Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

thrust angle on arrow trainner for engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

thrust angle on arrow trainner for engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:14 PM
ICCARUS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thrust angle on arrow trainner for engine

had to remove evo .46 was just reading in a mag. not to remove it because of thrust angle. can someone help me with this or how about a os.60fp have one lieing around what do you think
Old 05-25-2005, 10:16 PM
ICCARUS

Default RE: thrust angle on arrow trainner for engine

sorry this a hanger 9 arrow trainner the eng. was removed from need to remount
Old 05-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Fastsky

The thrust angle on a lot of planes is built into the firewall. The fuselage is a bit longer in the front on one side than the other making the firewall have a bit of an angle to the left. When you bolt the engine mount on one of these plane the thrust angle will be preset. Other planes like my original trainer simply stated to add a couple of washers on one side between the motor mount and the firewall to give the same effect. With regards to the OS 61 engine, are you asking if you should mount it on your trainer?? If thats the case, there is no advantage. Trainers with more power usually won't give you that much more speed. It will just climb faster and glide farther at lower throttle settings. Trainers tend to be floaty. With the bigger prop needed for the 61 engine the problem is that the plane will want to keep cruising along in level flight and you may have trouble losing altitude to land. I had that problem with my sons LT25 when I used a OS 32SX engine on the front. Lots of power even in the wind but very hard to get it to come down! [8D]
Old 05-26-2005, 08:44 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you have to remove the engine?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:24 AM
ICCARUS

flew my sturdy birdi with it, wanted to fly something durable before going up with the arrow.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just put it back in and make sure it lines up with the mount.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Jason12

I have an Arrow but I bought mine without an engine then put an O.S. AX 46 wich is more than enough power running a master airscrew 10x8 prop. I set mine up to zero thrust angle with the original clamp style motor mount. You have to use a little right rudder on take off but thats the way I think it should be. If you cock the engine slightly to the right you will have to use less rudder but this is a trainer also and part of learnig to fly is to use the rudder. Oh by the way snapping an arrow is fun just make sure you have the wing on good.l
Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Fastsky

I never had a problem with thrust on 40 sized planes. When I got a poor 60 size kit that had the firewall with no thrust angle. The plane was pulling hard to the right(or was it left) and was very difficult to control on the ground. Brought it back to the shop and added some opposite thrust to the engine mounting. Made a world of difference. Still needed some rudder to keep it straight for the takeoff but no more than other planes. [8D]