Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Should I cut my losses now?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Should I cut my losses now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:53 PM
BlackRider
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I cut my losses now?

I have purchased my second plane a Tiger 2 ARF and have begun to build it. It seem like I'm messing everything up every step of the way. Today I begun the Aileron Control Horn installation. I took my time and measured and marked everything. I thought I had everything perfectly straight and drilled my holes for the right wing. Went to install the horn and it's crooked. Of course it's crooked enough to be very noticeable but not so crooked to allow me drill another hole. So I thought I would save that side and post a question on here on how best to correct the error. So I went on to the left wing and tried to be twice as careful. Sure enough after drilling I am crooked. Again, just crooked enough to be noticeable and yet not so crooked where there is room enough to drill another hole. I'm sure there are ways to correct this but if I can't do something so simple as this, maybe I should cut my losses now before I go to much further. I love flying and I believe I'm pretty good at it but I'm wondering if I will be able to handle the building part of it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BR
Old 08-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Mr Akimoto
Banned

Default RE: Should I cut my losses now?

It sounds like you need to have your vision checked?

Anyway, when working with balsa, you shouldn't really worry about making minor errors like drilling holes in the wrong place or gluing the wrong parts together. All of this stuff is easily correctable after all you aren't welding the hull of a battleship together.

For bad holes, just fill them in with plastic wood, CA+, or Hobbico Balsa filler and drill another.

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto
Old 08-27-2005, 01:46 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem is that you are making it harder than it is. What is with all of the marking? Determine where you want the horn. Mark 1 (one) hole and drill it the proper size and install the horn. With the horn held in place by the one screw, straighten the horn and backing plate if needed. Take a drill that is small enough not to damage the plastic and drill the second hole from one side trying to get the correct angle to come through the hole in the other piece. If you miss, drill from the other side to connect the 2 sides. Remove the horn and apply a couple of drops of CA to toughen the area, let kick. Clean up/enlarge/ re-drill holes as needed after the CA has kicked. Install horn and tighten. Done.

For your existing problem horns, just slot/elongate one hole a little and then CA to toughen the wood. You can wood fill if you desire. BTW - your eyes are probably fine. You just lack experience and there is only one way to get that.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:00 PM
hhhhhhhhh
Banned

just take ur time,m8
Old 08-27-2005, 04:11 PM
DaveB

I have been building planes for years and I have yet to build one where I haven't either made a mistake or could have done it better. It's part of the hobby, hang in there. There is not a plane that flies that doesn't have a flaw somewhere or another.

DaveB
Old 08-27-2005, 05:34 PM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

when I first started building planes I was using a drill to big, always out of controll. use a dremel tool or a hand set! Dont give up on that tiger 2 It's a very nice flying plane you wont regret it
I have one and love it... As for making mistakes I think eveyone in this forum messed up every now and again. KEEP BUILDING!
Old 08-27-2005, 11:03 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

if the horn is just crooked a little but in the right location with the hinge line just loosen the screws and twist the horn,if it is totally in the wrong place like was said here fill and drill just use scrap balsa cut slightly bigger than the drilled hole and wet it with some white glue and plug and sand it back flat,if the covering is in place already trim it back some make repairs then reseal it.lordy every kit i have built has something slightly out of place on it or something strengthened here or there.good thing about wood it is easily repaired.that plane is very forgiving as most are,unless you are flying imac or in competition.hope this helps....happy flying
Old 08-27-2005, 11:16 PM
jsixpack1

I have a little trick which worked great for me. Take a toothpick (has to be a round ond one), cut off and dispose of the pointy tip. Put a bit of CA on it and stick it in the hole. After the CA dires just cut the tootpick flush with the surface (I used side cutters). Sand it smooth and its ready to re-drill..
I've done this when I replaced a control horn with another and the holes didn't quite line up.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:12 AM
bentgear

Another idea that might work or you. Put the control horn in place and get it lined up just like you want it. Now put one small drop of CA on one side, it will wick up under the horn. Let it set, then drill your holes using the horn as a guide. I like to chuck up a bit in a cordless Dremmel that will just fit thru the hole in the horn. Most of the time, at least on an aileron you are working on a tapered surface so remember to drill the hole 90 degrees to the hinge, not 90 degrees to the surface it mounts on.

Ed M.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:37 AM
BlackRider
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for all the replies. I did indeed give it another try and I was able to get both the horns mostly straight. I figured that failure was not an option after all the money I have already invested into the hobby. (My wife would absolutely kill me if I told her I was quitting.) I have in fact completed the wing and mounted it onto the plane. I am now moving onto the tail. I will use the suggestions I've read to hopefully do a better job there.

Thanks again!
BR
Old 08-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Nubie_1

I just finished my second plane my first was a rtf and the twist i just did was a arf and i used a little stick tacky witch is a little yellow like gum substance for putting on walls for pictures or other thing to temporary put things on the plane like control horns and even used it on my motor to mount it to the rails to get everything aligned before i used aether a drill or punch to mark my spots for drilling this way i could move thing around and really get a good look to make sure i was doing things right without things moving around or fighting with a clamp in the way that would obscure my sight lines. I just wanted to bring this up thought maybe this might help some people out.

Chris