Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel Pump

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:55 PM
figment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

I had a Hobbico electric fuel pump that worked great for a very short period of time. Last month at our club meeting, I won a Hanger 9 manual pump in the raffle. I thought it would be great for a backup, and the very next time out, the electric pump quit pumping. It was as if a gear had disengaged or something.

Anyhow, the manual pump is fine and has it's place for estimating the amount of fuel over time that you use, but I miss the ease of fueling with the electric pump. Call my lazy I guess Actually, all the bending over to work on the flight line is rough on my back.

So, I have heard nothing but bad things about electric pumps from the guys at the field. Most of them use the manual pumps. So, can anyone recommend an electric pump that will last?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 08-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Norm Nestie

Default RE: Fuel Pump

I've been using a Thunder Tiger electric fuel pump for the past 4 years, no problem. I sure know what you mean about the ol back though.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:52 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I've heard of the Hobbico pumps lasting several years, and only a few months... I guess it's kind of hit or miss. Mine has lasted over a year and has pumped about 30 gallons of fuel so far.

If you believe that you get what you pay for, this one claims to "last for years"....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFH66&P=7
Old 08-22-2005, 10:55 PM
forestroke

isn't there some kind of warranty for that? from tower, it will carry a one year warranty. i have a hobbico top fueler pump i've been using for about a year now without much fuss. i don't use the switch at all since i have it connected to my power panel. but if you are using the switch, i wouldn't be surprised if it were the switch that has gone bad. does the motor turn?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 AM
figment

fourstroke: The motor still turns, but it acts as if it has lost prime. I blew into a clean fuel line attached to the vent hole in the bottle while running it though, and that didn't help. The warrenty is long gone... I was out of the hobby for 4 years, but the pump only has about 1 gallon through it.

pkh: Not gonna spend $57 [X(] Along the lines of getting what you pay for... believing marketing hype... wondering if the Sullivan pump is any good:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDES1&P=ML

It does have, after all, an ultrasonically welded pump head
Old 08-23-2005, 01:32 AM
forestroke

figment - if you want to prime it, you need to suck!!! anyway, to prime it, you can use the manual pump to put fuel through the system then try it. four years will certainly wreak havoc to the seals, which have probably crumbled. i've never used a sullivan pump but i'm sure it'll be just as good. plus, you can show off that you've got an "Ultrasonically welded pump head"
Old 08-23-2005, 08:33 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

In that hobbico pump, there is a motor, with a small disc attached to the shaft. On that small disc are two protrusions that drive another disc connected to the pump. More than likely, one of those two discs has broken. Take it apart, and fix it with CA glue. I did this with mine, and it lasted another several months. It finally broke again, and I just bought a sullivan. Haven't had any problems with it yet--it's lasted most of this summer so far! It's direct drive, so gears breaking won't be an issue with it!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

THe man said it right, get a sullivan or slimline pump.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:02 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a sullivan for years then I got tired of the big old batteries for the flight box and the pain in the back they caused. Now I use a manual and just do it. I liked the sullivan and they preformed well. ENJOY !!!! RED
Old 08-24-2005, 12:13 AM
figment

Thanks for the recomendation on the sullivan red. Zephyrhills huh? I grew up in Weeki Watchee up the road from you. Jumped out of a perfectly good airplane in your neck of the woods once Moved to TX 12 years ago now. I visited some family back home about 4 years ago. Wow... no longer the little town I grew up in. Do you no if the RC Club in Hernando county still flies out at the boy scout camp? That is where I caught the bug as a young lad.

Patrick
Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried the Hobbico electric pump and only had it last about 6 months. I have heard others complain about them and the Hanger-9 pump too. I have a Sonic-tronics electric pump that has been working for 15 years! Just used it yesterday. It is starting to get a little weak, but it still moves the fuel. I would recommend Sonic-tronics first, then Sullivan.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:03 PM
MannyEdge
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: ho2zoo

I would recommend Sonic-tronics first, then Sullivan.
Where can you purchase one (Sonic-tronics)?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 PM
figment

I am not at home right now, but there is an add in R/C Report magazine. Also, my LHS carries them.

Think I am going to go with the Sullivan though.

Patrick
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: forestroke

figment - if you want to prime it, you need to suck!!!
Edit: nevermind
Old 08-25-2005, 12:44 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: figment

I had a Hobbico electric fuel pump that worked great for a very short period of time. Last month at our club meeting, I won a Hanger 9 manual pump in the raffle.
My manual Hangar 9 POS pump quit after a little more than a year. Won't be buying any more of those anytime soon. My Dave Brown manual pump has worked flawlessly for years. I've always been happy with manual pumps, but that's largerly because for most of my planes, 8 oz is a huge tank. I just ordered a couple Hobbico electric pumps because it's gotten really tedious pumping 16-18 oz into the fuel thirsty boats I race.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:49 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Patrick -- Can't say about the club in Hernando as I haven't really spent much time at other areas yet, we just bought here after 13 years as full time travelers in a 5th wheel. By the way we spent a lot of time in your area around the Hill country, some good memories there. We also used to live in Corpus. If I get a chance I'll have to see about the club in Hernando. ENJOY !!!RED
Old 08-25-2005, 09:04 PM
forestroke

piper chuck - don't know what you were going to say, but something tells me i'm just a little better off not knowing
Old 08-26-2005, 02:51 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonic-tronics pumps can be found at:

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/

or

www.horizonhobby.com

Old 08-26-2005, 06:35 AM
woodbutcher

I had trouble with mine 3 years ago. Plastic disc was slipping on the motor shaft. Took the disc off, roughed up the shaft with a file and put the disc back on with some JB WELD. No problems since then.
Of course now that I've related my story I'm sure my pump won't work the next time out.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:15 PM
crawler tech

Is there some reason that a regular automotive fuel pump can't be used?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:26 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: crawler tech

Is there some reason that a regular automotive fuel pump can't be used?
How cheaply can you get one for?

The one's I've had were $60 or more...