Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Has your wife or g/f gotten mad about r/c?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Has your wife or g/f gotten mad about r/c?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:17 PM
ScienceisCool
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has your wife or g/f gotten mad about r/c?

I've been working on my avistar all weekend non-stop (see my other post) and my girlfriend (almost wife) is pretty mad that she has been almost totally ignored. has anyone else had this reaction?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:45 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Has your wife or g/f gotten mad about r/c?

ScienceisCool

Read this thread, lots of good info and laughs

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/In_t...2357168/tm.htm

In all seriouness, my wife helps me to build them, takes the notes for me when I do my trim flights and is right this second reading the judging guidleines for IMAC, she has offered to be my caller this year.

She has her own hobby which is quilt making and she loves doing it as much as I love flying my planes, the only real difference is I cannot sew but I help here stretch the quilt on the sewing table, cut out the swatches, and I have built her a nice custom sewing box and we do the movie thing about every 2 weeks, dinner out about once or twice a month and the cuddle thing just about every evening.

She does like to come to the fields with me. She has made a few good friends with some of the other pilots and their wives although she has no interest in learning to fly she just mingles around if I am just flying for the fun of it

I am lucky, it took me a little while to get her to come to the field but once I did she saw how relaxing it was for me as I do work a high stress job and this keeps me from sitting in a corner and sucking on my thumb. I never have to explain my purchases and between her selling the quilts she makes and my working part time in the LHS we both have our own "mad money" that we usually pool together and go have fun either together or on our own.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:55 PM
echobot

ORIGINAL: ScienceisCool

I've been working on my avistar all weekend non-stop (see my other post) and my girlfriend (almost wife) is pretty mad that she has been almost totally ignored. has anyone else had this reaction?
Yes, and now she is my ex-wife.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:58 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Haha! Welcome to the club! I get grief for just taking one full day (4-6hrs) a week out to fly, and maybe a few hours a week to work on my planes & heli!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, kill her now before it's too late.

Disclaimer: This is a joke, it is ONLY a joke. Had this not been a joke, I would have been sent to jail on numerous occasions.

I do not condone spousal abuse (I UNDERSTAND it, I just don't condone it)
Old 01-30-2005, 09:01 PM
bryris

Well, when I was doing a "Hail Mary" to finish my LT-40 kit before school started back, I got the same thing. But she was sweet about it and understands my cravings. When I finished, we spent some QT together.

[SERIOUS]

Not to be mushy, but you gotta think in terms of what it most important to you. If you were on your death bed looking back, what would be the thing you'd be most grateful for? For me, my fiance' comes WAAAAAY before the airplanes do. I love airplanes, but they don't love me back.

Its important to have the right balance. However, if you are trying to get done quickly, as in my exmaple above, then she needs to understand. As long as its not a permanent thing.

[/SERIOUS]

I know I will be poked at for being the only serious poster on this thread....but I can take it. We're all friends here.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Have Planes Will Travel

It will Pass, as said before. I can remember when I first started flying on the Pattern circuit. My wife would put me in the dog house a whole week before I left on Friday afternoon. So I tried several things to stay out of the dog house, from carrying her out to dinner, buying furniture, and visiting with my inlaws. None of these worked and I still was given the COLD shoulder the entire week before the contest. Finnally I gave up. To keep peace in the family, I would not tell her I was leaving untill she came home from work on Friday and saw the note. This way I only stayed in the dog house the week I came back.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bryris, just a guess... This is your first marriage, isn't it? (Snicker)
Old 01-30-2005, 09:22 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Hey Minn, love that laughing smiley
Old 01-30-2005, 09:37 PM
bryris

bryris, just a guess... This is your first marriage, isn't it? (Snicker)
Here it comes.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:45 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Most women just hate planes because they aren't her. Pure and simple. Some women hate to see men have fun without them.

I thought about taking my wife out to the field and letting her buzz around in a trainer, but that would mean she was at the field. I got over that idea.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Swager

YES! And that is all I have to say about that!!

Old 01-30-2005, 11:34 PM
CitatioN10

My wife said its for children
Old 01-30-2005, 11:50 PM
RichD

I have heard of several A.I.D.S. related incidences lately. Most A.I.D.S. cases happen during the summer though. If its this bad for only ONE weekend, during the winter, watch out for A.I.D.S. too, it can creep up on you

Aircraft Induced Divorce Syndrome

another edit because I am a bad speeler
Old 01-31-2005, 12:31 AM
rclement

Women want to do everything you do untill you get married then they hate doing what you do. Just my experience...........
Old 01-31-2005, 12:45 AM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

My wife is also very angry about me crazy in R/C.
I just want to fly 3 hours per WEEK, but she won't let me do it.
So, I couldn't fly for a long time.
After careful thinking, my wife is not mad about R/C but whatever I do
that keeps me away from her(except work because of money).
She just want to keep me next to her, like a pet.
I'm going crazy...
Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 AM
Daryl_y

Actually my wife is pretty supportive and is usually willing to be an extra set of hands if I need it and yes Minnflyer this is my first marriage. She has even covered a set of tail feathers and some other smaller pieces of one of my planes Sure she has complained once or twice about the time/money I have spent in this hobby but thats when you remind her that you could always spend the same amount of time and money at some bar or even better the local gentleman's club I also try to be supportive and helpful of her interest. As long as you still set aside time for each other I don't think they or wives and g/f 's have much reason to complain. I forget who siad this about marriage but the quote goes "True happiness in marriage lies in separate bank accounts"
Old 01-31-2005, 02:19 AM
jrotor

I also try to be supportive and helpful of her interest. As long as you still set aside time for each other I don't think they or wives and g/f 's have much reason to complain.
I know !! But they still complain !!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:02 AM
GrnBrt

Well guys I'll tell ya, my wife is far more important to me then some plane and that's the truth. I am retired early and she still works and she would come home and we would have dinner, watch the news and I would be down in the shop till she went to bed. Well this wasn't fair to her to be left alone all evening especially since I have all day to work on a plane so I told her that the evenings and week ends are hers as I fly during the week also and you know things got much better. Now she gets ticked if I don't go to the shop and this weekend is the NW expo and she all but made it clear that I will be going and I will take some money with me. She has to be the greatest lady around and she takes an interest in my madness and even gets somewhat involved in picking colors for me and even planes and has bought me a Phantom and Stuka kit. I'm doing an ultimate right now and she let me go hog wild on it with the engine and radio gear, nope as far as I am concerned she is by far more important.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:22 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I am really fortunate. My wife says to me sometimes. Wow, its a nice afternoon, why dont you go flying? Sometimes she and the kids come with me. She keeps the kids at a safe distance and they watch me fly. My 2 year old boy loves the planes and I cant wait till he is old enough to fly.

The only time she gets mad is when I am trying to get a plane ready for a specefic weekend and I spend a few days of nothing but working on the plane. The only other time she gets mad is when I spend too much time here on RCU. But in fairness she is probably right.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:44 AM
keepiru1

My G/f gets upset about it when she feels I haven't fawned over her enough. Most of the time she thinks I'm shoving it down her throat but then she figured it out that I'd do it with or without her. Itry to keep my flying to a minimum and, after a family meeting on the topic, the g/f and son are cool with it again. *G*
Old 01-31-2005, 07:46 AM
knightmagic

My wife understands my obsession although there was a couple of times she got mad it was only because I had everything on bed in the spare room which is her domain, got a lot better after I made space in my room.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:47 AM
N4sir

As long as I don't have fun or spend any money, she's OK with it.

Uh oh! I'm in the wrong hobby.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My girlfriend started asking questions about all my planes and the money I spend on them. It was a new enough relationship that I didn't think she needed to know how much I have in them, so I was vauge. She kept asking questions and finally seemed content. When I decided I couldn't deal with her BS any more, I told her it was over. (for more reasons that just the planes). She said she didn't want that, she was just concered that I spend too much on toys. Well, being the nice guy, I couldn't just tell her to dissapear, so I bought a new motorcycle. hahahahahahahahaha She ran like there was no tomorrow! Best trade I ever made!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:45 PM
LuckyArmpit

RC flying is my main hobby, I also been playing golf since I was 8 and I go to dirt track races every sat. nite. Wife doesn't usually complain all that much. When she does, I remind her of all the show horses she has.
Heres a good one....theres a guy over in the Ezone I think that is selling all his planes and equipment 'cause he's gettin married.
Someone needs to give him a quick smack upside his noggin for listening to the future wife. Either he's whipped good or thinkin with the wrong head.

Dave...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.