Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Maiden flight help and questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Maiden flight help and questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 04:08 AM
RcKrazy23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden flight help and questions

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is enjoying the new year. I would like to find someone who would be able to instruct me. I have recently finished an old hobbico cessna 182 arf that has been discontinued. I'l be using a Magnum .40 with a 6 channel Jr Radio. It's a beautiful scale looking plane I can't seem to wait to get it in the air. I have been on the G2 simulator for the past month a couple hours a day getting used to the opposite controls when the plane is heading towards me. I'm also at about 90% for landing with winds of 5-10mph crosswind. The reason why I seek someone that would be kind enough to help a rookie pilot is that the local club closest to me hasn't been good with responding to my emails. Besides I'd feel more comfortable working with a couple of guys that are friends and willing to help me newbie out. I live near Gurnee, Il. The field I would like to fly at is Deer Grove off of Dundee and Hicks. Anyone that lives nearby that's willing to help out a 24yr old, male, that's a fast learner, and passionate about the hobby would be much appreciated. I'll provide a meal and a HOT drink...alil something to keep us warm.

Oh, I need some opinions. Would it be safer to take the maiden flight in the spring as opposed to now?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:07 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maiden flight help and questions

Good luck

CCR
Old 01-07-2005, 07:21 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about Emailing local clubs. They're either out flying or down in the basement building new planes. No time to read Emails.

Best thing to do is actually visit the club fields or attend a club meeting in person. You'll get better response that way.

Have you checked the AMA club locator site? you can find clubs within any radius of your home.

http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/Locator.html
Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

is this your first plane??
Old 01-07-2005, 11:51 AM
RcKrazy23

I've already looked into the AMA club locator and of all the clubs closest to me. I find one of the clubs flying out of Deer Grove to be of my greatest interest, but like I said now that I've thought enough about it I'd rather not join a club. For one reason, I'm not looking to attending meetings. I just don't have the time. I'm a college student that enjoys going out and spending time with my friends. After I'm good enough to solo, I'd like to get my friends into the hobby. Anyhow, I still need an instructor.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Montague

You're more likely to find good instructors at a local club, or if you contact instructors on here, they are likely to be members of a local club anyway. That's not to say that there aren't guys in various places who aren't members of clubs, there are. But they aren't always easy to find.

Just because you're a club member doesn't mean you have to go to meetings (at least in most clubs). We have around 200 members. We're lucky to get 20-30 guys at a meeting each month. I've seen as low as a dozen. Most guys in the club just pay their dues and show up at the field to fly and that's about it.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aside from the fact that you don't HAVE to go to the meetings, there are some very good reasons why you should join a club.

Here's one of my favorites, see if you don't agree....

A club has a place to fly, and knows where the other clubs fly. If you just go out and find a nice open field and start flying, you may be within range of a club field that you are not aware of.

Would you like to be responsibe for shooting down someone's $5000 plane?

For that matter, how would you feel if you lost your beautiful trainer because you caught some stray signal from a nearby club field (Or another Maverick flier like yourself)?

Join a club, it just makes good sense.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Minn has nailed it on the head again. Joining a club makes good sense. I live 45 miles from the nearest club and even though I have a place to fly safely in my town ( I am the only one that flies in the county) I still joined the club nearest me. I don't have to attend meetings, but it is nice to have the resources of a club to draw on when needed (knowledge, place to fly, moral support "for those dumb thumb moments"). After getting my AMA I visited a few times and did some minor solo flights. Nothing fancy just showing I could fly on my own. Everyone there was very helpful and it was nice to have other people around with as much enthusiasm for the hobby as myself. They also turned me on to thier local fuel supplier who custom makes it for less than store bought. I attended thier fall fly-in and even though the weather wasn't all that great, we still managed to get some flying in. I even got a chance to share parts with another flyer who had left his wing bolts at home, just so he could fly that day also. [8D]
Old 01-07-2005, 03:50 PM
RcKrazy23

Primodus, I hear what your saying. Me being a 24yr old college student paying for eveything from tuition and everything else I need to survive. It's kind of hard to dish up like $60 out of my extra spending money to join a club. I'm not anti-social, I actually love being around people. I'd rather fly where there's a bunch of other guys flying too. The reason why I seek an individual as oppose to joining a club is that I just want someone to take the maiden flight and get me started in the air as soon as possible. I'm hooked on r/c airplanes and just airplanes in general. I understand knowledge comes from experience so the sooner I get in the air the faster and more I'll learn. Joining a club can come later, I plan on joining anyhow, just when the cash is sufficent. But for the moment I wanna get in the air and start chasing them flocks of geese that'll be coming back from the south. HAR HAR HAR.......I'm just kidding I wouldn't harm them, nor would I want them to harm my beautiful plane.