Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

servo question

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

servo question

Old 04-30-2005, 05:00 PM
J421

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo question

I have a question about servos. I have a radio (transmitter) that I've used on one of my small rc boats. I'm thinking of building a park flyer, and wanted to use this radio with the park flyer (to save money). It's a futaba 4channel. Is it possible for me to purchase two servos separately to use on the park flyer that would be compatible with my 4 channel transmitter I have?

Thanks very much
Old 04-30-2005, 06:04 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: servo question

I may be wrong about this, but I believe that FCC regs limit the use of frequencies for surface and air seperately. You may want to check into this if you live in a conjested area. If you're out in the middle of no where, who could care less, then maybe you would be okay.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Montague

To extend what Mike said, check the transmitter for the frequency. If it's 75.something Mhz or says anything about 75Mhz or has a channel number above 60 then it's legal only for surface use, boats and cars.

If it's 72Mhz, or channels 11-60, then it's for aircraft only.

If it's on 27Mhz (which often have single digit channel numbers), then it's legal for both uses.

Also, note that 75mhz systems often do not transmit as powerful of a signal as 72mhz systems since the RX normally doesn't go as far away. With a park flyer, you won't get as far away as you might with a larger plane, but it's still something to watch for.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:54 PM
J421

Thanks for the info - I'll check the numbers on my radio and re-post.

Joe
Old 04-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Montague

side note: there are other bands out there besides 27, 72, anbd 75. But they are for licensed operators such, ie "ham bands". I don't always remember their rules, since I'm not one. But if you have a TX that is "none of the above", then it could be on a "ham band" or from another country (since other countries break up the bands differently than around here).