Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for 2nd Plane (warbird)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for 2nd Plane (warbird)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Clintjc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 2nd Plane (warbird)

Hi
I have been flying for sometime now with a trainer, I flew for a real long time, then had kids and now getting back into it, now that the kids are older. I re-started with a trainer, just to make sure I still had flying since. Luckily I do.
So I was looking for a good 2nd plane perferable a warbird. Before the kids I was flying a Super Stick 60 ARF and a Great Planes Easy Sport 40 ARF.
Anyone know of any good warbirds that would be a good 2nd plane? An ARF, do not want nor to I have the time to build anymore.

Thanks in advance for any help

clint
Old 06-06-2005, 03:47 PM
txaggie08

Default RE: Looking for 2nd Plane (warbird)

the one people pointed me towards was the mentor .
Old 06-06-2005, 03:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Clintjc1,
Welcome back to the addiction!!! Unfortunately there aren't too many warbirds that are good for a 2nd plane. As an instructor I see students all the time want to get into a warbird as fast as they can (hey, I think a slick P-51 is a sexy plane tool. very hard to resist), but unfortunately most of the time take the warbird home in a plastic bag. I'd say to get you a good low wing plane (4*40/60, tiger 2, etc ...) and get some more of you skills built up. There isn't any reason why you couldn't start building a warbird while you fly the 2nd plane. After you get nice and slick on that then I'd think about moving up to a warbird.

Now, with that said, I don't want to be a total stick in the mud. If you're really set on doing it there are a couple out there that might fill the bill. As said before, the T-34 Mentor is pretty forgiving. I've heard that the Hanger 9 -P-40 flies like a sport plane, but I don't know yet. I'm in the process of doing a review on this plane and haven't flown it. I'll be more than happy to let you know how if flies once I get it in the air

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Clintjc1

Ken
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I have been finding during my research, hardly any good warbirds as a good second plane. It's funny you mention the P-40, I have always wanted that plane and was just looking at the Mentor.
I did build a really cool Midwest Messerschmitt Kit .40-.46, way back, I flew it with an instructor one time and felt it was way to hard to fly as you stated and ended up tradeing it in for a RC boat. Which was a flop decsion.
With that said, please do let me know how the P-40 handles and I am going to research more traditional 2nd planes.
Maybe the tiger 2 ARF.

Thanks again
clint
Old 06-06-2005, 04:50 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken has it right. However, instead of the Mentor, I suggest that you try an Ultra Sport+ -- if you can handle that, you are more-or less there with a not-too-hairy warbird (no Spitfires yet). The Ultra Sport is a gem in its own right & it won't sit idle, even though you are a scale/warbird kind of guy.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:52 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: britbrat

Ken has it right. However, instead of the Mentor, I suggest that you try an Ultra Sport+ -- if you can handle that, you are more-or less there with a not-too-hairy warbird (no Spitfires yet). The Ultra Sport is a gem in its own right & it won't sit idle, even though you are a scale/warbird kind of guy.

Brit,
oh yeah!!! IMHO the Ultra Sport is THE best sport plane out there. Although I prefer the 60 size, they don't make it anymore. But the Ultra Sport + is a great flying plane!!!

Ken
Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Clintjc1

Thanks
Is this the Great Planes Great Planes Ultra Sport 40, you are talking about. Or is there another one?
Also was lookikng for an ARF, I see the Great Planes Ultra Sport 40 is a kit.
I really do not have the time to build. Were in the middle of re-modeling the house and the wife would rather see me building that then a plane, if you get my drift.

Thanks
clint
Old 06-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Liberator

Clint,

I have traveled much the same path as you. I started back in after a 25 year hiatus from the sport. I flew an electric glider to get some stick time then got a U-Can-Do. Flew that for a bit and decided to try the war bird thing. So I have the H-9 P-40 in my truck getting ready to maiden. Sorry for the not complete pic, but I am just heading to the field in between rain storms to see if I can get it airborne. I think it's going to be a great plane.

Listen to these guys, they know their stuff. Be comfortable with what you get.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48178.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	281279  
Old 06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
MountaineerFan36

I'm in a similar position in as much as I would like to go the warbird route as well. The path I've decided on after much research is

1.)Hobbico Nexstar (I'm here presently but will be moving to #2 soon)
2.) SIG Four Star 60
3.) Hangar 9 Corsair

Joe
Old 06-06-2005, 08:29 PM
BAMAFLY

I think ( hope ) that the Mentor that folks are talking about is the World Model T-34. It`s a stand off scale T-34 that looks good and doesn`t sacrifice good flying characteristics. The other ARF T-34 is the Hanger 9. Looks more scale perhaps, but my understanding is that it`s MUCH more demanding.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:31 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

If you go for a Mentor, just stay away from the Hanger 9. It's a brick in an airplane disguise.
Dennis-
Old 06-06-2005, 09:31 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll second World Models T-34. It is a stand off scale plane, but it flies very well with a low cost .40 in the nose, and is a super performer with a good .46. No bad habbits and very forgiving, not to mention very strong! Can't say enough good things about it.

andy
Old 06-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Fastsky

The World Mentor is fairly forgiving but I don't think its much easier to fly than the Midwest Messerschmitt Kit .40-.46 which you said was too much of a handful. Can you get an understanding fellow pilot to let you get "used to the plane" on a buddy box for a few flights? The first few minutes on a frisky sport plane is a bit of a shock after a trainer. The quick response and faster speed can take you by surprize and you tend to over control the plane. If you panic at this point, then the plane is usually the loser. If you can keep the plane in the air for more than a few minutes you can learn how to lighten up on the thumb movements and you should be ok. If you are pretty much on your own then I would say get an in between plane such as a Tiger 2 or an Ultra Sport. [8D]
Old 08-05-2005, 03:12 PM
DJJ

I'll second the Tiger 2. Wonderful low wing plane to learn on and VERY forgiving. At this altitude I ran an OS .46 FX in it until last weekend. I put my OS .70 II in her and it made a world of difference. Can't go wrong with the Tiger 2.

-DJJ
Old 08-05-2005, 03:30 PM
shakes268

My route has been:

1) NexStar
2) GC Tiger 2 converted to a tail dragger
3) H9 P-51
4) Assembling Vectorflight Edge 540 (currently here)
5) H9 Corsair
6) Who knows!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:05 PM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

Like DJJ said you cant go wrong with the tiger 2. I love mine with an OS 46 but I too am going with the OS 70 flies like a dream... more like a high wing trainer, but a little more sensitive.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:57 PM
delman

Surprised nobody suggested the Super Sportster 40 ARF with a 46 on it. It's a tail dragger arf that makes a good 2nd or 3rd plane moving towards warbird models.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:11 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the VQ warbirds are relatively easy to fly. I have the VQ Zero and it handles very well. And they look pretty good too. www.vqmodelaircraft.com

Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Hanger 9 has a P-51 Mustang TRAINER now. It has removeable clear plastic wing airfoails, fixed gear, pre positionable flaps (convertable to regular flaps) and removeable airbrakes.

It is designed as a trainer, but as your skill improves you can remove the various items.

I know it is available as an RTF, I am not sure if it is available as a plane only. Your LHS can probably tell you that.

Might be worth checking out.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Blue_Moon_

what about the top flight 60size mustang?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:05 PM
DaveB

You may want to consider the Great Planes Mustang. It's not really scale, but it looks good and flies even better. It's an easy build and I am confident you would be happy with it.

DaveB
Old 08-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Clintjc1

Man, now its even harder. You guys gave me to many options.
I think I am going to look at the tiger 2, I was looking at that a long time ago
I won't feel as bad if I wreck that one as I would with a cool looking wardbird.
Now I gotta get the radio out check it out and re-run my engines.
Thanks allot for all the input and suggestions.

clint
Old 08-10-2005, 09:00 PM
shakes268

If you get the Tiger 2, you will love that airplane! I think it is a great "trainer" for a warbird as it doesn't land like floater. If you have never flown a taildragger, it is a great first taildragger as well (when set up as one). I flew mine for about 3 weeks (3-4 days each week) as a trike then converted it. My third plane was the H9 P-51 and while it flies amazingly smooth I worry and shake every time I fly it because it turned out to be such a beautiful plane.

If you want to see a video of my Tiger 2 in action, PM me and I'll send you a link to the videos.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:26 AM
Blue_Moon_

Liberator, do you got any more prictures of your P-40, it looks lovely!