Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Got an ugly stick!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Got an ugly stick!

Old 05-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Grant-KS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an ugly stick!

Hey guys, just thought I'd holler that I got another plane to get me back in the air again. I think I was basically ready for a second plane when I tried that inverted stunt with my trainer. Now I've gotten tons of sim. time since the tragic crash, and can just about fly inverted in my sleep. That was simply dumb thumbs. Anyway, it's a .60 size plane custom built by two very good builders from the local club stick built from plans. (They built 5 of them) I'll be putting a Super Tigre .75 on the front of it, and JR 770 I think it is receiver, and JR 537 servos in it. Todd, one of the two best pilots at the club reccommended it too, so that helped. My friend's dad paid for it, so I'll work it, and the engine off. It's set up with trike gear now. I need to cut holes for aileron servos, and for the rudder and elevator pushrods. I'll try to get pics up in the next day or so.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:36 AM
Mike 1
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Got an ugly stick!

The Ugly Stick is one of the best all-round knock around fliers ever designed.
You will love it!!!! I always try to have a Stick of some sort handy in my hangar.
Just watch out with that much power that you don't induce flutter.
I fluttered one of mine years ago, it took about a half of a second to strip the elevator clevis.
End of that stick!
Enjoy it.I think you'll find it's easier to fly than a trainer.
Mike
Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's built to the original plans, where the aileron tips have a bigger chord than at the fuse end, you might consider either using the original pushord/bellcrank system to get the control horns to the center of the aileron span or use a pair of servos with a Y connector to do the same thing or you will have aileron flutter. This was a problem when people started using the torque rod systems at the center section to drive the ailerons. Too much aileron area at the tips compared to the fuse ends.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

My friend got one the other day and also crashed it yesterday being stupid.. (we won't got into details) for the time it flew it did great and was a floater. He should have it rebiult soon. I plan to flight test it.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah yes. Stupidity! Anything like the thing that turned mine into toothpicks? Hhaving the nose start dropping in point 2 of a 4 point roll at 15' altitude? So to raise the nose, you feed in a touch of "UP" elevator? At full throttle?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:36 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope you built the wing flat, with no dihedral. That makes that plane so fun! Flys great right side up and upside down. Stll will slow down like the best of them for landings. It also is awsome on floats and skis.