Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine Take-Off Surging/Cutting Out

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine Take-Off Surging/Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Nitro Dew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Take-Off Surging/Cutting Out

What would cause my engine to surge and cut out once it leaves the ground and is ascending? It runs great on the ground and once airborne, including aerobatics, it runs fine. Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:09 AM
plane_freek

Default RE: Engine Take-Off Surging/Cutting Out

your mixture is not right or sumthin, my MDS 40 was lke that on take off one day, i took off and got a deadstick, she was only like 4 ft off the ground. I brought it back, a guy came over, helped me out. We ended up changing the glow plug and reset the mixture because the heat change compared to last year.

also if i dont let my mds warm up enough, it will sputter and evertually die when i give it full throttle
Old 08-05-2005, 09:25 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds too lean to me on the low end or as was already stated not warm enough before takeoff. Once airborne you are probably flying at or above half throttle which is more the high speed needle then the low end, but during takeoff and climb you are transitiong from low end to high end and the low speed needle will cause this
Old 08-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Nitro Dew

Thanks guys ... that's kinda of where of I thought the problem could be. I'll rich it up a bit on low end and go from there.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:12 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That's exactly what is the problem, it's too lean. A trick that will help you is when you are tuning the motor on the ground lift the plane up and hold it with the engine pointing straight up for 30-35 seconds with the motor running full open. Make sure you lift with both hands and that you have a firm grip on the plane. If your motor is tuned properly the motor will continue to run at full speed. If it sags off or dies then you have it too lean and need to richen it up.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 08-05-2005, 07:53 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

plane freak you said a bad word mds and dead stick in the same sentence..............i was just curious are the smaller engines as funny on the carburetor settings as the bigger ones are i have a 78?i haven't really had any problems with mine except had to nylon tie the muffler to the body,i lost one.but the remote needle seems to stay wet i cant actually see a leak Ive pressurized it and all,replaced the copper washers.i have about 2 hours on the engine now and the carburetor settings seems to be getting better.....happy flying
Old 08-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Nitro Dew

Problem solved! Too lean of a mixture, adjusted accordingly and it runs great. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your engine is not properly tuned up-both low and high end.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:12 AM
plane_freek

ya ive had some problems with this thing, ex, take off slpurging, had to pull the needle valve out SEVERAL times and regrease it, my bearings are just about shot ( i should change those), but this year i havent had any problems with it really this year except mixture. AND YES I SAID DEADSTICK AND MDS IN THE SENTENCE, luckily i had a strong tail wind to push e pack a bit, otherwise i would have been in weeds