystals back, you'd have to retrim your personal TX. So best thing to do is to just leave the crystal alone and both you and the instructor use the same TX. Good luck! If I could do it, you can....
Old 08-29-2002, 03:05 PM
CP140

Woody_100,

I think you're going to have to live with the "snatch and grab" method of instruction. Even if the instructor is on the same channel as you, the airplane will not know whose transmitter to listen to (yours or the instructors)... as for putting your crystal (I assume you're talking about TX crystal here) in the instructor's TX...that MAY be possible but is considered a definite no-no as it would entail having the TX retuned.(BTW, there are some Tx's out there that can have their freq. changed by the user..) There are some people who have done the crystal swap thing, but from what I've read you run the risk of decreased range...

Hope this helps
Old 08-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Woody_100

Cheers ppl.
Can't beleive how quick you replied to that, but thanks a lot.
I'm going to be here a LOT from now on, so....

HELLO from me.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:28 PM
tmproff

Welcome to our addiction
Old 08-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Hanger Rat

Woody,
No instructor is going to get into swapping crystals around
You will now learn the old way whereby the instructor stands besides you (with a worried look on his face and wondering how you got through life not knowing left from right)

There is one very important rule with this method and don't ever ever forget it. And that rule?
When the instructor says give it to me or even tries to take the transmitter out of your hands do not hesitate. Give him the tx right away. Seconds count. And also if you feel uneasy at any time don't try to be a hero. Tell the instructor you want him to take over.

If you start this week-end you will be posting a note in two weeks telling us all how easy it was. Good luck
Old 08-29-2002, 03:51 PM
AirCommander

Thanks for the reply,

Hangar, flying can be lil scary...i'll most likely find out about any local club and stop by to check it out. probably that's the best way to learn.

about the radio, what does a basic 4-channel or 6-channel radio functions are capable? would it be better of in the long run if i start out with a 6c?
Old 08-29-2002, 03:54 PM
AirCommander

Originally posted by CP140
Woody_100,

I think you're going to have to live with the "snatch and grab"
hahah i think that's a better than switching the crystals..

welcome Woody...
Old 08-29-2002, 04:04 PM
tmproff

You would be much better off with a 6 channel. Most now a days have some programming ability as well as dual rates and exponential. Another nice feature of programmable controllers is something called mixing.

Dual Rates: The ability to adjust the sensitivity of your plane in flight.

Exponential: A more advanced version of Dual Rates. As you move the stick from center, the more sensitive it becomes.

Mixing: Being able to control 2 servos with one action (example: Rudder and elevator, or Flaps with elevator, or ailerons with rudder)

For a person just getting into the hobby, you might not need these features, but as you build more complex planes, they will become quite nice. The extra channels are nice for gear retracts, smoke systems, dual ailerons and many others.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:19 PM
MikeL

If you're trying not to spend a whole lot of money right off the bat, there is no advantage to buying a 6 channel radio right off the bat. Your trainer can't make use of those 2 extra channels. Features such as dual rates and exponential shouldn't be used while learning.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:40 PM
AirCommander

Originally posted by MikeL
If you're trying not to spend a whole lot of money right off the bat, there is no advantage to buying a 6 channel radio right off the bat. Your trainer can't make use of those 2 extra channels. Features such as dual rates and exponential shouldn't be used while learning.
i was debating about that, but looking for room-to-grow, in the future so i would not have to purchase new radio when i build more advance planes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.