Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

take off tips ???? in flight trim ???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

take off tips ???? in flight trim ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 PM
ypres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take off tips ???? in flight trim ???

Here I am again,
I used the handrest this weekend and yes that worked
my thumbs weren't shaking any more
and everything was more controlable.
( see previous thread : beginners : flying solo - shakes )
but still take-off gives me trouble.

Which and how much input on take off?
and then in flight what about trims???

I'm flying Vmar Discovery
a trike trainer with OS46LA
no problem on the power or so,
a nice and good combination.

On first take-off the plane seemed to try to nose over,
maybe because the grass was a bit longer
but that shouldn't be a problem,
so the second time I out in a bit of up elevator and
it tracked straight but the steering
seemed to take a while before it takes effect.

I almost find takeoff from grass harder than landing on it
because stick input has to be even more carefull
and because of the slow speed it takes longer before the plane responds.

and then suddenly it jumps in the air and I had to give some down elevator
as not to go to vertical but it recovered and then climbed steady.

Any tips anyone??
Old 07-11-2005, 03:24 PM
SkyDemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: take off tips ???? in flight trim ???

I'm a rookie pilot (just had my first solo's yesterday, and got my pilot certification from HRRC), and I have to agree, I had more problems having good take-offs and landings. I think my controls are a bit sensitive (my instructor had me increase the elevator throws beyond the recommended settings), but what has seemed to work for me for grass field take offs was to give a little up elevator as I started my roll (to lighten up the front wheel) just as I do when I'm taxiing), then neutralize the elevator, controlling my direction with light rudder corrections. For my NexSTAR it would only require a very little bit of up elevator to get it to lift off, and most of the time that would happen before I even got to full throttle. My take offs still are not perfect, but getting better with each attempt. I guess the key is practice, practice, practice.

Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 03:43 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get rid of the trike gear and convert to a tail dragger. Size is everthing when learning to fly. Find a high wing trainer with a minimum wingspan of 60" or larger. All your initial takeoffs should be facing into the wind, if your flying site allows. Stand behind the aircraft during takeoff and follow a straight line during departure.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with Flycatch. However, you can think too much about take offs and liftoff and all of the that. Three things you can't get more of, once you have wasted it after starting to take off;
1. more runway ( start at the very end of the down wind side.
2. more fuel (make sure your tank is full).
3. free electrons (make sure your batteries are charged and up to voltage)

Most trainers will take off nice and straight all by themselves into the wind, if your landing gears are aligned straight or slightly towed in (tail draggers).

Make sure you have plenty of ground speed to support straight and level flight before you pull back on the elevator.

Make sure your plane is properly balanced. A tail heavy plane usually lifts off before a stable speed is reached and usually tip stalls and cartwheels across the strip. A nose heavy plane may be difficult to get air bourne and land like a bat out of hedes.

I tell most beginners to use as much runway as necessary to get the most acceleration possible before lift off, then the control surfaces have enough air flow over them for good positive response.

Most trainers with flat bottom or semi wings will rise with throttle increase and decend with throttle decrease. You can control you rate of decent with the throttle, but be gentle with it. The trainer should be able to take off and land with almost no control input into the wind almost by itself, if it is properly balanced and set up.

Make sure you have an experienced modeler check it out for you to avoid many of the minor pitfalls that can add up and multiply into big problems.

Hope this helps, Happy Landings and takeoffs!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feed the throttle gradually on take off. This way the torque won't try to turn the model to the left. By the time you get to full throttle, you'll be going fast enough that the rudder will have good effect. Planes are like people, they all have they're own little quirks and you have to learn them. You say it jumped off when you gave it elevator, so give it a little less next time. Trikes need to sit a little nose high when sitting still so that it doesn't take much elevator to rotate at take off. When its taking off with the nose down,as with a short nose leg, it's like having down elevator in it. To get past that you have to give it more than normal up elevator so it appears jump off the ground. Hope this helps.