Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flew the Kadet and I did pretty good!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flew the Kadet and I did pretty good!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 PM
biker_ray_pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew the Kadet and I did pretty good!!

I finally got to fly my LT-40, and it went pretty well. It is DEFINITELY cool. I did pretty well at takeoff and pretty well in the air, but my landings need some work. Nothing major, just a busted prop. But I'll get it next time.

Many thanks to Mark and everyone at PARCS. Much appreciated!

Ray out
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flew the Kadet and I did pretty good!!

Sig makes a great line of planes--the LT 40 is no exception. I've seen another RCU member trained on one, and I was impressed with the quality of the plane.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:09 AM
bryris

I've been training on an LT-40....Since Jan. Only has 9 flights on it though. (College graduation, move, wedding, job search/interview, yadda yadda has kept me from doing more - things are settling down now).

But, its a very stable plane in the air. Mine required very little trim. It just took off for the first time (after a kit build too), and just sailed across te sky with about one click of aileron trim. Very nice.

I am excited about blowing off the dust after a 4 month absence, and firing it up and getting back out there to the field. The R/C field is now about 6 or 7 minutes from my front door. Whereas, before the move, it will about an hour....this is another reason I just waited until i was here to fly.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:21 AM
flmlm

Ray

Sounds like your having a good time with the LT 40. Currently I've got my own LT 40 on the building bench and I've heard nothing but good comments about this planes charateristics. I've been flying electrics on and off again for the past year and I'm ready to make the jump to glow. Good luck and Happy Flying......

Regards

Mike
Old 07-07-2005, 11:24 PM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 13 year old son and I have been training on the LT-40 we built from the kit. TT 46 Pro for power with an 11-5 prop.

The LT-40 is a floater - it's fun to throttle back and glide around but landings... it just wants to keep flying. I tried to force it down once and shortened the prop by 1". We've since learned the correct glide path. While we're having fun with R/C he's also having a ball with C/L flying a Flite Streak. Just yesterday he's learned to do some lazy 8's and even flew 2 laps inverted.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:05 AM
SoonerAce

I have been flying for alittle over a year. Ive owned two LT 40s, my current one is fitted with an OS 61SF ringed engine. It screams along, and handles all attitudes and situations with authority. There is even enough hp to make a very flat on center roll. When fitted with the 46 AX, it was a superb trainer. When fitted with a 40LA, it flew docile, on the edge of sluggish. (not recommended by this pilot).Next Mod will be to remove dihedral from wing and add a camera for aerial photos. Gotta love dem Kadets!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Did you do any mods to beef up your LT40 to handle the .61, or did you just install it and go? I've got a brand spankin new Evolution .61 sitting on the shelf, that eventually is going in a Hangar 9 AT-6, but I keep staring at it, and staring at my Kadet, and start thinkin.... Hmmm!!

ORIGINAL: SoonerAce

I have been flying for alittle over a year. Ive owned two LT 40s, my current one is fitted with an OS 61SF ringed engine. It screams along, and handles all attitudes and situations with authority. There is even enough hp to make a very flat on center roll. When fitted with the 46 AX, it was a superb trainer. When fitted with a 40LA, it flew docile, on the edge of sluggish. (not recommended by this pilot).Next Mod will be to remove dihedral from wing and add a camera for aerial photos. Gotta love dem Kadets!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:04 PM
ICE_MAN

Up the Kadets are great planes! Jerry Smith had one out at th field the other day.,.. O.S. 46 and a flat wing brought it in and hovered it about 2 ft. from he and I with the tail touching! Then he tried to get me to fly but I don't fly other ppls planes[8D]...

Now dad want one LOL
Old 07-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

I've got a spare wing for mine that I am about to take the dihedral out of, and shorten by one bay on each side. That should really wake it up. I've converted my LT to a taildragger (havent ever flown it with tri gear), and done a few other mods as well. It presently has an Evo .46 turning an 11x6 prop, and it flies really well.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 PM
onlyb
Banned

I fly an LT-40 I built from a kit about 5 years ago. Still flys great. I run an LA40 in it and it's not bad. A few weeks ago a guy at my field had one with a .46 in and his didn't have a take off roll, right off the deck! I love mine, and it's a really forgiving airplane, you loose it, just let go and it recovers its self. My son is learning to fly it now.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:20 AM
SoonerAce

I only changed the Motor Mount and added a few oz of lead to the tail,,simple rebalancing. I do know now that if you firewall the 61 SF, it will torque a Kadet into a roll. Gotta go eazy on the throttle,,,,,,was doing touch and goes and when I banged the throttle, it went into , " as fine a knife-edge as Ive ever seen a dihedral wing plane do" as one member was heard to remark! I meanwhile was busy on the sticks backing out of throttle and bringing her back level. Still an awesome plane.