Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

When to change the battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

When to change the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 01:30 AM
chines
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to change the battery?

Ok I have not been able to fly for about 5 years. I have had the transmitter in the garage and it is like new. But can i trust the battery in the TX and RX battery?

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-05-2005, 02:50 AM
mblue2050
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: When to change the battery?

I would charge them both then check. All sorts of meters avaialble for checking. Cheaper than two new batteries and a good thing to have in your tool box.
I put a little "Hobbico Voltwatch" or the "MPI" lighted charge jack/switch on all of my planes. Both have lights to indicate battery voltage. MPI can handle 6v.
Reassuring to simply look and see if your RX battery is OK. Reminds me its on if I forget too.
I have had 3 transmitters and all had a guage or a digital reading for voltage.
If yours Tx does not have a meter get a battery checker of some type. Futaba makes a $40.00 BR-2000...j-type receptacle or you can get the CDR-5000 for $450.00. Hitec makes a Power Mate 2...BEC connector for $29.00 to name a few. With the electric craze going on there is no limit to what you can get. Just make sure you get the correct receptacle for your brand of electronics.
I personally let a ni-cad sit for two years and it is still going strong after 2 more years of using it often.
Just check it. You sure do not want your plane to crash because of that. I will not fly it until I know the batteries are strong in my planes and the TX.
New batteries are not that much either. For me a discharger/charger/checker/etc is a must. I recently joined the craze.
Happy flying
Michael
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Woody 51

Best do a Charge-Discharge test (Cycle) on both.

Cycle 3 times and observe what the reading is at full discharge on the 3rd cycle.

If it is within 20 % of the packs rated capacity, it should be O.K. (i.e. on a 600 Ma/H Tx pack, if should come up at 480 Ma/H or more.)

If lower than that - replace it.

Also, check all the connection plugs for any greeny/blue powdery build up. If you find any, you have the start of the dreaded "Black Wire" syndrome. If so- ditch the pack and the connector and go get new ones.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:11 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

With radios that have been used and cycled regularly, I still replace the batts every 5 to 7 years.

Batts that have sat for 5 years ? I would replace them.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:42 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comparing the price of batteries and the price of plane/engine/serovs ... I will kill my batteries after 3 years max.