Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Behold......a completed LT-40 (My first EVER!!)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Behold......a completed LT-40 (My first EVER!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:37 PM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Behold......a completed LT-40 (My first EVER!!)

After an estimated 130 to 150 hours, this thing is DONE!

I am going out to my local club tomorrow AM to pay my dues and get started. Hopefully, someone will test it for me tomorrow. The engine is not broken in yet - I figure someone can help me with that. However, all the throws are accurate, and all seems good to me.

Whatd do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56934.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	212380  
Old 01-08-2005, 07:51 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Behold......a completed LT-40 (My first EVER!!)

Great Job bryris... Looks Great!! Have fun at the club and
hopefully someone there can help with checks and give her a
trim flight.. Only thing I see, is no problem if your runway is
paved, But if it's grass you may need to give your prop a little
more clearence... But it does look good!! Great Job!!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:56 PM
chris_in_montreal
My Feedback: (1)

Hey bryis, glad to read you've completed your first build and it looks great. Sure you'll have a blast when you fly it the first time. Just one quick tip, i see from the pic you have the muffler on your AX orientated so the exit points up and out. I had mine like this till my instructor told me to rotate it 90 degrees so it points down and out. Its easy to do, check the AX manual.

So what you building next??
Old 01-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: PilgrimChimp

Hey bryis, glad to read you've completed your first build and it looks great. Sure you'll have a blast when you fly it the first time. Just one quick tip, i see from the pic you have the muffler on your AX orientated so the exit points up and out. I had mine like this till my instructor told me to rotate it 90 degrees so it points down and out. Its easy to do, check the AX manual.

So what you building next??
PHAT!!! and the above advise may limit the amount of oil spray which covers your Airplane after you start the motor... Which in turn will limit the pain you feel when your 150 hours of work is covered in oil...

Have fun...

Matt
Old 01-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Fastsky

Looks good bryris. I may be off from the pick but the wheels look a tad small. If they are at least 3", then good job! If they are smaller than that you may want to change them out. Wheels smaller than 3" tend to try to push through the grass rather than ride on top of it. Creates losts of drag and makes it hared to take off. If your runway is paved, then they will be just fine.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:30 PM
seanb

nice job! i just finnished my first as well. actually i am kind of sad that its done, i had a lot of fun building it. i guess i will have to start another one!
Old 01-08-2005, 08:37 PM
67ssmike

Great job on your first build,Looks awesome ..good luck on your first flight. keep us posted
Old 01-08-2005, 08:40 PM
bryris

The wheels are the ones that come with the kit. Our runway is paved anyway. Of course, most of the people I have seen, just give it throttle and take off regardless of what direction they are pointed (calm days of course).

Next one is the Sig Something Extra. I am going to purchase it in about a month or so. I need to learn how to fly first. That's what this one is for. If it lasts long enough for me to feel like I am pretty proficient at R/C flying, its done its job.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:51 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Hey bryris, your LT-40 looks great! The covering job turned out really nice. The stocks wheels are fine on grass. They are a bit heavy but they will work fine. You will probably find that the nose gear tends to take a beating in the grass and gets bent back occasionally which leaves the plane sitting in a nose-down position. Don't hesitate to bend it forward as needed. I always lowered my nose wheel as much as possible and found it to help a little to keep the nose at the proper attitude.

I finally got tired of the tricycle gear and converted mine to a tail dragger which makes it handle much better on the ground. Not quite as easy as the stock gear but much more pleasing once you are used to a tail dragger. My suggestion is to do the conversion some time after you have become proficient at landing and taking off on your own. It will also remove a little drag which results in more speed - giving your flying skills a little boost.

Also, don't rush yourself into flying your second plane. The LT-40 will force you to perform proper landings since it is a floater and the better you get with your LT-40, the easier that step to your second plane will be. I learned on an LT-40 and flew it to the point where guys at the field kept telling me I needed to get a new plane. I kept flying the LT-40 because I have kids so my building time was limited and I was perfectly happy flying every moment I could. I ended up winning my clubs fun fly competition roughly a year after starting to fly (flying a Hangar 9 Twist) so I have to give the LT-40 credit for giving my flying skills a great foundation. It is surprising the amount of aerobatics you can get out of this plane. I tried just about everything with mine and it can be forced to most maneuvers. Knife edge and inverted flight aren't very pretty, but if you can do them with this plane, they will seem easy once you move on to a more aerobatic plane.

Good luck with your maiden flight!

FlyerBry
Old 01-09-2005, 06:10 AM
will

If that is the receiver switch on the right side, it needs to be on the other side. That'll keep oil and dirt from messing up the switch.

It doesn't look like there are any graphics on top of the wing. It helps orientation to have a stripe or something on one side.

Great looking model!!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:04 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking plane Bryris! Good job with the covering.

Good comments above about larger wheels, 3" if flying off grass is recommended, but your strip is paved so.... Will is right about the switch. The oil residue in the exhaust can screw up the switch, and it would be best to move it. You should, at the very least, turn the muffler outlet down.
Dennis-
Old 01-09-2005, 09:08 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very Nice job!

Now comes the FUN part!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:31 AM
B. Bishop

Your plane looks great. I too started off with the Lt-40 and have been flying for about 6 months now. For my second plane I chose the sig somethin' extra. I haven't flown it yet but I will in the spring. The LT-40 is a great plane and is very fun and once you get the hang of it easy and enjoyable to fly. I hope you have as much fun as I did.