Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First RC Plane need help to build?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First RC Plane need help to build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:39 PM
AviationCreation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First RC Plane need help to build?

Hello!
I'm a 32yr old first RC flyer! I bought my first RC kit that was ARF. It is a Cox Electra J3 Cub.

Now that the easy assembly is finished, what's next? It didn't come with any instructions, so I'm not really sure what I need. Here's what was included in the kit: the plane parts, two control rods, a bed of some sort in the middle of the plane that I would imagine the R/C something mounts to, a little electric engine with 2 propellers, and a red ribbon...which I'm sure serves a purpose, but it's beyond me (maybe to start the engine?).

No wiring, no transmitter, no receiver, no servos.... what do I need to get to finish off the plane to "flyable" status?

Please help this damsel in distress!
Thanks so much in advance,

Monica
Old 08-20-2005, 08:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: First RC Plane need help to build?

Monica,
Is it possible for you to take pictures of what you have and then post them here for us to see? That would make it a lot easier to help you sort out all of the parts and get you going.

Ken
Old 08-20-2005, 08:58 PM
AviationCreation

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the quick response. My digital camera is at work...but I'll be stopping by there tomorrow. The plane is, for the most part, assembled. If I take the wings off, there is a bay underneath there. I would think that is where the servos mount to. The ends of the control rods that go to the rudder and elevator (2 channel) are ready to be hooked up to something (servo?)

The motor has two contact posts on the firewall end. The plane does have a hole in the firewall, where I'd assume a wire harness would go through. You're right, pictures would help.

I've found some information online that says it uses 8 alkaline batteries (I'd have to verify if they were AA or AAA). There is no battery holder present in the plane...but that's easily picked up at Radio Shack, or my hobby store.

LOL you'd think with a degree in Electronics, I'd be able to rig something up, but I don't really know where to start.

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.

Regards,
Monica
Old 08-20-2005, 09:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Monica,
Ok. Yes, the servos go into the bay under the wing. And you are also correct about the control rods hooking to the servos. Am I to assume that you don't have a radio yet to control this with? If not, getting one may be your next step. It also sounds like this may be an electric bird. I wish I could be more help there, but I don't have a lot of experience with electrics. But don't worry, there are a bunch of people here on RCU that have tons of experience with them. They will more than likely wander by sometime and I'm sure that they will be able to help you.

Since I forgot to say this on my first post, welcome to the addiction!!!

Ken
Old 08-20-2005, 09:38 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monica and Ken

If this is the plane

http://international.ehobbies.com/rc-cox-8212.html

I just looked and it's very similar to the Parkzone setups. Believe it or not, the red ribbon gets tied onto the end to the antenna on the included transmitter and is used to gage wind speed. These planes do not do well in winds much above 5mph so how to tell is to tie the ribbon to the end of the antenna, pull the antenna all the way out and hold the transmitter so the antenna is straight out from you and look at the ribbon. If it's hanging down or raised by the wind up to about a 45 degree angle then you are good to fly. If it is anywhere from 45 degrees to straight out then it's your decision to fly. If it's straight out and flapping around allot then you will also feel the wind and I suggest until you get a little more comfortable to not fly it.

The ribbon is pretty goos at telling you when the wind is at or above 5mph, straight out is 5mph give or take one or two mph.

Keep us informed and as Ken said, welcome.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:08 PM
AviationCreation

Hi Guys!

Yes, it is an electric. I figured that a first plane would be safe to fly without me trying to mix fuel. :-D

I do not have a radio yet for it. I'm surfing eBay and some other hobby places, but there are so many to choose from. My local RC club says on their web site to get a 72Mhz radio, and they give their list of channels. So, I think I have some serious research to understand a whole new language!! Once you buy a radio, can you change the channel? Some sites I've surfed on, sell crystals that are tuned to different frequencies. Is this also the channel? Can you swap out crystals if someone on the airfield has the same channel as you?

Regarding the red ribbon... that's the furthest thing I would have thought it would be for. Since this kit didn't come with any of the flight components, only the plane shell and the electric engine, I'll have to raid the hobby store. We have a Hobby Town USA and a Hobby Lobby locally. I don't think the Hobby Lobby has any RC stuff. I know the Hobby Town does.

Anyone have suggestions on the type of radio? It's a 2ch plane... but if I 'upgrade' wouldn't I need more channels?

Thanks!
Monica
Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: AviationCreation

Hi Guys!

Yes, it is an electric. I figured that a first plane would be safe to fly without me trying to mix fuel. :-D
Actually, you don't have to mix fuel. You buy it already mixed and ready to use

I do not have a radio yet for it. I'm surfing eBay and some other hobby places, but there are so many to choose from. My local RC club says on their web site to get a 72Mhz radio, and they give their list of channels. So, I think I have some serious research to understand a whole new language!! Once you buy a radio, can you change the channel? Some sites I've surfed on, sell crystals that are tuned to different frequencies. Is this also the channel? Can you swap out crystals if someone on the airfield has the same channel as you?
Ok, a few answers here. Yes, you want a radio that is on 72 Mhz. This is because that frequency range has been reserved for use by RC aircraft, while surface radios use different frquencies. This is important that you don't get interference while you are flying. You don't want your plane to crash because someboy a couple of blocks away is playing with an RC car. And yes, they can be controlled from that far away (range is usually about 1-1/2 miles or so).

There are different channels that that multiple planes can be flown at the same time. You just can't have 2 planes on the same channel flying at the same time. Most clubs have systems in effect to control channels so only one plane on a given channel is in the air at one time. As far as changing channels by swapping crystals, you can change the receiver. This is usually done so that a receiver can be changed to another channel to work with a different transmitter. You cannot change the frequency of your transmitter. I know you said you have a degree in electronics so this last statement may sound a little silly, especially since it seems that all you have to do is swap out a crystal. It may be simple, but it is illegal to change the channel on the radio yourself. This must be done by the manufacturer or repair shop. This is because they are supposed to retune the transmitter circuit when the channel is changed. This is a FCC regulation that applies here in the US. This doesn't apply to transmitters with frequency modules, but those type of radios aren't very widely used, but it does apply to all other radios.

I hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-15-2015, 12:20 PM
str8whiteteeth

I've got a Breezy Sr. Kit with no assembly instructions. Can anyone help me?