Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Alpha 60 and beginner pilot success story!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Alpha 60 and beginner pilot success story!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:20 AM
WhtBronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 60 and beginner pilot success story!

I am pleased to announce that a buddy of mine I have been teaching to fly on an Alpha 60 more or less solo’d on flight # 4. While I was on the trainer box, I simply held the switch from take off all the way to landing, he did it all including loops, rolls, inverted flight and split S’s. Hands down this has to be attributed to the G2 simulator and his attention to detail on control inputs. He is very smooth and does not over react or over correct.

He landed on flight # 3 and flew take off to landing on flights # 4 and 5. Landing and taking off at our field can be quite exciting since it is so rough. Small holes from dear and other animals walking on it and being an old landfill it swells and contracts kinda wierd and causes up to 12” bumps all over the place.

This plane flies great. It’s very stable, easy to see and floats great when you really need it to, like deadstick.

My only concern is the adjustment stops on the needles. The low end stops need to be removed on his so we can lean the bottom end a bit more in order to get a good transition from idle.

We also found the plane flies better and acellerates faster with a 12x6 2 blade prop than the included 3 blade prop.

Keep up the good work Randy and you’ll be on your own soon.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:36 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Alpha 60 and beginner pilot success story!

The three blade prop included is there to help slow the plane down for landings, and to keep airspeed to a minimum during learning. With a two blade prop, you will get much more thrust, you are correct. The need stops can be removed, or moved to allow you to adjust your needles beyond the current limits. Easy to do--there is a set screw on it, loosen it, and then move it to allow your needle to move more in the desired direction, and re-tighten.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:05 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2SLOW is right on both counts
Old 02-14-2005, 11:46 AM
WhtBronco

Yeap you're right, but I found it easier to bend the low speed needle stops out of the way all together. Won't have to bother with the set screw again in the future that way.

You are right about the 3 blade prop as well, but there was not a noticable increase in top speed with the 2 blade besides that's we have adjustable throttle for. It got off the ground much faster. Well about 50' roll out rather 100+ with the 3 blade. 100+ feet on out runway is not acceptible it's so rough. My planes all must have 10” or less roll out to vertical or I put in a bigger engine. If they won’t rotate around the tail wheel and go vertical there is not enough power, IMO. On the trainer I know it’s not designed that way, but still it must get off the ground in a reasonable distance or it may ground loop. It is impossible to keep a plane straight on our runway while taking off. I have seen many trainers turned nearly 90 degrees trying to take off from catching a bump or small hole. 2-3 hop landings are considered very good at our field as well. I just do harrier landings every time, or elevators to have smooth landings since I got tired of bent gear.