Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

how to do a good takeoff from the ground??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

how to do a good takeoff from the ground??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 08:20 PM
biker_ray_pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to do a good takeoff from the ground??

I have a ParkZone Cub which I absolutely love. The first time I actually got it to fly, I took off from a nice paved strip (access road around the cemetery) and it was airborne with no problem. It must have been beginner's luck. That first day, I took off from that strip a dozen times, no problem at all. Now, I can't take off from the ground to save my life. The plane flies just as well by heaving it into the air by hand, but I like the realistic aspect of a rolling takeoff.

I've heard that it can be tricky to takeoff with a taildragger, and I can see why. No matter what I do, the plane will track straight for a few feet, then just start spinning donuts on the ground.

How do I get this bird off the ground and into the air?!?!

Thanks!

Ray out
Old 05-22-2005, 08:33 PM
nealt870
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: how to do a good takeoff from the ground??

This is the plan I learned to fly on 2 months ago. I went through the same problem. Check the landing gear and make sure one wheel is not toe in more than the other. Also, The plan will absolutely not (or I can't get it to) takeoff into a cross wind. IT will tun donut after donut every time! The plane needs twice the power it has. It will teach you how to keep from stalling for sure!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:34 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray,

Check the gear. It may bent bent out to the sides to much and maybe a tad back. Also, bend the "front" of the wheels in a little bit to give it some "toe-in". All of these will help the ground roll. My father plays a little bit with that same plane and I had to do everything I mentioned to get it to roll on asphalt, as you probably already know, it will not take off from grass.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

since it is a TD, make sure you get the nose up with a little up on the stick
Old 05-22-2005, 10:38 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start your roll out while slowly applying thrust, and hold tail down with the ele. As your ground speed picks up control the direction with the rudder when the ground roll is getting faster start to release the ele. until the tail comes off the ground. once the air flow is fast enough over the tail it will track straight. until that point you will need to slowly raise the speed while controlling direction with rudder. My 1/4 scale fly baby will spin on the ground if I punch the throttle.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:46 PM
zachj1212

i think that your landing gear are bent out of shape...........happened to me. YOu can buy new ones, or just bend them back.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
bobcagen

Also try putting the Aerobird challenger tail wheel in the back with some tape. It will make it do the spin a rama less. Start off slow and get it going straight then power up. Wiuth the tailwheel added it wil make it so much easier. I can now take off in very small spaces as I am used to what it will do. You will also in no time

Oh ya....check that tail to see if its striaght and level with the rest of the plane