Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Flyer here!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Flyer here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Small Fry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Flyer here!

I recently just got into R/C Planes. I've always had a huge interest in planes, but opted to not become a real pilot. I live on college campus, so dont really have a place to go to a local hobby shop, nor do I really have the funds. Right now I have a SMALL foam plane, electric powered, two small motors, but I'm looking to go to a .4 size plane. It's a kit, 48 inch wing span, but I dont know what I'll need to put INTO the plane. The tools arent a problem, nor is the space, but the contents that go INTO the plane. I am good with wood, and building (been doing custom cabinetry for 4 years so I'm OK with tools). Can anyone inform me as to what I need to get to go into my plane. I dont have the plane now, but that's what I was thinking about doin. ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 09-27-2002, 12:39 AM
mancha

Default New Flyer here!

do research in R/C magazines such as RCM or model airplane news. also put computer hours in this type of forums
you will get familiaar with servos, rx,...tips in general.
enjoy and welcome to the hobby!.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Crashem

Default New Flyer here!

). Can anyone inform me as to what I need to get to go into my plane.

Without knowing the exact kit this is just a Guess.
By the way some kits list the items neccessary to complete either on the outside of the box or in the manual. Also most big Box houses know this things thats how they can increase the amount of your order. When you order the kit their systems pop up with a list of items necessary to complete it.

Here goes.

.40-.46 2 stroke engine (I'm assuming two stroke not 4 stroke because of cost)

CA Glue Medium, Thin
5 min 30 min Expoxy
Covering (monokote ultracote etc.)
Fuel tank
Fuel Tubing
Wheels
wheel collars
Rubber bands # 64 ????
Covering Iron
Radio Control 3,4,6 channel depending on plane
Lead weight
Foam Rubber
Propeller(s)

Plus Tools but you said you had them ?
Old 09-27-2002, 12:56 AM
Small Fry

Default New Flyer here!

Yes, I have all the tools. I've been doing HOURS of research on the internet for about the last 3 weeks, trying to get prices and lists of parts and things of the such. The tools arent a problem though, I read on another topic in this forum a list of tools needed, and they arent a problem. Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-27-2002, 01:05 AM
Crashem

Default New Flyer here!

Small Fry

Remember that the items I listed only complete the kit you need more stuff to actually fly it!!!!

This is just a guess but A trainer kit and all of the items neccesary to fly it will probably cost between $300-$500

Don't forget AMA Dues $48 this year $58 next If you don't have most clubs won't let you fly.

Goodluck
Old 09-27-2002, 01:29 AM
TerrellFlyer

Default New Flyer here!

Hi Small Fry,
welcome to the hobby/sport, my .02 only, before spending any money check on some of the flying clubs see what they are flying, some clubs have instructors and planes to train with,also a 48"plane isn't the easiest to learn on,Sig lt25,Sig lt40,Great Planes pt40,Goldgerg Eagle, just to name a few better choices,also as Crashem has listed, these items fit the larger trainers listed.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:44 AM
Small Fry

Default New Flyer here!

Thinking more on it now, would it be better if I started with a Plastic model, rather than a balsa one? I KNOW that I'll send it into the ground so to minimize the devastation, would this be wise?
Old 09-27-2002, 02:01 AM
TerrellFlyer

Default New Flyer here!

Hi Small Fry,
NO!!!!!!! If you really want to fly R/C find a flying field with instructors,with a good instructor and buddy box there shouldn't be any crashes.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:17 AM
vegas mossie

Default New Flyer here!

Smallfry, check out the spad web site for a more inexpensive type of trainer plane. Most trainers call for a .40 engine, 4 servos, reciever/ battery, fuel tank, control rods and assorted hardware to put it all together. Also, you need a radio, flight box with glow stick, chicken stick or electric starter, fuel, maybe an extra propellor or two. I am sure there is more I have forgotten, but that is a general list. Good luck Loren
Old 09-27-2002, 04:41 AM
Hypter
My Feedback: (2)

Default New Flyer here!

Small Fry, I recently got into RC Planes, in reguard to your question about everything you need to put "IN" your plane, if you order your plane from Tower Hobbies, they have a list for each plane of all the Accessories needed to build/put into your plane.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:03 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default New Flyer here!

SmallFry,
I believe there is a pretty good hobby shop right in Boardman, OH, where you live....can't think of the name of it right now.....they should be able to steer you in the right direction also......and if you want to take a little drive.....go to Aerotech hobbies in North Canton.....the place is great, and prices are excellent....usually better than mail-order. They can help you out.

Mike
Old 09-27-2002, 01:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Flyer here!

While you're at the Hobby Shop, ask where the local club flies. Then, go out there for a visit. Get to know some of the guys, they will be a TON of help!
Old 09-27-2002, 01:32 PM
Small Fry

Default New Flyer here!

Glowplug, next time I go home, I'll check out that hobby shop. It's not far from my house at all.