Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

evolution .61 on a Kadet LT 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

evolution .61 on a Kadet LT 40

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:16 PM
spawnxx2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evolution .61 on a Kadet LT 40

My wonderful mother-in-law just bought me an evolution .61 for easter thanks to my wife for giving her the idea. Anyways I have been wanting a new engine for my Sig Kadet lt 40. I originaly wanted a .51 because i thought a .61 would be too big. anyways my question is, Is my new engine too big for my Kadet Lt 40? And if not Are there any modifications I need to make to the Kadet? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:39 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: evolution .61 on a Kadet LT 40

way too much engine for that plane. It would fly it, but why? At what level are you? What do you want to do next? It might be time to move up to that second plane--maybe like a four star 60? That would be a good match for that motor. I've seen that motor fly--it's a screamer. It'll turn a 13 X 6 prop like there is no tomorrow. You'll pull that plane in half. Actually, the most probably outcome is loss of aircraft due to control surface flutter, leading to hinge failure etc, etc, etc. If it's 3d you like, get a twist--99 bucks and you can use all the servos/radio out of your trainer. You're set! Put a prop with 4 pitch at the most on that .61 and have a ball!
Old 03-27-2005, 11:45 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

A 51 would pull it pretty good with lots of authority and you shouldn't have to worry about flying it to pieces, but a 61, yep worry!
Old 03-28-2005, 12:26 AM
bulletbob

I built the LT from a kit and have used the 32SX, 46LA and the 46FX in it. It is best with the LA I think, and the .61 would be way overkill. Find a larger bird for that engine and save the LT for its intended purpose. It is one of the best for its purpose.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:00 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

First... Your mother in law buying you a new motor for easter is very cool...

If you want a laugh... (I'm not sure what stage you are at)

Shorten each wing half by one bay... (or even two )

Change to Airplane to tail dragger format...

Put all the throws on high...

Slap on that .61...

And post the pics in the crash forum...

Matt
Old 03-28-2005, 06:29 PM
spawnxx2k

Ok I talked to the hobby store owner and he said that he would exchange it for whatever I wanted so what would be a good engine for my kadet lt 40? I want something that is gonna give it some balls but not tear them off. I was kinda looking at thunder tiger .51
Old 03-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Fastsky

Sounds like everyone is over panicking. The LT40 is a strong plane. I know, I had one as my trainer. There is one at our field with a 61 in it, not sure what brand engine and he does knife edge with his LT40 at 10 feet over the runway! The plane isn't much faster with the bigger engine but the vertical pull factor and the climb rate is impressive! Only down side I see is that you will need a bigger fuel tank or you can expect short flights. If you go this route, make sure that your control surfaces are pinned in. Personally though, there are planes that would be a much better match for that size engine. [8D]
Old 03-28-2005, 10:11 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Don't exchange that engine. That is an awesome engine, and I'm sure the LHS owner will come out better on the deal than you. Fly your trainer until you are ready, then put that 61 on another plane and have a ball.
On the other hand, if money is an issue, and you won't be getting another plane for a long time, then maybe exchanging it would be the better alternative. Get an OS 46 AX, or an evolution .46 is also a good choice. You'll be much happier.
Not only is it too much power, it will also add quite a bit of weight up front, which you will have to counter with weight in the back, making the plane overall much heavier, increasing wing loading, and making for poorer flight performance. Landings will be super fast because of the increased wing loading, and you will put more stress at the wing joint itself. I wouldn't do it, but thats JMO. Take it for what it's worth (not much )
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Fastsky

I looked it up. It is a big weight difference! If you go with the bigger fuel tank on top of that its not going to be fun. Either see if you can get something like a Tiger 60 for the engine of maybe consider exchanging it for something like a 46AX as others have suggested. [&o]