Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

well...crashed the avistar....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

well...crashed the avistar....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: well...crashed the avistar....

Sight unseen, here goes a wild guess. Try to position everything as close to correct as you can. IF the wood is just too damaged to permanently repair, you may have to cut out a section and replace it. This might best be done one side at a time, starting with the most damaged side(or top/bottom). Try to tack the pieces in places straight with CA temporarily, trying to get the plane straight. Straight is important at this point, pretty is not. Figure out how much(as little as possible) must be removed from the first side and remove it carefully. Then using fresh wood, fashion a replacement piece. You may want to put small doublers over the seams on the inside, keep them small and light to avoid making the tail too heavy. Attach one end first and after it sets attach the other. Remember that you can cut access holes in the other panels as you are going to replace them anyway. When the first "side" is repaired try doing the same to the opposite side. Continue with the remaining sides and recover. Nobody said this will be easy but it probably can be done. It's usually easier to work on these with all of the "stuff" out of them. If the sides or bottom is FLAT, then a table makes a good fixture for getting things straight.
Waiting on the pictures now.[:@
Old 03-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, on most pieces where wood breaks or splinter you can continue using it.i did this for the leading edge of my wing and gorrilla glues it back in. stronger than ever now.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:31 PM
bruce88123

The most important thing is to develop a plan before you attack, don't just jump into it. Take your time, if something puzzles you think it out. This isn't a one night project I'm sure.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:31 AM
bruce88123

ScienceisCool - Pictures??? Try to get some close-ups for detail.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:12 PM
ScienceisCool
My Feedback: (1)

sorry, no pics yet... camera is acting up.

so here's the black box report:

ailerons were found to be offset to bank left when control stick was centered. wind did not play a large factor in the crash. When the plane left the ground it banked hard left, correction of full right aileron only made the plane fly level resulting in a stall and crash. Pilot and Co-pilot were killed on impact due to massive head trauma and internal hemoraging.

Cause of Crash: Pilot error on pre-flight check.

all at once now...."you dumb*****!"
Old 03-24-2005, 02:21 PM
bruce88123

Did the FDR (Flight Data Recorder) tell you how the ailerons got shifted to the left? They were OK on prior flights, right? Had the trim gotten bumped over? Don't give up on repair yet. Would probably still be cheaper and quicker. THIS is why you should always have at least 2 planes, even if you don't have enough radios for both. I've got 4 flyable right now and a 60 size Bridi KAOS on the build board slowly going together(snail pace).
Old 03-24-2005, 02:33 PM
ScienceisCool
My Feedback: (1)

i adjusted the ailerons to the left because on previous flights i had to give full left trim to get her straight and level but i guess one notch over on teh servo wheel was just too much. definitely a learning experience. I'm going to attempt repairs this weekend but if that fails i'll get a new kit in a couple weeks and get back out there.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
bruce88123

You always want to leave the servo arm perpendicular to the servo at neutral (unless using differential) and make the adjustments with the clevis's or whatever adjusters you have. By rotating the arm, you also induced differential which MAY have reduced effectiveness when you needed it the most. Either end of the pushrod may be adjusted but not the servo arm. [] These mods need to be discussed with experienced people for a while, until you get some more time behind you. You'll learn soon enough, let's keep the cost of the lessons down. [:@]
Old 04-26-2005, 01:59 AM
SBR_RV

how embarassing! oh well... build... crash....rebuild...
iv seen a video of a guy who crashed a giant scale highly detailed warbird on its first flight.
i saw another video of somone crashing a 50% edge because he got too low.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:28 PM
donhef

Don't feel bad...I'm on my 3rd Avistar. I just had to chop down a tree to get my last one down from the top and it splintered everything but the fuse. Got the new airframe from Tower 2 weeks ago and it'll be ready in another few days.

Just have to fly the Terror for now...............