Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

almost a disaster

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

almost a disaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:47 PM
mrbass111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default almost a disaster

went flying this am and met my trainer out at the field. gave me a lesson on tuning an engine and after i got it in the air i wanted to show him some manuevers. he gave me some pointers on inverted flight. wich i executed a few time so-so good. took plane up again went inverted, nose sank and i pulled back on the elevator-----ooopss, houston we have a problem. so instinctivly i try to push up on the elevator but i think it was just plummeting to earth to fast. (trainer planes not to agile) fortunatly i was able to roll it and pull it out about ten feet off the ground. this will get your heart pumping. so other beginers dont make my mistake and get to cocky to fast. next time i meet my trainer i figure to go on the buddy box before i start trying to many complex stunts.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:13 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: almost a disaster

I did sort of the same thing a few weeks ago. It was a very windy day and I was trying to fly my Kadet. Flew inverted across the field and decided it was time to pull out. Let's see, I have two ways to get back to upright flight: roll out or half inside loop. I picked the wrong one. Guess I was a little bit too low and the wind had some effect. By the time I pulled out of the loop I was literally about 18 inches off the ground. I decided that at that point it was time to pack it up with my plane still in one piece. The guys watching just laughed and made a few snide comments, but none of them even put their planes in the air that day.

-Scott
Old 02-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Fastsky

I would have congratulated you on a fine save!!! I also appreciate the fact that you know when its time to quit flying for the day!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:50 PM
jagnweiner

Don't get me wrong, they were good natured snide comments. Just the verbal sparring that makes flying at a club enjoyable.

-Scott
Old 02-22-2005, 02:30 PM
britbrat

Both of you made good saves -- you were lucky, but you also got the message.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:22 PM
bruce88123

It is GOOD to know when to quit. By then your nerves were probably shot for the day anyway. You'll be fine when you go back, having taken the time to analyze your flight.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Good call on leaving the field. I wanted to fly so bad, that i would it in my room (and still do) Close my eyes and think of what the plane is doing and correct it and control it. It is rpetty fun when your bored...
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 PM
rlipsett

just remember that when flying a trainer inverted with a flat bottom wing that when you push the stick forward to go up that it reacts extremely slow and sluggish. I did this once with my superstar and watched the plane pull out of a 6 second dive so slowly I was gettng very nervous. Now that I know better to just roll it and use up elevator. Symetrical wings work much better at inverted flight especially when low or mid wings
Old 02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
bruce88123

If you have a computer radio you could set it up to give you more down elevator than up.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:32 PM
mrbass111

the sad thing for me was is that my nerves were not shot. it was actually a rush. i told the trainer that was one way to get some excitment out of a trainer. the tough part is not being stupid for the sake of adrenallin. but i think i have things under control hehe.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:38 PM
jagnweiner

Mr. Bass-

I'm sure you've got things completely under control. I find the thrill of wild maneuvers outweighed by the crushing disappointment of losing a plane. To each their own. The good news is that once you graduate to the Kaos, inverted will be a lot easier. I assume we're not flying the Kaos yet, correct?

-Scott
Old 02-23-2005, 02:16 PM
mrbass111

have not even put the kaos together yet but comming soon. and your right., we have to do the smart thing
Old 02-23-2005, 08:28 PM
ScottyO-inactive

mrbass111-
Next time you need an adrenallin rush, just take a ride in the Gambler!![8D]
I can't wait to get mine ready for the season, but we are forcast to get 4-6 inches of snow here tomorrow.

ScottyO
(Intimidator- 200 Merc EFI)
Old 02-23-2005, 08:49 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which of us have not PULLED when in inverted flight during the early days of learning ... hahaha ... I used ot fly inverted a lot to get my orientation. What I still do now is when inverted i place my thumb just aft of the stick a little. This keeps me from PULLING as I can only push.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:06 AM
mrbass111

scotty, to bad you live in md. were in the middle of tournament season here. those intimidators are flyers. but my 22 footer does pretty well. 75 to 80 on gps. the problem is you get use to it and the rush fades away a little. owned gamblers since 1988. not like haveing your new trainer plummeting to earth. and for those of you that think rc aircraft is an expensive hobby try tournament bass fishing hehehe.