Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 STRAPER >

STRAPER

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

STRAPER

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STRAPER

Hi everyone new to the hobbie and the forums can you guys tell me how the heck this thing attaches to my servo??

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p.../pl4112106.jpg

Is there a better way??

I am trying to complete a high wing sky raider.

Thanks
Dan
Old 08-22-2005, 11:15 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: STRAPER

Do use these connectors you need to create an "l-bend" in your control rod. This is simply a 90° bend in the control rod. You then use the keeper to keep it in place. See the attached diagram to clarify this. You can also find all the information you need concerning this at [link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/model_aircraft_hardware/linkages.htm]Airfield Models[/link] . This site is ran by RCU member cafeenman and has a wealth of information on it. You can easily lose hours when you are on his site. Check it out, it should answer most of your questions.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45541.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	313874  
Old 08-23-2005, 02:18 AM

the straper is slightly different. the WM version doesn't have two levels. bend the rod 90 degree angle then cut to length (be careful not to cut it too short). put the rod through the control horn then put it through the straper. attach the body of the straper to the rod. the keeper in this case would be the small section of fuel tubing.

be careful to cut the tubing cleanly or else it may break in flight. i've had a few times when it did break during flight... luckily, the straper stayed on. check the tubing each time before you fly to make sure they aren't ripping.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:52 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Forestroke,
Yes, I know. I was pretty tired last night and I was trying to find a picture to show how it was used. I guess if I had spent a little more time I could have come up with a better picture. That's a bad one on me.

Ken
Old 08-23-2005, 07:28 AM

Is there a tool out there that makes clean bends or do you just "wing" it.
LOL
Ok that was bad but seriously,I just want to clarify. Does the arm on the straper go on top of the servo horn or bottom?
I assume it goes underneath and the fuel line holds the rod into the horn.
Thanks
Dan
Old 08-23-2005, 08:07 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

tinbndr,
Ok, I'm a little more awake now. So let's see if I can do a better job of explaining this. First off, you really don't need a special tool to make the bend. Install the control rod on the surface it will attach too, turn on your radio, center your servo arm, lay the control rod over the servo arm, and mark where the L-bend will be. Then use a pair of pliers to hold the control rod at the mark you made and then bend the rest of the control rod so that you get a 90° bend in the rod.

Once you have the rod bent you now install the keeper. Put the L-bend through the hole in your servo arm. Then slide the keeper (straper) over the control rod that is sticking out of the bottom of the servo arm. Then you will "snap" the keep onto the control rod to keep it in place. See the attached diagram.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98463.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	313949  
Old 08-23-2005, 08:48 AM

Eureka!

Thanks Guys.

one more question: I noticed when I got my radio (6exas) that the reciver pack is a 600MAH nicad ? I have a offroad nitro backround and we use 1100 plus NIMH receiver packs and we only had two servos to run. Is it wise to upgrade receiver packs?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Tinbndr,
You can upgrade if you like. A bigger battery will give you a longer run time, which means you get more flights in before you have to recharge. IMHO, I prefer NiMH batteries over Ni-CADs and that is what I prefer to use. But it's not going to hurt anything if you don't put a bigger battery in.

Ken
Old 08-23-2005, 09:04 AM

Thanks Ken
Old 08-23-2005, 09:25 AM

ken - wasn't trying to knock you great job on finding the graphics (or creating them!!!)
Old 08-23-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always use the correct size link. Some ARF's use metric and some use non-metric. Here is a non-metric version. Never heard the term "strapper" before BTW.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZC3&P=7

If you use the wrong size, they may fall off the rod.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:55 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: forestroke

ken - wasn't trying to knock you great job on finding the graphics (or creating them!!!)
Forestroke,
Aww heck, I didn't think that at all. I know that I was tired last night when I did that. I was in a hurry, and I posted the first pic I found. I should know better than that.

Ken
Old 08-23-2005, 10:06 AM

I think i am gonna upgrade the receiver pack anyway because of the whole "memory" issue with ni cads. It's nice to just "top off" nimh and not worry about discharging the pack all the time. How far down do I need to run down the TX pack before I charge it?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

You don't want it to drop below 9.6v, that's the minimun voltage for the transmitter. I have 1600 MaH packs in my transmitters and they will go for an entire flying day. I just recharge them whenever I get back from the field.

Ken
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM

I was using the type of clip shown in RCKen's picture on my CG330 extreme with 3d control throws - the long arms on my servos pushed the clip off the 90 deg bend. I saw it while cleaning the plane - I got lucky - changed to other type clip. The clip in the first picture had the problem due to the large travel limits but mine snapped onto the bend - they came with the arf.