Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hi, I'm a complete newb at this whole RC Airplane thing...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hi, I'm a complete newb at this whole RC Airplane thing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Boarder2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, I'm a complete newb at this whole RC Airplane thing...

I want to get a plane that is electric, very inexpensive, comes with everything in the package, doesn't require much building, and is something that I could fly in a local football or soccer field... Does anyone have suggestions of what I should get?
Old 09-29-2002, 07:17 PM
JayParke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been away from flying for about three months so I'm not all up to par on all the new planes out there. BUT, I did see very recently someone flying around a slow stick. I would say if you wanna learn on electric then try this plane out. The kit I beleive is like $35, but of course you're still gonna need to buy the Tx and Rx and battery.

Here's a link to horizionhobby selling em. http://www.horizonhobby.com./product...GWS1040&tag=ni

Also go over to www.rcgroups.com and do a search for slow stick. rcgroups is the place to go learn/talk/hear about electrics.

Josh
Old 09-29-2002, 08:39 PM
Hummve

GWS they are very ez to fly and low cost. http://www.greatmodeldeals.com/products/pico_cub.htm go their it takes you to the GWS cub page in fact i just ordered that plane cant wait to get it. I have had the lighter version of it and it was a blast it was ez'er to fly than a paper air plane well almost you can get them in combo's to with every thing you need to get in the air.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:22 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BWS Tiger Moth

The TM assembles easily, flies and lands slow and easy, easy to fix with a little epoxy glue. Plane $60 comes with motor/geardrive, prop, you add $100 GWS flight pack ( receiver, 2 micro servos and speed control( recommend NiMh battery and 5amp speed control for a little more money). You'll also need a GWS transmitter($40) and a GWS Charger ($40) Total $240. Buy it all from Aeromicro.com. Delivery in 3 days or less from San Jose CA. You can call in your order and give credit card info, t Tell Perry that I sent you.

BTW, there are hundreds of threads on E-Zone about TM mods and upgrades, fixes, etc. Hundreds of people have started out with TM's and are thrilled with them. Will fly nicely in calm out door air and indoors in school gymnasiums. Rise off ground and easy hand-launch takeoffs. Replacement motors are $10, whole motor/geardrive is $16.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:25 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Servo City has the Hitec Sky Scooter (I have also seen them on Ebay for aroung $99 + shipping).

Check it out at:

http://www.servocity.com/Products/Sk..._airplane.html

Bill
Old 09-30-2002, 06:54 PM
Crashem

if you want an inexpensive plane get an instructor

having someone there to "save" your plane makes them all cheaper since one can last through you're tranning period.

Seriously, Inexpensive is a realitive term.. Also remember you do get what you pay for!! (Some of the electric RTF Planes out there are only marginly better then toys)

IMHO: It will cost a minimum of 250.00 to get a "decent" park flyer and gear

1. Plane and motor (some kits include it some don't)
2. Radio Tx, Rx, Servos
3. Electronic Speed Control (ESC)
4. Flight Pak Nicad or NiMh (Most people have more then one)
5. Charger for Flight Pak
6. Glues
7. Props
Old 10-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Fastsky

Default small electrics

An RC flying buddy brought out a small park flyer that his grandkids had bought him for Christmas. The plane wasn't expensive but the micro servos, micro receiver and battery pack cost him quite a bit. The plane flew well but started to fall apart after about 6 flights. He hand launched and his landings were slow and gentle. The thing is built to be very light, not strong. There just isn't enough material on the plane to make it sturdy. He stopped flying it after the electric motor fell off. If you want something that you wnt to keep for a while, get a 40 sized trainer and an Instructor.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

The Firebird comes with everything. I assembled mine in a parking lot while watching a medivac heli load up. Very simple and they are around $100. Won't teach much about flying but it's a park flyer with all the works and it's cheap.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:36 PM
Ghostbear

Default Cockpit Master BE Edition

Boarder2K,

My thoughts, if you intend to continue with the hobby stay away from 2 channel models (like the Firebird), and stay away from the all in 1 kits that include a 3 channel radio and gear. The 2 channels don't give you the "thumb" basics so do translate to "real" airplanes later. And the cheap radio gear will be useless for other planes.

Instructors are always a good idea, but...

Also, if you get a park flyer or slow flyer that will manuever in the area you described, you CAN teach yourself how to fly if you use a decent simulator, like the Cockpit Master Backyard Edition. It is not free ($35 I think) but it is designed specifically around electrics. I taught myself how to fly that way. Just make sure you have a BIG area the first few times you fly. Slow is nice, but even a few obstacles can spell disaster.

Finally, don't think this type of experience will make you ready to fly a gas plane. Also, my enjoyment of the hobby tripled when I joined a club, the built in excuse on Sunday afternoon's got my wife off my case. :-)

GB
Old 10-03-2002, 07:15 PM
Crashem

Boarder2K,

Before attempting to teach yourself Check out the New Flyers - trust us thread.

Sims are great!!!!!

IMHO: Nothing takes the place of hands on experience!!!
Old 10-04-2002, 11:24 AM
Ghostbear

Default Let me be clear

My enjoyment of this hobby tripled when I finally joined a club.

And, I think there is less than 1% probability you could teach yourself to fly a gas trainer, even with a Sim.

However, I don't think learning to fly a slowflyer like a Merlin or a Soarstar, given success in a sim and a big, open space is that hard. I did it, and taught my 12 year old daughter the same way.

In my case, learning to fly the Merlin did two things, 1) it gave me the confidence to join a club, 2) gave me a good idea that I NEEDED an instructor to continue.

GB
Old 10-04-2002, 12:12 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Re: Hi, I'm a complete newb at this whole RC Airplane thing...

I have seen the Firebird and the Zagi. THe Firebird is easier, teh Zagi is better.

Originally posted by Boarder2k
I want to get a plane that is electric, very inexpensive, comes with everything in the package, doesn't require much building, and is something that I could fly in a local football or soccer field... Does anyone have suggestions of what I should get?
Old 10-05-2002, 10:41 PM
Boarder2k

Default Pico Stick?

Ok, i'm seriously thinking of getting the GWS Pico Stick, if I got it at http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/description.asp?prod=GWS1000&pc=GWS1000 and got the flight pack, what else will I need to get to complete it and which flight pack will I need?