Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

PLease help

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

PLease help

Old 01-10-2005, 05:23 PM
samp615

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLease help

i found an old Ace Whizard in my garage and began putting it togethier. my controller seems to be a 2 channel controlloer, and came with 2 servos and the transmitter and that bucnh. the problem is that will only 2 servos be good enough, i already have them to the rudder and elevation, how do i control by engine??

obviously i am new and have no idea what i am talking about, so please use simple terms........

thanks
sam
Old 01-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Montague

Default RE: PLease help

I'm not at all familiar with that plane, so I'm guessing here.

However, there have been, and are, planes that run on small engines, usually .049 and smaller, that are not throttled. You have rudder and elevator, and you fly until you run out of gas, and glide in for a landing.

If you've not flown RC before, I wouldn't recommend this as a way to learn, there are many, much easier ways to go these days.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

As a suggestion take the whole setup to some one who can look it over and give you the advice you need.
A two channel setup like you discribe is most likley very old and illegal to use as well as having very old batterys....replacement cost on the batterys will make it more practicle to buy a complete entry level 4 channel, servos and new batterys.....something to think about.
You need personel help at this point, we can discuss it here but in person is beter.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 PM
samp615

what do you mean illegal?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Old radios , about prior to 1990 (don't hold me to the date) have to be worked over to narrow the band to be legal. They will have a Gold sticker on the case if this is done....if no sticker and the radio is prior to the required dates it is not worth doing anything with. New radios are so affordable and failsafe now.
Maybe some one else can give you better answers but hopefully I helped somewhat...
Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

By illegal he means that about 20 years ago the frequencies we are allowed to fly on changed. The ACE Wizard was being manufactured right about then. If your radio is on one of these old frequencies you shouldn't fly with it.

The plane is fine for a trainer but you will probably have to buy a new radio. This is not as bad as it sounds since you can get a state of the art radio very cheaply these days.

Should you decide to pursue it there are a lot of threads here with suggestions on which radio to buy and what the costs are.

Welcome.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:59 PM
tpes

I have flown R/C a long time and what you are working with right now is from about the late 80's and probably not worth trying to fly. The money you will spend to get that bird in the air can be put to much better use. Trash the whole thing, but a park flyer such as a Commander or AeroBird about $120 to $150 respectively. Then you can go out and actually fly and have a good time.
If you feel the need for full function, 4 channel, buy a Super Star Select or and Avastar Select, join the AMA and find a flying field. Should you not be able to find a flying field and still want full function by the Nexstar Select with the AFS System and a flight simulator is included with the package. Your investment in the first two will be about $490 wheels up and about a $100 more for the Nextar. Great hobby, great people.
Have fun!
FYI-I have owned a toy and hobby shop for over 27 years and my advice would be the same if you were in my store with the aircraft you currently have.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:53 PM
ELTIGRE

the ACE Wizard was one of the better flying 1/2A 's kitted. any modern 2-3 ch. radio will fly it fine.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:31 PM
phread59

I agree with Eltigre. The old Ace Wizzard was a great flying plane. If you have the engine and all the rest to complete it go ahead. The Wizzard was a great plane. As for a radio I woud see if I could find a simple 4 channel radio with 3 mini servo's and a smaller battery. I beliegve Futaba, GWS and a few others sell jusat such a kit. It will cost less than trying to make your old set work. You also will have a lot better radio for it. Good luck with it. And do try to find a club and an instructor. If for nothing else the smaller engines used on the Wizzard tend to be finicky. Without experience with them it could drive you nuts trying to get it to run feliably.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-31-2005, 12:25 AM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

One other suggestion, don't toss out the old radio system, it could be worth a few bucks to a collector depending on the type and age. Check out E-Bay you may be surprised.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:44 AM
keepiru1

ORIGINAL: samp615

i found an old Ace Whizard in my garage and began putting it togethier. my controller seems to be a 2 channel controlloer, and came with 2 servos and the transmitter and that bucnh. the problem is that will only 2 servos be good enough, i already have them to the rudder and elevation, how do i control by engine??

obviously i am new and have no idea what i am talking about, so please use simple terms........

thanks
sam
Ok Sam
Since these others won't do it....I'll just answer your questions.....yes two servos will be good enough as the .049 Cox motor most likely to be on the front of most of the Whizzards wasn't throttled. Who is the manufacturer of the radio if I might ask?

Rich
P.S. That's elevator not elevation. *G*

Gizmo.......AMA narrow banding went into effect April of 1991
Old 01-31-2005, 02:28 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I had the ACE ALPHA, similar to the Wizard. They are good planes. That was 1979 or 1980