Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

futaba 7cap

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

futaba 7cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:32 PM
mrbass111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 7cap

is this a good radio? i was thinkin of getting a new one and 7 channels seems like all id ever need in a radio. what would be a good price for one of these by themselves. with no servos or extras?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:05 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: futaba 7cap

They seem like pretty nice radios... the only thing I don't like about them is that they don't have freq modules, just crystals. This means to change the freq, you must purchase a new crystal, and then send the radio in for retuning. Many people swap crystals w/o retuning and don't have a problem, but this is against the AMA and FCC rules/regulations.

You might want to look at the Hitec Optic 6... it's cheaper and has freq modules, and you can get a synth module for it which will tune any channel in the 72MHz band.

http://www.servocity.com has pretty good prices on both radios...
Old 02-22-2005, 01:17 PM
mrbass111

thanks that helps alot cuz the radio i was looking at said no module and i didnt even know what that meant. i like that optic 6 with the module that will tune to any channell for only 180 bucks. i bought a futaba flight pak, do you know if the hitec radio will work with the futaba receiver and servos?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:28 PM
-pkh-

Futaba and Hitec "FM" or "PPM" Receivers and Transmitters are compatible, they are both "negative shift". I don't believe that Hitec's "PCM" is compatible with Futaba's "PCM", though. So if you just have a "PPM" or "FM" receiver in your Futaba flight pack, your set.

BTW, I have a Futaba 9C, and I was looking at the 7C and the Optic 6 for a second radio, and I'm leaning towards the Optic 6 right now...
Old 02-22-2005, 01:38 PM
mrbass111

im 90% sure this is what i have. but it does not say weather is pcm or ppm. as if i even knew what that means. but i know the hi tec is pcm. but to new at this to know if this stuff would work on the optic 6 radio
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXJ56&P=RF
Old 02-22-2005, 01:50 PM
-pkh-

Yep, that flight pack comes with an R127DF receiver, which is FM/PPM, so you're set. Here's the Tower page with the specs on that RX...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAKM0&P=ML
Old 02-22-2005, 02:04 PM
mrbass111

ya fm ppm, but isnt the hitec 6 a pcm radio. so will the pcm work with the ppm reciever??
Old 02-22-2005, 02:27 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mrbass111

ya fm ppm, but isnt the hitec 6 a pcm radio. so will the pcm work with the ppm reciever??
yes. I have an Eclipse 7 PCM and I've never even used it with a PCM receiver.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:54 PM
-pkh-

The Optic 6 does both PPM and PCM mode transmission... same with the Futaba 9C and 7C radios. In PPM mode they are all compatible, in PCM mode, you have to stick with the same brand for compatibility... Futaba and Hitec have their own versions of PCM.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:47 PM
bryris

Well, for what its worth, w/o getting into the technical jargon. I love my 7CAP. I have it mixed and all set up and it works well. I'll probably use it till it goes belly up.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:58 PM
bruce88123

How often do you really NEED to change frequencies. I have my transmitter on one freq and put ALL of my flight packs on that freq. NEVER had a problem. Have occasionally had to wait 10 minutes to fly. OH DEAR, the strain on my nerves. My 7UAFS does use modules but I never bothered to buy a second one, don't need it. Take your choice, your money. Hard to go too far wrong as almost all of todays computer radios are good.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:37 PM
ecmiller

The only time you need to send the radio in to have it tuned is when you change a frequency in the low band to a frequency in the high band and visa-versa.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:47 PM
-pkh-

The point is, with a TX module, you can change freqs on the fly, with by just swapping out RX xtals and TX modules (or by changing channels on a TX synth module). With the 7C, you just can't... you're stuck with the freq it's tuned to, and changing that freq will take at least a week of down time to send it in to be retuned. I have all of my planes and heli on one freq as well, but I have a second TX module and RX xtal, and I've had to swap them out on a couple of occasions when we've had guest fliers show up at our club on my freq. If I show up to the field and have only two hours to fly, I'm not spending half of that time waiting for some other guy to fly his planes...
Old 02-22-2005, 06:57 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: ecmiller
The only time you need to send the radio in to have it tuned is when you change a frequency in the low band to a frequency in the high band and visa-versa.
That's true only for a receiver, not the transmitter...

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/service-faq.html#q2
Old 02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Pilot Chad

I thought about it, And it would be cheaper to get a new radio for every plane. So i think i am gonna do that. Anyone see a problem with it?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

It would be expensive to buy a new radio for every plane. Plus you would have to keep track of all the radios and carry them to the field. I can see having 2 radios and maybe even on different frequencies. But a radio for every plane is alot.

I love my 7CAP. For the money you cant beat it. If you buy it with the PCM rx and digital servos you get a heck of a deal on a pretty fancy setup.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: newbtoRC
I thought about it, And it would be cheaper to get a new radio for every plane. So i think i am gonna do that. Anyone see a problem with it?
You must be talking about cheap, used, 4ch analog radios or something... if you buy just two or three new 4ch TXs you're up to the cost of a 6ch computer radio...

Once you try a good computer radio with multiple model memories, dual rates, EPA, expo, and every kind of mixing you can think of, you'll never go back to a cheap analog radio again... much easier to set up a plane and dial it in so it's just right
Old 02-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Pilot Chad

oh ok pkh, but flight packs are the price of a 4 channel
Old 02-22-2005, 11:24 PM
dkf1979

I have the 7cap and would recommend it. Easy to program. And it has tons of different settings. Heck, one day I might even get a heli and I'll be able to use my TX for that to. I love my TX. But then again, the only other TX i've used is my futaba skysport.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:33 AM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: newbtoRC

oh ok pkh, but flight packs are the price of a 4 channel
I'll give you that... you can often find a deal on a whole radio system with a cheap 4ch TX for just a few bucks more than the flight pack prices. I think you'll outgrow those cheap TXs pretty fast though, soon you'll want more channels, dual rates, mixing, and maybe even some expo for your second and subesequent planes...
Old 02-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I have found really good deals on 4 channel radios and bought them just for the flight pack. It actually came out a little cheaper with a rebate than if I had bought the flight pack. With the radio I also got another wall wart, tx battery, and tx and rx crystals, etc. So it was a good deal.

However, know that I am getting to larger planes, the standard servos that come with flight packs and radios arent enough.

Thats one reason I like the 7CAP so much, it comes with a PCM receiver and digital servos. You get better quality equipment.

Like pkh said, once you get a programable radio, its hard to go back to your basic 4 channel.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:03 AM
bruce88123

I agree that you will outgrow the 4 channel transmitter quickly. And IF you get a plane that you want to do flaps, flaperons or other mixing you will also need mor channels on both ends.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:27 PM
mrbass111

well i had to do it. i ordered the hitec optic 6 today. with the spectra module. this radio should last me many years. and i like the idea of being able to change channels whenever i want too. cool. buying it at tower with the $30 discount only cost 150 bucks. (ya i know i also bought an engine too.)
Old 02-23-2005, 02:00 PM
bruce88123

That will be a good radio for you and should last for many years.