Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

engine recommendation..?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

engine recommendation..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 06:29 PM
AirCommander
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine recommendation..?

i'm looking into building a starter plane from scratch with wing span about 46"... i was thinking about putting in a .40 glow engine for it, but not sure if that would be sufficient to power the plane. who make more reliable engine that you'd recommend?
Old 09-01-2002, 08:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A .40 size should be more than enough to pull a trainer with that size wing. I would recommend the OS .46 FX. Outstanding motor with plenty of power. Costs a little bit more than some 40 size motors, but you can always keep it and use it for a second plane.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:32 PM
AirCommander

how are GMS engines?
Old 09-01-2002, 09:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

To be honest with you, I don't know that brand of engines. I once had a Tower Hobbies brand motor and I learned from that to stick with brands that I know and trust. all of my motors are either OS or YS. I know they are a little bit more, but IMHO they are well worth the extra $$$.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:49 PM
flianbrian

My limited experience tells me that a .40 on a 46" span "starter" plane may be more than needed. I bet a .25 would be good for that size ( I like my Magnum 28 for that size range).

What do you mean by a "starter plane"? A trainer? Many .40-size trainers have about a 60" span.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:59 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

OS46FX It will pull it well and will be ready for your next project. Go for it!
Old 09-02-2002, 01:42 AM
AirCommander

Originally posted by flianbrian
( I like my Magnum 28 for that size range).
how is your magnum engine? have any trouble w/ it?
Old 09-02-2002, 01:44 AM
AirCommander

Originally posted by cbaltz
OS46FX It will pull it well and will be ready for your next project. Go for it!
what's the difference between the "OS Max FP .40" and "OS FX .40"?
Old 09-02-2002, 01:57 AM
KCFlyBoy

FP is a brass bushing The FX is a ball bearing engine and allot more power not just because it has more cubic inches.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:04 AM
AirCommander

Originally posted by cbaltz
FP is a brass bushing The FX is a ball bearing engine and allot more power not just because it has more cubic inches.

can a OS 46 FX made for helicopter be use for airplanes?
Old 09-02-2002, 02:19 AM
KCFlyBoy

Oh yah!! The larger head will actualy cool it faster on a plane. Don't be afraid go for it!
Old 09-02-2002, 02:40 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

We have a guy with TT46 heli engine on a Gee Whiz Bee and it is a great combo...............John
Old 09-02-2002, 03:43 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Some explaination is required here.

A heli engine will not come with a muffler. They're designed to be run with one, but most helis have their own or people purchase aftermarket mufflers. You'll have to buy a muffler for it.

The term escapes me at the moment, but there isn't a prop adaptor on the shaft of heli engines like there is on airplane engines. You'll have to purchase one of those as well. On a heli the fan/clutch assembly that is specific to the type of helicopter goes there, which is why they aren't included.

I'm sorry to those who are encouraging you to get a .46 or a hot .40, but they're way off the mark. That's too much engine for that wingspan on a trainer. "Oh but you can always throttle back." Think about wing loading. A .32 or less weighs quite a bit less than a .40, and will serve the purpose much better.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:51 AM
AirCommander

thanks guys.

i've not built the plane yet. i can always scale up a little bit for a larger wing span, maybe 60" will be suitable for the .40+.

as for the os fx 46 heli engine , i jux ran across it on a classified
at a reasonable price. i'll probably just get the engine that were made for planes to limit all the hassles.

how much more reliable are glow fuel over deisel fuel..?

thanks.

Originally posted by MikeL
Some explaination is required here.

A heli engine will not come with a muffler. They're designed to be run with one, but most helis have their own or people purchase aftermarket mufflers. You'll have to buy a muffler for it.

The term escapes me at the moment, but there isn't a prop adaptor on the shaft of heli engines like there is on airplane engines. You'll have to purchase one of those as well. On a heli the fan/clutch assembly that is specific to the type of helicopter goes there, which is why they aren't included.

I'm sorry to those who are encouraging you to get a .46 or a hot .40, but they're way off the mark. That's too much engine for that wingspan on a trainer. "Oh but you can always throttle back." Think about wing loading. A .32 or less weighs quite a bit less than a .40, and will serve the purpose much better.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:02 AM
mgmoore7
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by MikeL
I'm sorry to those who are encouraging you to get a .46 or a hot .40, but they're way off the mark. That's too much engine for that wingspan on a trainer. "Oh but you can always throttle back." Think about wing loading. A .32 or less weighs quite a bit less than a .40, and will serve the purpose much better. [/B]
I agree with MikeL. You need to get plans for a .40 - .46 plan if you are going to buy that size engine. Otherwise, a .25 - 30 will be about right for your wingspan. A .40 or .46 will be too much weight and too much power for that size plane.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:38 PM
John B

I got a carl goldberg eaglet to train the kids with. its a 50" w/s trainer that is overpowered with a os 28. A 46 is way too much for that small of a trainer. Like mgmoore said wing loading would be to high for it to be fun for a beginner. the eaglet is a small bird, and you are thinking of one smaller yet, BTW the eaglet is designed for a .10 - 15 size motor. The only problem i have with the small trainer is it is hard for the kids to stay oriented on if it gets very far out. A larger trainer (LT .40 size) is alot better option IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24090_163.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	15007  
Old 09-02-2002, 02:47 PM
f2racer

Originally posted by mgmoore7

I agree with MikeL. You need to get plans for a .40 - .46 plan if you are going to buy that size engine. Otherwise, a .25 - 30 will be about right for your wingspan. A .40 or .46 will be too much weight and too much power for that size plane.
Actually it depends on the wing chord. My Uproar only has a wing that's only 2" bigger, but due to the fact that it's got large chord, it's got more than enough area to provide adequate lift for a 46 engine and 5 standard servos. In fact with a 46 on it, I can still fly it slower than the vast majority of trainers. But I'm a light is right kinda guy and now a TT Pro-36 powers this fun-fly. It's 4-6 oz lighter than most 46 and about as powerful as a good BB 40. My favorite engine.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:43 PM
AirCommander

the plane that i'm CAD'ing look similar to the one you attached.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:47 PM
AirCommander

i've been reading some about deisel engines, the have more torque/power over glow engines. i'm questioning about how their startup and fuel management differ from the typical glow engine?
Old 09-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Fastsky

Default Starting out...

If you are serious about getting into this hobby then I would suggest going with proven engines, a large stable trainer type planes such as a Sig LT40 and a basic 4 or 6 channel radio like a Futaba Skysport. A Sig LT40 will give you lots of building experience with good building instructions and premade parts. It will also probably be more of a challenge than you thought, show you how a good good design goes together,and will be good practice to see if you want to try a scratch built model later. Without pevious experience you will probably end up building an uncontrollable airplane which can be very dangerous. A good engine like a Thunder Tiger 46 or 46 PRo will pull it along just fine and is very reliable. A wing with a small wingspan will be harder to see at a distance and will be easier to flip over in a wind and won't be as stable if a wind comes up. Diesel motors aren't common and are probably best left to experiment with after you have completed your wings training. Also do you really want to be smelling diesel fumes in your vehicle on the way to the field?
Old 09-04-2002, 02:23 AM
Dazzler 2

We have a guy at our field that fly's alot of smaller planes like 1/2 A's and he runs diesel motors in most of them... They are real good on fuel and run alot longer. But, it takes alot of cranking on them to get them started... Being new to this hobby I would'nt recommend it because of the hassle and knowledge of how to set it up and you want to fly, not waiting on a motor to heat up to start. Get a 40 size trainer and a reliable OS 40 and a good Radio, I prefer JR but everyone has their favorite. I would recommend an LT-40, Easy Sport 40, etc.... If you really want something for that small plane you could even run an .15 motor... It's up to you....... Good luck.....!!!!! Just have fun....
Old 09-04-2002, 02:49 AM
AirCommander

thanks guys...

as with many recommended the lt-40, i might ended up getting that kit for training...with a 46 engine sounds good overall.