Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Challenger Motor Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aerobird Challenger Motor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 04:07 PM
dabspk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Challenger Motor Problem

Hello All,

Brand new here, sorry if this is an old Q -- I did a search first....

I have now my second Challenger, the first died on its second flight after landing in the only puddle on a soccer field

Now I took my second, just a new body, out for its 3 or 4th flight after a long period of not using it and the motor is quiting out on me. It starts up fine, goes to full power and then dies after a few seconds. This is with new batteries in the radio, and I tried all three of my battery packs (which I believe are fully charged) with the same results.

I'm about to toss this bugger in the trash... any ideas as to what the prob might be?

Old 09-12-2005, 04:37 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aerobird Challenger Motor Problem

Hi and welcome to RCU. That said I'll start out by admitting I know almost nothing about electrics. While not trying to chase you or anyone else off I think you might have better luck posting in a different forum. Try these:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_148/tt.htm
or the new forum started by RCU just for electric people: www.WATTFLYER.COM

Feel free to wait around here as someone may be able to answer your question. I was just trying to increase your chances of success. Good luck and welcome to RC flying.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:36 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerobird Challenger Motor Problem

Get a multimeter and measure the voltage of the batteries when the engine quits. Could be the batteries have gone bad on you in the long period of non-use. If it goes to full throttle and then dies, its the low voltage cutoff. These planes have an automatic cutoff at low voltage that protects the plane. It kills power to the engine while the batteries still have enough charge to operate the control surfaces, allowing you to safely land the plane. When you hit the reset switch, it resets the cutoff.

Put the batteries on an overnight charge. How many cells are there in the packs? A 4 cell pack should read between 5.5 and 6 volts after an overnight charge. A 6 cell pack should read between 8.5 and 9 volts.