Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trainer Suggestions Needed

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trainer Suggestions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Prawnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trainer Suggestions Needed

My Dad is a professional pilot. When I was a kid first learning to fly, no driver's license yet, Dad would take me to the flying field.

After hearing one of the r/c pilots tell him that he wouldn't be able to handle an r/c plane, this is much more difficult than flying learjets, etc., he just said "gimme the goddamn radio, kid" and flew the airplane a round a bit, then brought the airplane in for a perfect crosswind landing.

He never did think much of grown men fooling with toy airplanes, oh well.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:23 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a full scale pilot with lots of hrs on fighters. Flying RC models is more difficult -- period!! It is however, one heluva lot safer.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Prawnik

I imagine it is more difficult. I don't think Dad ever found either to be very difficult. Unfortunately, I failed to inherit many of his abilities, among them the ability to fly a low-wing sport r/c airplane flawlessly on the first try.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:02 AM
bruce88123

Prawnik-
Just keep at it, you'll get there and have the satisfaction of having learned a new skill. Some things are not as much fun if they come naturally.

Bruce
Old 01-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Prawnik

Oh, I know, I flew sailplanes as a kid, I didn't have the $$ for glow. After years of filling the house up with display-only balsa models I recently decided to get another sailplane and learn all over again.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:05 PM
former spad

About all the recommendations to start off with a 60 size engine. That's what I did and now can find relatively few advanced planes that have 60 as recommended largest size engine. They are around, but most are 40 - 50, and then 60 - 90. Check the catalogs.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:45 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best training airplane - Sig LT 40. After 35 years of flying everything with wings called a trainer, it is the best.

But just because you can take-off, herd the airplane around, and return to the runway with an airplane that can be flown again does not mean you have learned very much about flying. Using the rudder and throttle is also important, yet if you walk down the line of the average RC field, most pilots won't even be holding the left stick while in flight. Very sad statement about their flying ability. A slight cross-wind on take-off or landing and they aren't controlling the airplane, they are just an observer without control. As in full size, technique and practice makes the difference.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:56 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

HighPlains. I was talking to a trainer and he also told me if someone thats training you doesent tell you that its very important to use the left stick, cause thats what seperates you from everyone else, then drop him and find another trainer.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Have Planes Will Travel

I think the Goldberg SR Falcon would be a great choice.

1. New ARF kit coming out soon
2. Very forgiving
3. Will perform well with a 45 size engine
4. Will handle up to a 61 size, depending on you skill level progression

I have used this trainer to train many r/c pilots, before there was a Buddy box. This air craft will do it all. I still have one that I built
in 1972, and it is still flying. Taught my son to fly when he was 8 years in 1991, with this same SR Falcon. Very tough.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:10 AM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: NJAIRSTRIKE
HighPlains. I was talking to a trainer and he also told me if someone thats training you doesent tell you that its very important to use the left stick, cause thats what seperates you from everyone else, then drop him and find another trainer.
I disagree with that statement...

While using the rudder will make a better pilot, a plane with elev/ail can be easily flown with little to no rudder input, and for a beginner starting out, flying with just elev/ail is much simpler. I would not drop an instructor just because he doesn't force you use your rudder when you're first starting out. If you really want to learn that way from the start, then just ask the instructor to show you. Two of my three planes don't even have rudders... they are ail/elev only...
Old 01-31-2005, 10:31 AM
bruce88123

I was making a low pass down the runway back in the 80's with a KAOS and somehow managed to thump it into the runway with minor damage. Lost the entire vertical stab, prop and glow plug ground down. I turned it over, replace the prop and plug and flew it. Could scarcely tell the difference. Not recommended policy but shows what can sometimes happen.

Bruce
Old 01-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Have Planes Will Travel

Gee, when I was being taught to fly, we didn't have but one stick, or should I say one button. Once for left, then once for right, and if you wanted the same direction again, we would double click the button. Yet this was in 1962. All kidding aside, the ruder and throttle are very important. Learning to use the rudder in order to make corrections during take off and landings, as well as correcting for cross winds, will come after the basics of R/C flying have been mastered. As a full scale piolot, you already know how to use the rudder. There is no substitute for stick time. Get all the stick time you can, no matter who the instructor is. The main thing is to get comfortable in the air. I have had the joy of teaching many kids and adults how to fly R/C, and until they are ready to depend on the rudder, I tell them that the rudder is only used for corrections on the Ground. Good Luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:32 AM
bruce88123

I have flown many different full scale a/c and especially with the tail draggers I agree the rudder is paramount to success. It is just LESS important in our models under some conditions. I also agree the agree the rudder can be added as the other controls get mastered. Again, go fly it will all come to you as you progress through the hobby, it is a constant and permanent learning experience.

Bruce

I was not fortunate enough to fly back in the days of escapements. It must have been a true adventure with every flight
Old 01-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Have Planes Will Travel

Yes, I can assure you, we had fun with these single channel, rubber band powered, escapements. I still remember my dad counting the turns on the home made crank used to wind the rubber band to power the escapements. 100 turns would be enough for one small tank of fuel. I still have the Radio, which my dad build, the escapement, and the NoMad glider I was trained on. I was 8ys old. When my dad bought his first reed multi-channel radio, we were in hog heaven. Installed this in a Smog Hog and was the terror of the skies. Flew reeds until he could afford his first proportional system. Orbit, 4 channel system. This was the radio of the day, along with F&M and Heath Kits. As I Remember, the Heath Kits did not perform very well. I still have the Orbit transmitter, yet the airborn pak was lost with the plane. The Orbit was installed in a Tarus. During a fly-in at our home field in Aiken, my dad was showing off doing loops. This was ok, until the 5th loop, when a water tower got in his way. As you know, balsa wood, silkspan and dope, do not stand a chance against a steel water tower. We never found the engine. We can only assume that the brand new Veco 45 was stuck in the tower. Lots of memories of the old days, and the fun my family had with R/C.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:02 PM
bruce88123

My first radio was a Hobby Lobby 6 Ch (actually an EK relabled), then a Kraft KP7C. got Futaba 7UAFS now and love it. Wish they still made them.

Bruce
Old 02-01-2005, 11:19 PM
bldrums

I used and abused the Hobbico Superstar when I ( came back ) and restarted the hobby. I was under the impression that being a trainer , I was limited to touch and go's , I would need a " better" airplane if I wanted to start doing some of that "cool" stuff the other guys did. One of my club mates took the Superstar up, looped , inverted , and basically gave me a new outlook on flying. I soon learned to loop , invert and really enjoy the plane more. That plane will take care of you while you get the feel.

good luck
Bill
Old 02-03-2005, 10:17 AM
bbellfly

Pecos45,
I also am a newbe to RC. I have just gone through lots of research and decided on the Alpha 60 ARF. This allow me to buy my choice on radio and engine. Of course not knowing anything about RCing, I took my soon to be instructors opinion of the choices. I purchased the ARF for 149.00, then a Futaba 7C (gives me plenty of room to expand) and an OS .61FX.
Have just about got it ready to fly. I will include a link for you to check out.

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=38

For what it's worth from someone in the inexperienced column.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
bruce88123

bbellfish-
These are good choices, you should have a fine flying plane. There are more options for the 40 size motor later on but you you can always buy one and another flight pack to use with your 7C transmitter in another memory position. This will give you two flyable planes, always a nice condition to be in. I;m in the position where I am going to have to buy a new transmitter soon as I am running out of memory positions. I love it!

Welcome to the insanity.

Bruce